Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion I'm Back, Hopefully For A While

I'm Back, Hopefully For A While

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:32 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Been an interesting couple of weeks. Left two weeks ago Sunday for Indianapolis to attend a professional certification class for my business. Got home late Friday night of Labor Day weekend.
One of my aunts passed away in Ohio on Saturday. Off to Ohio early Tuesday morning and back late last night.
Almost 2000 miles on the car in less than two weeks.
Did manage to get some good cooks in over Labor Day weekend. Whole beef tenderloin on Saturday, ribs on Sunday, and chicken wings on Monday. Did fresh sweet corn on the grill both Saturday and Sunday.
Knew going to Ohio that I had to try to find some fish to cold smoke to take to my family. Got two nice rainbow trout, a golden trout, and a porgy from local fresh market that has a nice fish / seafood case. Used Billy "Bones" Wall's Caribbean Smoke to cure and cold smoked on mesquite tempered with white oak. Turned out good.
Hopefully be home for foreseeable future so I can get some work done and grilling / barbecue on a more regular basis.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:26 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's too bad about your aunt, Larry. I hope she had a good life.

Glad you're going to be able to be around for awhile - sounds like you haven't lost your grilling touch!

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Thanks. She did have a very good life and death was sudden and painless - just her and my uncle. They knew each other since she was 4 and he was 7 and would have been married 62 years next month.
Guess the good thing was I got to see "cousins" from her side of the family that I grew up with but hadn't seen in probably 40 years. It was nice to catch up with them.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:07 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry for your loss, Cactus1. It's great to see you back, though.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:41 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:

Thanks CharredGriller.
I'm not winning for losing ... Allergies have been bad all summer. Woke up a little after 3 this morning with the granddaddy of all Summer colds. Record September heat and humidity in the Chicago area is not helping.
May have to erect an umbrella over the grill tomorrow - haven't even thought about what I'm going to cook - but really looking forward to the storms rolling through tomorrow afternoon to break the heat and humidity. 60's & 70's for the foreseeable future - I'll take those temps all year long.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:55 am
BBQ Deputy

Good luck with the cooks, Larry. Looks like it's going to be a nice weekend!

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

Thanks CharredGriller.
I'm not winning for losing ... Allergies have been bad all summer. Woke up a little after 3 this morning with the granddaddy of all Summer colds. Record September heat and humidity in the Chicago area is not helping.
May have to erect an umbrella over the grill tomorrow - haven't even thought about what I'm going to cook - but really looking forward to the storms rolling through tomorrow afternoon to break the heat and humidity. 60's & 70's for the foreseeable future - I'll take those temps all year long.

We've got the same weather up here except the temps will be in the 70s and low 80s. Fortunately the heat seems to have dried things out and the oppressive rain and humidity we had a few weeks ago is going away.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:36 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Heat and humidity have broken! May not even hit 70 tomorrow.
My bad summer cold turned out to be a bad bacterial bronchitis. Ended up in ER about 1:30 Wednesday morning because I was wheezing and knew I wasn't getting enough oxygen into my system. Ran the whole gamut of tests and all is good. Immediate relief and oxygen level up 14% with first hit of the inhaler. Antibiotocs, probiotics, steroids, and mucus reliever for next 4 days but I feel 150% better than I did 48 hours ago. Have to do an allergy panel in 10 days to figure out what my allergies are. I was allergic to fresh cut grass as a kid and took a couple of the now over the counter meds when they were prescription. Thought I grew out of allergy but they've been back with a vengeance this summer and over the counter is not working.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 am
BBQ Deputy

I'm sorry to hear you had to go to the ER but at least they nailed it down right away.

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:11 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I'm sorry to hear you had to go to the ER but at least they nailed it down right away.

Beat the heck out of not getting the oxygen that I needed. First trip to the ER for me in 45 years.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion