Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Electric Smoker Question?

Electric Smoker Question?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:02 pm
jconway23 rare
rare

Hey All,

Looking to purchase an electric smoker. A friend of mine has this. http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070 ... ilt+smoker He said he loves it. I already have a char-griller I use alot, but when its colder out (I live in NE PA) it gets harder to use. Just looking for some advice.

I don't want to spend a ton of money. But willing to pay for a better product.

Thanks in advance....

Jesse

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:15 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I have a MasterBuilt that I have purely for making jerky and smoking fish. I usually run it at 180 degrees. It's a pretty good, well insulated, digital smoker. One problem I have, and from reading about them it's fairly common, my first pan of chips smolders good but when I reload, it's hard to get the chips to smolder. I'll take one or two small pieces of charcoal that's leftover in one of my Webers and ignite them, let my 2nd or sometimes even 3rd load of chips start to smolder from the charcoal before I dump the pan into the smoke chamber. My MasterBuilt is 5 or 6 years old. Maybe they've solved this problem by now.
Best electric smokers (and inexpensive) were the Luhr-Jensenn Big Chief's. I had two of them that each lasted about 12 - 15 years before the heating element burned out. You can now get an insulating blanket from Luhr-Jensenn for colder weather smokes. Pnly downside is they are nor digital and no way to regulate the temperature. Think the book or Luhr-Jensenn web site says that they are optimized at about 165 or 170 degrees
Cabela's also carry the smaller CookShack but they're a little more expensive than the MasterBuilt but are better quality.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:11 am
jconway23 rare
rare

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to sit around and monitor something all day. I'll have to do some more research I guess.

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've got a number of friends and neighbors who own MasterBuilt smokers and I've heard a lot of positive feedback on them. In fact, I heard so many good reviews that I've tried them out a few times and had no issues whatsoever. The price is right too, so you might want to get one. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:34 am
Trollby well done
well done

Reading the reviews from different places it looks like the Master Chef has an issue with the heating element.

If you get one double check warranty, some say depends on were you buy and can be 90 days to 2 years

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/ga ... 70910.html

is the link to get parts you may want to bookmark

Post Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:39 am
jconway23 rare
rare

I'll probably stick with masterbuilt. Alot of people seem to like them. And my friend uses his alot. Good price on it too.

Thanks all for the help and advice......

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:57 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Trollby wrote:
Reading the reviews from different places it looks like the Master Chef has an issue with the heating element.

If you get one double check warranty, some say depends on were you buy and can be 90 days to 2 years

http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/ga ... 70910.html

is the link to get parts you may want to bookmark

Guessing, don't know for sure, that Master Chef is made by MasterBuilt. Mine is a MaterBuilt. I did some web searching when I first got mine and found it to be a common problem for the chips not to smolder. Problem is that there is no bottom venting and chips start to smolder then die out. I use mine to cold smoke - usually about 180 degrees - and make jerky and smoke fish. I've solved my problem by igniting a small piece of leftover charcoal from one of my grills to smolder chips and not closing the chip holder all of the way to let some air circulate. After I "dump" the chips, I will pull out the dumper to let some air into the bottom of the smoker that way.
I did three wild caught steelhead fillets yesterday that turned out great.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
I did three wild caught steelhead fillets yesterday that turned out great.
We really need to get you up to speed when it comes to posting photos! :lol:

Post Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:50 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Yeah, I know. Gotta start doing it one of these days. Used to take pictures with the intent of posting. Haven't even taken pictures for a while.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion