Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Bologna Question- Updated with Pix

Smoked Bologna Question- Updated with Pix

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:09 pm
d_holck well done
well done

I've got an overnight cook this weekend (church picnic) some buddies and I will be up "tending the fire" throughout the night. We'll do probably 20 racks of ribs, a pork shoulder or two, 50-60 brats, and a couple veggie burgers. 8)

It's on me to come up with a breakfast we can put on in the early-morning hours and enjoy as the ribs approach the finish line. I'm thinking of smoked bologna, but I'd like some feedback on a twist I have in mind...

I'm thinking of "carving out" part of the center and adding in some fillings? Maybe baked beans? Bacon and eggs? Poblano peppers? Bacon and eggs AND peppers... hmmm. I've done fatties before, but often end up with a gooey leaky mess. I'm thinking the more solid consistency of bologna would be an advantage...

If it would work, it would be like a fatty on steroids. Or maybe I'm bat-sh :twisted: t crazy. What do you think?
Last edited by d_holck on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:51 am
Griffin well done
well done

Very intriguing idea. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Stuff it with a fatty!

Eggs would be interesting but I'm not sure how well they'd cook if they were raw. Are you thinking about soft-boiling them first?

Hot baloney, eggs, and gravy...who can name the song without looking it up online? :lol:

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'd agree with the fatty idea. Eggs can be a pain to stuff things with as they get overcooked or undercooked, but hardly ever cooked the way everyone likes them. You could go with bacon, sausage, and peppers, though. Nix on the baked beans as they'll be too runny.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Stuff it with a fatty!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I LOVE IT!!! :D

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:21 pm
d_holck well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Stuff it with a fatty!

Eggs would be interesting but I'm not sure how well they'd cook if they were raw. Are you thinking about soft-boiling them first?

Hot baloney, eggs, and gravy...who can name the song without looking it up online? :lol:

Once we put a Taco Bell burrito inside the fatty... the tortilla acted as a leak-proof container to hold those stuffings.

Actually, I was thinking of scrambling the eggs soft, with the bacon and peppers (also partially cooked) to be sort of a Western omelet inside the baloney. My mind is reeling with possibilities.

I'll definitely take some pictures of this. It'll be awesome, or the worst idea ever.

Doug
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:04 pm
d_holck well done
well done

Results: There's some definite potential, and for a first try, not bad at all. The saltiness was a little much, should have put more peppers in. Cheese would be a good idea, too, especially since the 'walls' of bologna held firm. Maybe even some sort of a sauce.... or salsa... hmmm.
Attachments
3.jpg
Carved out the 'log' with an ice cream scoop.
3.jpg (188.05 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
5.jpg
Filled the cavity with bacon, eggs, and peppers. Could have used more pepper.
5.jpg (200.12 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
8.jpg
Definitely picked up the smoke flavor. Next time, maybe brown sugar glaze instead of rub.
8.jpg (232.89 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

BBQ Deputy

Cool idea, Doug! It never occurred to me that you might stuff the bologna from the "top"; I was thinking that you'd core it lengthwise and stuff it that way. Glad to hear it was a hit!

Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Looks like the entire cook was an all 'round success! 8)

I was wondering what equipment was used to cook all that?

Great job Doug! :D

d_holck well done
well done

Bob-BQN wrote:
Looks like the entire cook was an all 'round success! 8)

I was wondering what equipment was used to cook all that?

Great job Doug! :D

Thanks Bob!

We had 3 UDS going, plus my Weber kettle (for the bologna) and then a large flat grill for the brats, burgers, etc.
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Cactus1 well done
well done

Bologna ideas are endless. How about slicing nice and thick - about 1/2" - and doing a high heat quick grill. Slice and grill toast a nice hard roll and spread liberally with butter. Pan grill some onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Pan grill some eggs over medium. Some nice cheese of choice. Maybe grill up a pound or so of bacon.
Assemble as follows - Bottom of grilled hard roll, slice of bologna, onions peppers and mushrooms, egg, bacon, slice of cheese, top of grilled hard roll. Beats the heck out of an Egg McMuffin any day.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Bologna ideas are endless. How about slicing nice and thick - about 1/2" - and doing a high heat quick grill. Slice and grill toast a nice hard roll and spread liberally with butter. Pan grill some onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Pan grill some eggs over medium. Some nice cheese of choice. Maybe grill up a pound or so of bacon.
Assemble as follows - Bottom of grilled hard roll, slice of bologna, onions peppers and mushrooms, egg, bacon, slice of cheese, top of grilled hard roll. Beats the heck out of an Egg McMuffin any day.

I've done variations on this theme and I've done exactly as suggested as well. Cactus1 is right - the Egg McMuffin pales in comparison.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

I've done variations on this theme and I've done exactly as suggested as well. Cactus1 is right - the Egg McMuffin pales in comparison.

I've done whole bologna chubbs but not for a long time. I do like to get 1/2" or so thick slices of a good bologna, sprinkle with a little rub, and high heat grill. Do it with the eggs, as above, for a breakfast sandwich, or ... What you can top with is endless ... try a little slaw like you would with a pulled pork sandwich ... my favorite is pan grill the onions, peppers (I like jalapenos), and mushrooms, a good cheese melted over, and just my favorite - imported from Cleveland - Stadium Mustard.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

BBQ Deputy

I have a couple of small ring bolognas in the freezer and with the cooler weather not too far off I need to think about what I'm going to do with them.

Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I have a couple of small ring bolognas in the freezer and with the cooler weather not too far off I need to think about what I'm going to do with them.

In the Midwest, I think ring bolognas are unique to Wisconsin and Ohio. Won't say that I can't find them if I look hard enoughbut they are not a regular deli case item.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Next

Return to General Discussion