Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Are you ready for some football?

Are you ready for some football?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:02 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The college games started last weekend and the first NFL game was last night, so tomorrow starts the first full weekend of the football season. Anybody doing anything special to kick things off? This month's Block Party theme is pork so this would be a great opportunity for some entries! :wink:

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:50 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I'm going to a Division III game on Saturday at the Chicago Fire's Toyota Park. Ohio's John Carroll vs Wisconsin's St. Norbert's.
John Carroll and St. Norbert's played last year in Dublin, Ireland as a prelude to the Notre Dame vs Navy game.
My brother and his two oldest sons all played football at John Carroll. My brother in the mid 1970's and nephews in late 1990's and early 2000's. Washington Redskins middle linebacker, London Fletcher, is entering his 16th, and probably final, NFL season and has never missed a game. He played his college football at John Carroll.
My brother, his wife, and younger of the two nephews went to Dublin for last year's game and are in Chicago for tomorrow's game. Older nephew couldn't go to Ireland and won't be here due to prior business commitments.
Good deal - a $10 ticket gets me a good reserved seat plus a two hour tailgate prior to kickoff.
My Buckeyes get San Diego St tomorrow and my Browns get the Dolphins on Sunday.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:49 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Going to be a loooooooooooooooong season!
My Browns made huge mistake last year - should have kept the quarterback they cut - Colt McCoy, and cut the quarterback they kept - Brandon Wheedon. Wheedon had three picks in his first twelve passes and ended up throwing ineffectively 53 passes altogether.
Think Jim Brown sat up in the box and just shook his head as they didn't use Trent Richardson as intended. Otto Graham, looking down, probably mumbled to himself, "This once was a proud championship caliber football team."
Who knows what Paul Brown or even Blanton Collier, wherever they are, thought as they watched. Sam Rutigliano and the "Kardiac Kids" all tuned out before the end of the 1st quarter and watched real football teams play real football games.
Oh yeah, JCU beat St. Norbert's 41 - 0. Game and tailgate were a lot of fun.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I learned on Saturday that Brian Sipe is the offensive coordinator for San Diego State. Unfortunately, he didn't have any solution for the Ohio State defense...

Apparently the term "pigskin" comes from the use of pig bladders to inflate leather spheres hundreds of years ago. I've never seen a recipe for grilled or smoked pig bladder...it sounds like something that might result from a collaboration of Steven and Andrew Zimmern! :lol:

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:07 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Sipe didn't want to go to Cleveland when he found out Wheedon was still there + he played enough cold weather games in the old Cleveland Stadium. Mid-December wind blowing off of Lake Erie ... yeah, I'd rather be in San Diego to ... don't care if they can't stop a little guy flag football team.
They make that weird, and from I've read, nasty stuff in Scotland - haggie or hagis - something like that - using a sheep stomach - they probably use mutton and need to get some dip from Owensboro. At least if they use a pig's stomach, they could get some nice bacon flavor when they hang it over the fire.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:15 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I learned on Saturday that Brian Sipe is the offensive coordinator for San Diego State. Unfortunately, he didn't have any solution for the Ohio State defense...

Apparently the term "pigskin" comes from the use of pig bladders to inflate leather spheres hundreds of years ago. I've never seen a recipe for grilled or smoked pig bladder...it sounds like something that might result from a collaboration of Steven and Andrew Zimmern! :lol:

There was a guy at the John Carroll vs St. Norbert's game on Saturday ... would guess he was around 40 ... had something wrong with his foot and was using a cane ... wearing an Ohio State Big 10 Championship ring from 2010 and the big gaudy ring that was made for last year's undefeated, but championship ineligible, Ohio State team. Not sure who he was but heard someone say his name was Chapman and has two sons on the John Carroll football team. I heard him say that he can't wait for his foot to completely heal so he can get back to Ohio State.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion