Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint Q-joints in/around Kansas City?

Q-joints in/around Kansas City?

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:33 pm

I really thought that this topic would have been hashed and rehashed over and over again on this site, but doing a search I only found 4 threads and they were from 2003 and 2004.

Therefore, I'm asking again - what is the best Q-joint in the Kansas City area? I'll be heading there again to judge the American Royal World Series of Barbeque again this October and would like to try the best around. I was there last year and only got to Arthur Bryant's, which I honestly didn't think that it was as great as I'd previously heard. Their sauce was pretty tasty, but it completely drowned out the flavor of the pork and burnt ends that I got it on. Sure had a plate full, but it all tasted the same - sauce!

I've heard about Bates, and Gates, and Oklahoma Joe's, and Fiorella's Jack Stack, and Hayward's, but what are the thoughts from the masses?

Anyone have a particular favorite and why?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Pitmaster-"4 Lil' Pigs" BBQ Team"
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You might find this thread helpful. It's not all barbecue but it does have some good info.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=749678

I also asked a couple of KC-familiar acquaintances what they'd recommend:

"Number one o nmy list would be LC's. Everything's good, but Burnt Ends are the reason to go. Also, top notch Beans and fresh cut Fries. One order of Ends along with an order each of the Fries and Beans is enough to feed two people.

After that, it's a free-for-all. You can go the tourist route with Arthur Bryant's. Once upon a time Bryant's was synonymous with KC 'Que. Now the quality varies day by day. Go on the right day and you'll be in heaven. The wrong day will make you wonder how this joint ever got famous in the first place. Roll the dice and see if you get lucky.

One of our favorites on the Kansas side is Brobeck's Barbecue in Overland Park. Everything Doug cook's is wonderful. I'm especially fond of his Corn Nuggets appetizer.

You hear a lot of people swear that Oklahoma Joe's is the best 'Que in town. I was unimpressed on my first visit more than ten years ago. I thought I'd give them another try this past Christmas. My opinion hasn't changed.

You can try white tablecloth 'Que at Fiorella's Jack Stack. more upscale and definitely more suburban than most other Greasehouses. jack's specialties are Lamb Ribs and Cheesy Corn Bake. Pretty good stuff, but you're paying for that upscale vibe.

At the other end of the spectrum is Rosedale BBQ. This is a Blue Collar, Redneck haven. They're not known for any particular specialty, it's just very good nuts and bolts Barbecue

Gates is the local chain with about a half dozen locations around town. A lot of people see Gates and Bryant's as friendly rivals, representing KC's best. Truth is, ther are lots better places these days. Still, Gates' Brisket is damn good, and they too have some excellent Beans and Fries. Stray from the Brisket and you're on your own.

Another iconic joint is Snead's down in the far south boonies. They've been around forever and do a good all around job. They've had a spotty record for being open, so always call ahead and make sure someone answers the phone.

That's my "what comes to mind" list. There's plenty more, and if anything occurs to me, I'll let you know. I usually post full addresses and phone numbers, but i didn't see this until 2am and I'm just not in the mood to do the research. All theseplaces are listed on the internet and should be easy enoug to find.

Hope your pals have a great trip!"

"It really depends on what they are looking for! If they are just passing through and want to grab a quick bite they may not want to wait in line at Oklahoma Joe's for up to 30 - 45 minutes during the lunch and dinner rush. On the other hand if time is not a consideration then there are a number of good spots slightly outside the metro area that you might want to explore. This is my list of favorite places to go in order

1. Oklahoma Joes - the original location at 47th(County Line) & Mission Rd. Kansas City KS - Great barbecue but be prepared to wait if dining in during lunch and dinner hours - I order Carryout in order to avoid the lines.

2. Arthur Bryant's - the bbq joint that started it all - It can be a little inconsistent but I discovered that if you go outside the lunch and dinner rush you get a higher quality sandwich as they trim the fat a little better - Also the Fries are better

3. Jack Stack - Has a number of locations - very good bbq - We go to this company when we have a family member in town that wants table service. Has a varied menu - my dad loves to go here because he can get a rack of lamb or some smoked salmon.

4. LC's BBQ - A lot of people really talk up his que, but I think it relies to much on the sauce.

If you can find out a few details as to when and where in the city they will be, I can get a little more specific."

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:40 pm

THANKS for the info!!!

Sure do appreciate it! Hopefully we will hit a few q-joints while we are there!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:36 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Q-Lover, Some time ago I posted comments on several K.C. BBQ joints. I was only able to find one of them.

Review of K.C. Barbecue

Maybe you will have better luck than me.

