Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot enough for you? Hatch chilies

Hot enough for you? Hatch chilies

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:57 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

They're back! New Mexico's hatch chilies. This weekend is the Hatch Chili Festival. Read all about it and how to roast hatch chilies here: http://barbecuebible.com/2013/08/28/down-the-hatch-new-mexicos-flame-roasted-chiles/#.UiBr1hY5ulI What's YOUR favorite way to burn it up?

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:11 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll bet Hatches would make some good ABT canoes!

Apparently chile roasting is spreading beyond the confines of New Mexico. On another board I frequent it was posted that a supermarket in Ohio (Meijer, I think) had a roaster in its parking lot.

I generally prefer sauces, salsas, and marinades to whole chiles, with the exception being pickled cherry peppers.

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:04 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I noticed you linked to a Melissa’s website and cookbook. I used to work with a guy who's cousin started Melissa's. The Hernandez's are from Texas! When he retired from the military he went to work there as a regional salesman. Always liked their products.

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:59 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Screaming Chicken - I like those cherry peppers stuffed with an anchovy, but I like the hot cherry pepper. Hot cherry peppers are hard to find. Did the Woodman's N. Aurora run last weekend thinking I'd find them there. All they had was the mild and I checked some other multi-ethnic stores with no success. Driving back from Ohio last Thursday and stopped at the Pickle Factory in Angola, IN - no hot cherry peppers - only mild. Getting ready to drive away without cherry peppers when I smacked myself up top the side of the head and went back in and bought three jars of mild cherry peppers. Brought them home and opened the first jar and added about 1/4 tbs. Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce to the brine. I now have some nice hot cherry peppers.
Mentioned when I ate it 6 or 7 weeks ago - 1/2 lb grass fed fresh ground burger topped with, in some form, bhut jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, habanero, Thai chili, jalapeno, and cayenne. It was a nice heat, but so much that I did not get to enjoy the nuances of the individual chilies.
Don't think I've ever seen the Hatch chilies in the Chicago area but there is a nice selection of fresh chilies available. I do more pepper pickling than roasting. Don't need a roaster - just roast on one of my Webers.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

In the Los Angeles area, El Rey Farms from Hatch New Mexico delivers truck loads a hatch chilies once a week to a location at La Puente High School beginning about Aug 20 through late September on Saturdays. Big crowds, great chile.

About $40 for a 38 pound sack. You can find them at http://elreyfarms.com/

Though they will roast them for you on the site for a small fee, I prefer to do it myself on the gas grill/or the charcoal grill, depending on what taste I want. I still have about 5lbs in the freezer from last year. I bought about 70 lbs this year. There is usually some interesting discussions with my wife during this time of year (re:space in freezer)

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

70 pounds sounds like a lot - just how much space do they take up?

I have no idea how much a fresh Hatch weighs. If it was 2 oz. that'd be 8 to a pound, or 560 chiles.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm
JPET medium-rare
medium-rare

I think eight to a pound is a bit low. Maybe more like 16. After I roast them I usually get about 20 medium zip lock bags full. Also, roasting gets some of the moisture out, therefore less space needed . I do make fresh salsa as well with those I don't roast. I peel the ones I roast after roasting to use immediately, and I keep the skins on to freeze. Then defrost and peel when needed.

But yes, even twenty bags causes my wife to raise an eyebrow. Good thing our 2nd refrigerator does have a good sized freezer. We usually consume 5 unfrozen bags of chile( but refrigerated) within the 3 weeks.

El Rey Farms does ship to almost anywhere their dried whole red chile. Their whole red dried hatch chile is really great. I suggest that you always buy more than you think you need. It's that good. I just put about 10-20 of the whole dried red chiles in about 2-3 inches of low boiling water for about 5 minutes,stir occasionally, then turn off the heat and let them steam for about 20 minutes. Then, using a blender or processor, mix as long as necessary (3-4 minutes), add water as needed. Some people add other spices, I don't. I then strain to get some of harder skin pieces out.

They also sell powdered green or red chile.

Return to General Discussion