Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Spit-roasting stood on its head

Spit-roasting stood on its head

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:39 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Z, when you slice the shawarma does the meat separate very much? Since I have a kettle rotisserie the one you did on a Weber caught my eye.

I'd like to know too. This thread got me thinking, so I tried some "shawarma" yesterday at one of the local food court vendors for lunch. Never again - the stuff was greasy and pulverized like the tuna in a tuna sandwich, not sliced like I'm used to it. Utter cr*p - I want my $6.50 back. :evil:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:13 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Brad,
The meat does not fall apart because it’s tightly compressed together.
In fact the slices tend to fuse together while cooking :D
ImageFree Image Hosting
ImageFree Image Hosting

CharredGriller,
I’m sorry you had a bad experience with Shawarma. Shawarma is supposed to be juicy from the slowly melted fat, but not greasy. It’s not supposed to be mushy, because it’s made of slices of meat and not ground or chopped meat. Gyros and Doner are some times made with ground meat, but never Shawarma. The slices should resemble strips of Fajitas meat and not like meat loaf or tuna as you described it.

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:28 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

BBcue-Z wrote:
Brad,
The meat does not fall apart because it’s tightly compressed together.
In fact the slices tend to fuse together while cooking :D

CharredGriller,
I’m sorry you had a bad experience with Shawarma. Shawarma is supposed to be juicy from the slowly melted fat, but not greasy. It’s not supposed to be mushy, because it’s made of slices of meat and not ground or chopped meat. Gyros and Doner are some times made with ground meat, but never Shawarma. The slices should resemble strips of Fajitas meat and not like meat loaf or tuna as you described it.

Yes - that's what I'm used to, which is why the stuff I had was so disappointing.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion