Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Labor Day cooking?

Labor Day cooking?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Since the unofficial end of summer in the U.S. is coming up this weekend, is anyone sending it out in style? I'm thinking Monday will be a nice day to cook something on the larger side...

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 am
rhino260 medium-rare
medium-rare

Fattys & Wings. One chili cheese dog fatty & a pizza fatty
Backwoods Party w/ DigiQ
Master Forge Vertical
Weber Charcoal
We're always smoking something!

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:45 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

My coworker just tried Burger King's "pulled pork" and he's been moping about it all day. I asked him if it was like shredded cardboard slow-cooked in BBQ sauce, and he said that it was actually worse.

As a result I think I'll cook up some of the real stuff and see what he thinks.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:58 am
Trollby well done
well done

We are going to a Milwaukee Brewer's game so doing the normal Brats and Burgers

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:15 pm
BBQ Deputy

Which game, Trollby? We have tickets for tomorrow night and hopefully the Harley party won't make the traffic too bad.

CG, the BKPP is available here, too, but I haven't been able to work up the nerve to try it. The same for Subway's version. :lol:

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:55 pm
Trollby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Which game, Trollby? We have tickets for tomorrow night and hopefully the Harley party won't make the traffic too bad.

CG, the BKPP is available here, too, but I haven't been able to work up the nerve to try it. The same for Subway's version. :lol:

Heading there Monday

Post Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 pm

I bought my first brisket to smoke on Sunday :mrgreen: I've smoked everything under the sun except a brisket!
So here's my plan: dry rub the night before, wrap in plastic and fire up the smoker at 9am. Smoke for 4 hours, slow cook for 4 hours, wrap in foil and cook some more until tender.

This is the exact same method I use on pork shoulder, so I figure it should work on a brisket!

CG with SFB

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:15 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hope all goes well with your brisket tomorrow Vince! If you're watching the internal temperatures, don't let the plateau drive you nuts! :lol:

I just smoked 4 briskets overnight. It took 14 hours and am a little tired today.

Gook luck! :D

Post Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:51 pm
jstewart well done
well done

Gonna put on some sausage flavored pork chops today and will have tri-tip and corn on the cob for Monday. Mostly planning on just taking it easy this weekend......
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:27 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CharredGriller wrote:
My coworker just tried Burger King's "pulled pork" and he's been moping about it all day. I asked him if it was like shredded cardboard slow-cooked in BBQ sauce, and he said that it was actually worse.

As a result I think I'll cook up some of the real stuff and see what he thinks.

Aargh! Checked a few stores yesterday and there weren't any decent pork shoulder roats at a good price. Most of them were either too fatty, or they were 2-3 times the price I usually pay. :evil:

So - it's burgers this weekend. Pulled pork will have to wait till next weekend.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 pm
BBQ Deputy

Good luck with the fatties, Rhino! I hope you're able to post photos of the chili-cheese version.

CG, I didn't think it was possible for a pork shoulder to be "too fatty"... :lol:

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:45 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Good luck with the fatties, Rhino! I hope you're able to post photos of the chili-cheese version.

CG, I didn't think it was possible for a pork shoulder to be "too fatty"... :lol:

Neither did I till yesterday. :D

Post Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:27 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Well my cook today is rather a hodgepodge. :lol:

I smoked 4 hamburgers that had about a 1 to 3 ratio of sausage and hamburger. Mixed in was some Gates BBQ sauce, leftover brisket rub, minced onions & mushrooms, and a spoonful of raspberry preserves.

Also smoked another batch of brisket burnt ends, added a little raspberry preserves to them too, to change the flavor a tad. WOW! I think every batch of burnt ends are the best ever. :wink:

Smoked two Cajun Boudain sausages and already ate one of those. We were introduced to Boudain a few years back while travelling through Louisiana and love it.

We purchased 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters and I separated the leg from the thigh, I think we have 26 pieces. Made a double batch of Steven's Huli Huli Chicken marinade. Since I no longer have a rotisserie, I just put the chicken in the smoker about 30 minutes ago and will finish it on the grill in a little while.

Got some hot wings marinating in the fridge.

Potato salad is chilling in the fridge and if we can get some family over later this evening there will be corn on the grill. :bbq:

Happy Labor Day y'all! :D

Post Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:14 pm
BBQ Deputy

Sounds like quite a day! *If* you can get family to come over? Who in his right mind would turn down all that food?!? :lol:

Post Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:27 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

We had all but one show up. Work and college were the "if's" in play. :wink:

Dinner was great, but then we had to listen to the moaning & groaning from the folks that ate too much. :lol:

I hid the burgers from the dinner crowd & saved them for my house. :twisted: And just finished the last one as I logged onto the forum.

I couldn't help but thinking what all the folks headed for fast food burgers were missing!!!

Next

Return to General Discussion