Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Portobello-Swiss brats

Portobello-Swiss brats

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:35 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last Saturday I had lunch in Burlington (WI) with some friends and took advantage of the opportunity to visit River Valley Ranch and do a little shopping.
Image Image

Portobello-Swiss brats were on the lunch menu so I gave one a try.
Image Image

Sold! I bought a package to take home.
Image Image Image

They grilled up really nice (good mushroom flavor) and while I'd prefer that they be made with unprocessed Swiss cheese, the processed version melts better within the sausage. Unfortunately Burlington's almost an hour away so it might be awhile before I buy any more!

Post Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:16 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

YES! 8) I've never even heard of those, but you just made a sale if I ever see them in my neighborhood. :D

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 am
Griffin well done
well done

Interesting. I've never heard of those before either. I'd love to try and make a batch myself, but my next two weekends are booked solid. Could you tell if the mushrooms were just chopped up and tossed in raw or do you think they were cooked prior?

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
Interesting. I've never heard of those before either. I'd love to try and make a batch myself, but my next two weekends are booked solid. Could you tell if the mushrooms were just chopped up and tossed in raw or do you think they were cooked prior?

My guess is that the shrooms were cooked first, if only just to cut down on the risk of contamination.

I'd try these at least once too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:08 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
Like CG said, they were probably cooked. Otherwise they probably would give off a lot of water.

Go for it! If anybody here could make a homemade version it's you.

Return to General Discussion