Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion New home, new pit...

New home, new pit...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:20 pm
MN_BBQer medium
medium

I want to build a concrete block pit in my backyard, eventually a permanent one, but for now, a semi-permanent one. I've done some research, watched videos, so on, and so on... But I was hoping you guys could give me some advice, plans, blueprints to build one...

Thanks guys!
Let's have a few and talk BBQ!
CG PRO SFB

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:35 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Semi-permanent I don't know about. To me, that's my CG Outlaw (because it will eventually rust away like anything metal). :D

As for permanent, there are a lot of plans out there but here are some of the features I like:

1) Firebrick for any surfaces that come into direct contact with coals or flame. (It also adds thermal mass as it's denser than cinder block, and it's not difficult to clean.)
2) An adjustable charcoal/wood grill like the Grillery
3) A hood or closeable doors for the grill, and a rotisserie attachment
4) A separate smoking chamber that could double as a wood-fired oven

I've been looking over several pit plans over the past 5 years and I've still gotr more research to do.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 pm
Leatherneck well done
well done

Do a searh for the Wilbur D Hog pit. That's one I've always envied!

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:15 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Was at a client's house last Sunday night. He is Brazilian. He has an 8' concrete pad off of his patio with a 6' in diameter open grill / fire pit made from the heavy duty patio blocks that you can buy at Menards or Home Depot. He has a two brick opening at one point for adding coals or wood. He has rebar as a grate holder two blocks and four blocks high. His stainless steel grill grates were custom made by a metal working buddy of his. He burns hardwood into coals and has a nice supply of oak, maple, cherry, and apple. He said the neighbors all bring their meat over when they start to smell the smoke whenever he fires it up. Nice pit! Wish I had the room to have one.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:17 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
Was at a client's house last Sunday night. He is Brazilian. He has an 8' concrete pad off of his patio with a 6' in diameter open grill / fire pit made from the heavy duty patio blocks that you can buy at Menards or Home Depot. He has a two brick opening at one point for adding coals or wood. He has rebar as a grate holder two blocks and four blocks high. His stainless steel grill grates were custom made by a metal working buddy of his. He burns hardwood into coals and has a nice supply of oak, maple, cherry, and apple. He said the neighbors all bring their meat over when they start to smell the smoke whenever he fires it up. Nice pit! Wish I had the room to have one.

Any chance you got a pic of this grill?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:08 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:

Any chance you got a pic of this grill?

Will probably be back by his house some day this week and I'll get some pics. I'm even going to learn how to post them.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion