Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hatch Chile Salsa

Hatch Chile Salsa

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 am
Griffin well done
well done

Hatch Chiles have arrived here in Dallas...or they did last week. I've never cooked with them and while I've had food with them in them, have never totally understood the whole craze over them. I think part of it has to be that it is one great marketing ploy, but I'll reserve my judgement until I play around with them a bit. So I picked up a bunch of them yesterday. $0.99 a lb ain't too shabby of a deal, IMHO. Figured a good charred salsa would be a great way to play around with them for the first time. Got all my veggies together, grabbed a cold drink and headed to sit by the Egg. I thought I had it stabilized around 500, but it shot up to 575ish. No biggie, just close it down a bit and throw on the veggies anyway.

Took about 10-15 mintues to get all the veggies good and charred up

I put the chiles in a bowl and covered them with plastic wrap so the skins would sweat and fall right off. The rest of the veggies got roughly chopped and thrown in a food processor. Once the chiles had cooled a bit, I removed the skins and veins and seeds (reserving some of the seeds in case it wasn't hot enough). I started off using 3 of the chiles. I had no idea where the heat level would be, so I didn't want to use all 5. You can always add more, but you can't take out any. I also ended up only using 1.5 of the limes. In addition, I used 3 tbsp of roughly chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste

Came out pretty tasty. Not as hot as I usally like my salsa, so I added some extra seeds. Better. The burn from the chiles was different than I was used to. Seemed to be a front of the mouth burn, versus back or throat. And it didn't linger for very long. Quick and short. Still not sure what all the fuss is about with these chiles. I don't think salsa was the best way to evaluate them with so many other flavors, but it sure was tasty. Mrs. G goes out of town Friday and I've already got some ideas of what I am going to cook using some more of them that night.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm interested to see what else you have in store, Griffin. The salsa looks excellent.

Would those chilies be good for ABTs? The produce guy at my local Italian market says they might be getting these in for their huge pepper sale at the end of the month.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:26 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I really like Hatch chili salsa, like you said not as hot as I like but a great salsa for topping a burger.

Man one of the best burgers I had was in south-west corner of Colorado a small mom and pop joint and they had a Hatch chili burger (house made salsa on it)

Was amazing

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:27 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a good-looking bowl of salsa, Griff! I'll bet it had a nice smokiness from the grilled veggies. Hatch chiles are often a key component of New Mexico's green chile cheeseburger, which has an almost fanatical following.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:58 pm
Griffin well done
well done

CharredGriller - from the bit of research I've done, Anaheim peppers originally came from Hatch chili seeds (just grown in Anaheim) and I've done ABTs with them in the past. Very mild that way, don't expect much heat. Due to the thicker skin, I would definitely go for a low temp (250ish) when doing them.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:26 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've never known what all the fuss was about either. And also haven't cooked with them myself. I have eaten out and had hatch chilies with the meal. I like them, like I do most things spice.

Now those beautiful pictures of your salsa IS something to fuss about! :D I have grilled veggies for a salsa and I know that it's some good stuff. I like how you used good sense when it came to adjusting the heat. :D Nicely done my friend!

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:52 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

That is nice looking salsa. I've never had the Hatch Chile so I do not know about heat level, but if you're eating just to get off on the heat, ... I ate a burger a couple of weeks ago that had Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpion, habanero, Thai chile, jalapeno, and cayenne in some form on it. Burger was very good, and yes, it was hot, like 4th of July going off in your mouth but not lingering. One thing I thought about later that night was there was so much combined heat that the essence of the individual pepper was lost. I probably will, because it is a good burger, and pepper explosion is a rush, but may not just for same reason.
August 15 ...First pick medium hot Hungarian Wax peppers at pepper farms around Akron, Ohio today. Should be there canning a couple bushel with Dad and brother. Two years now since we last got together to can peppers.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion