Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Wurst meets Grill--hold the flareups

Wurst meets Grill--hold the flareups

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:47 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Grill sausages is one of the surest ways to turn your grill into a conflagration. Here are some of my strategies for avoiding flare-ups.
[*]
http://barbecuebible.com/2013/08/22/gri ... kQB_BY5tlI

What are YOUR tricks and techniques?

Post Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I think #1 is the rule I see most often broken. Relative to the size of the grill, it takes surprisingly few briquettes to provide enough heat to cook sausages. Trying to use high heat to get them done in 5 minutes usually results in burned and/or burst casings and an inferior end result, so as a corollary I'll add "allow plenty of time".

Post Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:46 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Guess I've just done enough sausages over the years that I've gotten pretty good with them. No real technique ... I just kind of know by instinct when to turn them or when to move them around.
There was a time, not all that many years ago, regardless of what I was grilling or barbecuing for everyone else, I had to burn 3 of the cheap Oscar Meyer hot dogs for my sister-in-law. I haven't burned an Oscar Meyer in 3 or 4 years. Don't think I've even bought an Oscar Meyer in 3 or 4 years.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:58 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've found that a moderate heat and if you can, grilling further above the coals works best for me. A raised direct method, if you will, on a ceramic cooker, ie raising the grate higher up using aftermarket options of even just some fire bricks. Otherwise and indirect approach on other grills.

I was reading your suggestions, Steven and thought "Don't you mention using a needle to prick the sausages prior to cooking in your How To Grill ?I think I remember there was something about a needle and cork? I could be wrong.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Mea culpa.

One of the downsides of book writing (as opposed to blogging) is that it doesn't reflect your evolution in thinking.

Back when I wrote How to Grill, I did prick bratwurst and other sausages, then poach them in beer, then finish them on the grill.

Since then, I've come to direct grilling or smoke-roasting. I don't prick and I don't poach (except for a bratwurst hot tub). Save the beer for drinking.

Live and learn!

SR

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:51 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
One of the downsides of book writing (as opposed to blogging) is that it doesn't reflect your evolution in thinking.
Absolutely, and especially when it comes to a fluid, constantly changing subject like cooking. If I'm leafing through a cookbook and come across something that seems a little odd I'll check the copyright date to see if it's "old knowledge".

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Good point, Steven. That didn't occur to me.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Here are a few Italian sausages I cooked this weekend according to Steven's instructions. I stuck with direct heat, but cranked it down a bit. See how lightly oiling the casings helps them brown?

This is from another post but I'll repeat it here. Sausages are often curved so they don't always behave on the grill. I like my sausages evenly browned on all sides, so here's a trick I devised: turn them 90 degrees to finish cooking. The grill marks are already on the sausages, so putting them vertically between the bars of the grill grate keeps them from falling over. Nice flareup in the pic, too, but that was just happy coincidence - these sausages behaved well.

In fact, they brown evenly like that. Here are the finished sausages along with a pork chop I grilled at the same time - they all turned out perfect:

Thanks for the extra tips, Steven! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion