Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First Time with Hatch Chilies

First Time with Hatch Chilies

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

And my first time making Chile Relleno. It's not all grillin' & smokin' but these peppers started out on the grill so I'm hoping y'all don't mind.

Added some char

DSCN0997.jpg
DSCN0997.jpg (90.23 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

Stuffed with cheese then battered with the Tempura recipe I gave y'all the other day and deep fried them.

DSCN1000.jpg
DSCN1000.jpg (67.44 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

I made a sauce using enchilada sauce, rotel sauce, and fresh onions. Served with a side of Mexican rice.

DSCN1005.jpg
DSCN1005.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 1748 times

Thanks for the inspiration Griffin! 8) I ate two Chile Rellenos and then one pepper deep fried "open face" by itself. They were wonderful.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:48 am
Griffin well done
well done

Those look awesome, Bob!! Great idea. I roasted 3 lbs yesterday, skinned, de-seeded them and froze them for future use the rest of the year. Not sure how long that will last. 3 lbs was about 20 peppers.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great work, Bob! I especially like the shot of the charred chiles.

I did some online checking yesterday and if I can't find Hatches or Anaheims the next best things are poblanos, which aren't too difficult to find.

Post Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:28 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Hatch Chilies are grown one state over in New Mexico and there's always a big fuss around here in August. So they're relatively easy to find locally this time of year. I spoke with a guy I work with yesterday and he said that he has seen street vendors roasting them in several locations.

Pablanos are the 'standard' pepper used for making Chile Relleno to my knowledge. I was watching YouTube videos on roasting Hatch chilies and ran across someone using them for Relleno. I've been wanting to make Relleno for some time now and everything just fell into place last night.

I imagine you can use whatever pepper you like and is available. One could make miniature Relleno using Jalapeno's is would suppose. Who knows, I just might one day. :wink: It's the same batter I fry Jalapeno rings and Jalapeno fries.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:04 am
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Looks amazing, Bob! I just featured one of your pics on the http://www.barbecuebible.com homepage. Steven is also planning on publishing a blog post soon on hatch chiles.

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:10 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks Christine. I'll be looking forward to Steven's cooking. :bbq:

Return to General Discussion