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks for responding. I did look at this thread, but it was from 2004/06 so I thought I'd ask again.

I've heard some really good things about "Smoking Guns" BBQ. Used to compete and won the Jack a few years back. Also, the wife saw it on one of the Food Network shows (Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives I think), so she is wanting to hit them. Not sure how much Q we will be wanting, as we are judging on Saturday and Sunday. We'll see.

Thanks again!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:35 pm
BBQ Deputy

If Stroud's isn't mentioned in the Roadfood link I posted, definitely add it to your list if you like fried chicken.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:59 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Been 1999 or 2000 since I've been to Kansas City. I've eaten a lot of barbecue there over the years. Still liked Bryant's the best. Shame on you if you complain about to much sauce - you had to have put it on. That's the way it used to be. There is a lot of great barbecue to be had. I'd wait until I got there and then start asking a few local people where to go. They'll tell you. Don't know if you've ever been but great steak at the, think it's called, Hereford House.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

Cactus1 wrote:
Shame on you if you complain about to much sauce - you had to have put it on. That's the way it used to be.

I DIDN'T put the sauce on myself - that was the way it came! Like I said, the sauce was good, but my meal would have been just as good with only bread and all that sauce instead of paying for the pork and burnt ends!!! Maybe I could have ordered it "sauceless", but I didn't know.

Looks like I will be doing Table Captain duties at the Invitational and sides, so I will be more hungry than last year on Saturday. Still judging on Sunday for the Open (540+ teams!!!!).

THANKS for all the comments and suggestions!!!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 pm
BBQ Deputy

After you're done judging are you allowed to take photos? I'll bet people would be interested in seeing some shots of the competition.

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:50 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Another_Q_Lover - It has been 5 or 6 years since I've been to Kansas City. Lot's of good places for barbecue in or around for barbecue. I mentioned the Hereford House for a great steak. Don't remember the name of it or exactly what road it is / was on, but a little almost divey bar just off think the 2nd exit north of the airport exit had a great burger, decent chicken wings, and very good potato skins plus some other types of pub grub.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

ScreamingChicken wrote:
After you're done judging are you allowed to take photos? I'll bet people would be interested in seeing some shots of the competition.

I'll see what I can do!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Well, I did the American Royal World Series of Barbeque in Kansan City and just wanted to follow-up on a couple eateries that we hit while there.

The only Q-joint that we stopped at was "Smokin' Guns" on 1218 Swift Ave. We actually ate there for lunch on Thursday on our way from the airport before we checked into the hotel! I got the "Tripple D" plate (what Guy Fieri got when he stopped here for "Dinners, Drive-Ins & Dives"), that consisted of Burnt Ends, sliced brisket, and smoked turkey with 2 sides (I got bbq beans and mac&cheese bites), while my wife got the pulled pork sandwich with 2 sides (potato casserole and side salad). We ate off each others plates so that we could each taste everything. Couldn't believe how many BEs were on my plate! Enough that we stuffed ourselves and had plenty left over for dinner that night. EVERYTHING was WONDERFUL!!! Defintely recommend this Q-joint for anyone looking for GOOD BBQ in Kansas City!

Lunch on Friday we hit the Hereford House steakhouse (as recommended!). Decided to go here for lunch as it was almost 1/2 the price of the dinner menu and we didn't have to dress fancy or wait to be seated. Good flavor on the steaks, but pretty tough. Not the quality that I was expecting when recommended as the best steakhouse in KC.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any photos that were really worth posting. Got a couple of the big-boy side of the team area and a couple of the award ceremony, but nothing that truly shows much.

Sure did have a GREAT time and can't hardly wait to go back again next year! If you like bbq competitions, this is the KING!!! Can't beat almost 550 teams all cooking at one time! LOTS of sweet smelling smoke rising!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Post Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:06 am

Oklahome Joes for the Z-Man brisket sandwich

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:02 am
BBQ Deputy

I'm headed to KC in April to see the White Sox play and am hoping to hit Deke's, LC's, and maybe Gates' while I'm there. And Stroud's for fried chicken! :D

Post Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:34 am

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I'm headed to KC in April to see the White Sox play and am hoping to hit Deke's, LC's, and maybe Gates' while I'm there. And Stroud's for fried chicken! :D

Seriously, you might want to check out "Smokin' Guns" as well!!! Dad-gum good stuff!!!
Tom
CMJ-KCBS
CBJ-MBN,NCBS,NCPC,NCBBQA
Author-"A 'Q' Review"

Next

Return to Best BBQ Joint