Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Salsa recipe anyone?

Salsa recipe anyone?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm
jayeffel well done
well done

Anyone have a recipe for salsa that you want to share?

I have in my garden tomatoes, bell peppers and maybe a few more onions-white and red. Also, two plants each jalepeno, Hungarian wax, Habenero, and scotch bonnet peppers. Actually, the Scotch Bonnet and Habeneros look very similar- hope they were not mislabeled at the nursery. And about four plants of horseradish- maybe more not sure -can't see for all the leaves!

The jalepenos I grew last year didn't seem to have any bite; this year the hungarian wax, though supposedly about 1/10 the heat of jalepenos were very hot- at least to me. I don't eat much "hot" stuff , not sure why I planted the hot peppers- guess they grow easily. :bbq:
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:15 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The basic pico de gallo recipe for uncooked fresh salsa always works for me. It's basically as follows but you can adjust all ingredients to taste:

3 large tomatoes (or 6 roma tomatoes - my preference) - seeded and chopped or diced (I prefer diced)
1 large onion - diced
4-6 jalapenos or other peppers - diced, seeds optional (more seeds = more heat)
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 TB. red wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients together, simple as that. I'll often add a bit of cumin or other spices to round things out. You can substitute any peppers for the jalapenos, too. But I always make sure I seed the tomatoes, or it gets much too watery.

So that's a start. I'm sure others here have their own recipes to share as well. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

CharredGriller got it right on and I will add one note.

A trick I learned for here is to slice the tomatoe and seed it then sprinkle some salt on it and let sit for 15 minutes to draw out extra moisture. It works great and it stops your salsa or pico from getting too watery.

Post Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 am
Griffin well done
well done

Salsa or pico de gallo? There is a difference, mainly in that pico is roughly chopped up veggies where salsa is more of a sauce. I usually run it through a food processor. Either way, ya gotta grill those veggies to give it a smokey flavor. Or, you really don't have to, but IMHO it makes it better. Really you can use anything you have on hand. Some tomotoes, some onions, some type of pepper for heat, some cilantro and some limes for a bit of citrus and salt and pepper to taste. I've never added red wine vinegar like CharredGriller suggests, but have seen it in plenty of recipes. Here's a grilled corn salsa I did last year to serve on chicken.

•2 ears of corn
•about 6 cherry tomatoes
•1 jalapeno
•1/2 red onion
•1 to 2 limes
•1 tbsp chopped cilantro
•salt and pepper to taste

Return to General Discussion