Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Back in action!

Back in action!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 am

After a move that forced me to leave my smoker behind with some friends, I've finally purchased a new Chargriller Smokin' Pro and SFB and I'm back in action!

The maiden voyage was some spare ribs, but due to not having a local wood source yet, I was stuck using lump charcoal (which actually did a great job) and big mesquite chunks. Believe I've found a wood source though.

It's nearly a duplicate of my old one, but it came with a cooling rack ( :P ) and the shelves were all womper-jawed (easy fix though).

Quick question: I brought my warming plate (that goes over the SFB) with me, but I seem to have left the hardware. What kind of bolts and screws should I use to fasten it to the SFB? I usually cook with oak logs so it gets pretty toasty.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CookinWithFire wrote:
After a move that forced me to leave my smoker behind with some friends, I've finally purchased a new Chargriller Smokin' Pro and SFB and I'm back in action!

It's nearly a duplicate of my old one, but it came with a cooling rack ( :P ) and the shelves were all womper-jawed (easy fix though).

Quick question: I brought my warming plate (that goes over the SFB) with me, but I seem to have left the hardware. What kind of bolts and screws should I use to fasten it to the SFB? I usually cook with oak logs so it gets pretty toasty.

Nice rig! It's always worth the time it takes to put it together, too. :cheers:

Try any non-galvanized bolts with a 1/4-20 thread. I've replaced bolts on my Outlaw with stainless 1/4-20 bolts from my shop and they seemed to work even better than the stock ones (because they're stainless steel, of course). They ought to hold up to the heat. You can try an even bigger thread size but you may need to drill out the holes a bit.

One question, though: what's "womper-jawed"?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:10 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good to see you again, CWF! It looks like you've recovered nicely from the loss of your previous smoker.

Post Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 pm

CharredGriller wrote:
CookinWithFire wrote:

Try any non-galvanized bolts with a 1/4-20 thread. I've replaced bolts on my Outlaw with stainless 1/4-20 bolts from my shop and they seemed to work even better than the stock ones (because they're stainless steel, of course). They ought to hold up to the heat. You can try an even bigger thread size but you may need to drill out the holes a bit.

Just realized I called the warming rack a cooling rack. :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion on the bolts. And womper-jawed is the approximate equivalent of FUBAR.
A bbq is only PARTLY about the food. It's MOSTLY about getting together and hanging out in the backyard with friends.

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:36 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CookinWithFire wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
CookinWithFire wrote:

Just realized I called the warming rack a cooling rack. :roll:

Thanks for the suggestion on the bolts. And womper-jawed is the approximate equivalent of FUBAR.

I looked closer and I see what you mean - they're misaligned. You're right - fixing them is quick. I used a rubber mallet. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion