Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Bad Bones BBQ in Minocqua, WI (Now with photos!)

Bad Bones BBQ in Minocqua, WI (Now with photos!)

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Andy medium
medium

While on vacation, we stumbled across this little BBQ place in Minocqua Wisconsin, not far from our cabin, called Bad Bones BBQ. It 's in a little house on Milwaukee Street, just off the main drag through town. As you approach it, you can smell the smoky goodness from their outdoor smoker. We ordered inside, then decided to eat at one of the outdoor picnic tables, although they do have indoor seating. I had the beef brisket sandwich, served on white bread with a side of baked beans and potato salad. My wife had the Carolina pulled pork sandwich, which is served with coleslaw on the meat. The brisket was very good, with a great smoke ring. The beans were EXCELLENT, having been smoked in the smoker alongside the meats. The potato salad was kind of a miss for me, as it reminded us of a blended loaded potato. It had a flavor of cheese, which seemed kind of different. My wife's Carolina pulled pork sandwich was excellent. They have an offbeat selection of sodas, like Sarsaparilla, birch beer, etc. All in all, this was a great place to eat, and I will return next time i'm in Minocqua. Acording to the owner, they may be opening another location in West Allis, WI sometime in the future.

Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 pm
Heebzman medium
medium

I would LOVE to have a BBQ palce open up in Stallis...however the track record has not been good. My favorite, Q only lasted a few years as did Great Northern BBQ. I swear most here in SE WI think Saz's is great ribs which it is NOT !!. They think boil and the broil with a gallon of sauce counts as BBQ.

God I miss the Q....lets hope they open a resturant close to me

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:02 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like a great place to visit!

Brad

Andy medium
medium

Sad news about Bad Bones... It's gone. We just returned from our cabin near Minocqua, and made our usual trek to BB. Building is completely empty with no explanation as to why. Oh well, it was good while it lasted. :(
Andy
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Cactus1 well done
well done

Sad when you find a good place, not go for a while, and when you do go back it's gone. Not just BBQ joints, but just about anything - here today, maybe gone tomorrow. That's just the nature of the beast in today's world. Read about two restaraunts in Chicago, in today's Chicago Sun-Times, that were doing fairly well but closed suddenly - one about three weeks ago and reopened in four days with same ownership & staff, new name, slightly changed menu. One closed, I think, last Friday. Will reopen sometime next week. Same circumstances.
Local, about 2 miles from my house, historically significant Rt 66 landmark steakhouse, closed New Year's Eve 2011. Great place, been there since early 1950's and 2nd owner has owned since early 1970's - she was over 80 and starting to slow down and take time to enjoy life. Stood vacant and for sale since. About a month or six weeks ago start to see activity, interior stripped but supposed to be redone in an update of original, masonry has been repaired and freshly tuckpointed. Cedar siding, over cinderblock, has all been stripped and underlying cinderblock repaired and also tuckpointed. Think I saw the truck delivering new cedar today as I drove by but not really paying attention. No signs up about what is coming but rumor is high end seafood. No one, not even mayor, is saying anything, but someone is spending huge $'s. Guess we'll see as reopening approaches.
Back to Wisconsin. Haven't been to Minocqua area since 1995 or 1996. Don't remember Bad Bones, if it was even there then. Seem to remember 2 or 3 dumpy looking places with great fresh fish.
Goingt to Neenah, on business, sometime either week of 8/19 - 8/23 or 9/3 - 9/6. Plan to be there 2 nights max.
Been 1999 since I've been to the northwest side of Lake Winnebago. Anyone know of good places, bbq or other, in Neenah, Appleton, Oshkosh area?
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

BBQ Deputy

That's too bad, Andy, but northern WI has to be a tough sell for traditional southern-style barbecue. It sounds like the owner knew what he was doing, too. This is a monster long shot, but since the owner talked about West Allis and there does happen to be a new barbecue place there, maybe he went ahead with it.

Cactus, George's Steakhouse in Appleton has a long-standing reputation and I believe the Red Ox is well-known also.

Andy medium
medium

Thanks Guys. Bad Bones was not there for a LONG time, because I remember when there was a bakery in their space, but it was indeed good, and pretty authentic. This trip, We ended up eating at the Thirsty Whale, which is a cool bar & restaurant right on the lake that we've visited several times before. Great outdoor seating on a dock directly over the water, but overpriced & food is only so-so. Next time I get down toward West Allis, I'll have to do some checking. As far as BBQ in the Northwoods, I don't know of many other places, that's for sure.
As a kid, then later while in college, I lived in Appleton, and I can vouch for George's. Old school, and very good :D. Sadly, most of my favorites in Oshkosh are gone.
Andy
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Andy medium
medium

Ok, according to a Google search, Bad Bones has moved to another location in nearby Arbor Vitae, on Hwy 51. I passed the supposed location several times while on vacation, & I never saw it. Weird.
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

BBQ Deputy

Is it supposed to be a brick & mortar business or is it possible he's working with a portable smoker? I'll bet you could contact somebody in the town office and find out for sure.

Return to Best BBQ Joint