Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Maple Turkey breast

Smoked Maple Turkey breast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 am
sroach well done
well done

Looking for something new to put on the grill this weekend, I happen along on the Maple Smoked Turkey breast from BBQ USA.

Steven's recipe called for a 4-5 lbs bone in breast, but all the store had was a 7.5 lbs, okay that just means a second meal during the week.

Rubbed the breast the night before (turkey breast that is :lol:) got the egg set up for indirect, kept the one side of the grate open so I can feed wood chunks:

After the first basting, maple syrup and melted butter.... about 45 minutes in:

Done and sampled!!! I couldn't believe the color and the juicy-ness this was one fine turkey breast.

Hand plenty left over, which we will used for some awesome Turkey Club sandwiches later on in the week. Sliced it as think as I could"

Great recipe, I will use something like this for Thanksgiving, the turkey was a big hit at the dinner table.

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks great! How sweet was the final result? I've looked at that recipe many times but have always been put off by the maple syrup aspect.

Doesn't it suck when you have to make more food than you need? :wink:

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:44 am
Griffin well done
well done

Ah yeah! Looks great and I'm sure the future sammiches will be wonderful.

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:09 pm
sroach well done
well done

Thanks Guys,

The skin was outstanding, but not too sweet. @SC - I only had the brown sugar for the rub not the maple sugar the recipe calls for.

Griffin, I bought some thick pepper bacon to make some sammies with, just as excited for those.. LOL

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:56 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

sroach - Nice looking turkey breast, bet it tasted every bit as good as it looked.
Thanksgiving is the family holiday that we host and I usually do a couple 6 or 7 lb. turkey breasts + 1/2 dozen or so wings.
Last couple of years, since I got the larger WSM, I do a whole 18 - 20 lb. turkey + the wings. I Buffalo the wings.
Going to have to keep in mind the maple glaze for this year. In fact I might have to look for a turkey, or at least some wings, to practice. Nicely crisped up wing with a maple glaze then toss with a nice buttery hot Buffalo sauce. I can taste them now!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent job, sroach! That's a favorite at my place (because I don't cook it as often as some folks would like). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm
sroach well done
well done

@Cactus - funny you say that, I was thinking that I would do this as a test for TG.. and I love your idea with the buffalo wings.

@CG - This will be a standard on my rotation as well, having left over Turkey for sandwiches are later in the week was a big hit as well.

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

sroach wrote:
@Cactus - funny you say that, I was thinking that I would do this as a test for TG.. and I love your idea with the buffalo wings.

@CG - This will be a standard on my rotation as well, having left over Turkey for sandwiches are later in the week was a big hit as well.

I first got the idea back in 1997. I hosted a Canadian Thanksgiving party and ordered 50 wings - split into 100 pieces from my butcher. He thought I was nuts until I took him some. I even took some to the Hooters girl that sold me the sauce. My smoker was busy that day.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion