Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Dry-aged bone-in Rib eye (pix)

Dry-aged bone-in Rib eye (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I had been dry-aging this for about 90 days. I took it out of my aging fridge to butcher, and began slicing as usual. I hit a really hard spot, and decided to sharpen my knife. When it STILL wouldn't cut through, I flipped the meat over and discovered why. I forgot I had purchased a bone-in sub-primal. Normally Restaurant Depot only carried boneless.

SO it was either cut about 6 two-inch monster steaks, or do some butchering. I cut the first with the bone, about 2.5 inches (for tonight's mini rib roast.. the kids are in college so it's just me and the wife.) I did another slightly thinner bone-in, but realized the rest would all end up 2-inchers.

I usually like to get about 9-10 1.5 inchers out of a sub-primal. It looked pretty forbidding, but I sharpened my knife again and went to work. It actually was not THAT hard a job (though I did put a nasty little slice in my thumb. Once I got that bandaged, the rest went as usual. Now I have a good selection of Delmonicos, a bone-in for a special lunch, the mini-prime-rib AND the bonus beef ribs for another special lunch. All in all, next time I think I'll just go with the boneless though. Professional butchers need to work too ... :wink: .

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those look spectacularly good, PJ! When a couple of those hit the grill they're going to smell fantastic!

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Nice job phillyjazz. Enjoy!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

phillyjazz wrote:
Now I have a good selection of Delmonicos, a bone-in for a special lunch, the mini-prime-rib AND the bonus beef ribs for another special lunch....

All that meat looks fantastic, Philly! So when do we get invited for lunch? :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

When 90 days are up, how about a Barbecue Board reunion! Nice work--just try to keep all 10 digits intact.

Post Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:55 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

LOL !! From now on, I'll definitely keep my knives sharper. I always have a freezer full of these bad boys (they freeze surprisingly well) so if anyone is ever in Philly, please stop by ! Always ready to grill some of these up ! BTW, the ribs were WAY meatier than they looked.. Better than those you might find in a supermarket meat case...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to General Discussion