Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Fighting fire with fire

Fighting fire with fire

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:31 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Posts: 266

Hot enough for you? Check out the new blog on grilling with chili peppers.

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/08/02/turn-up-the-heat-with-chile-peppers-15-hot-facts-grilling-tips/#.UfzpbRY5ulI

How do YOU heat it up on the grill?

SR

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:11 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5795
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Steven wrote:
Hot enough for you? Check out the new blog on grilling with chili peppers.

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/08/02/turn-up-the-heat-with-chile-peppers-15-hot-facts-grilling-tips/#.UfzpbRY5ulI

How do YOU heat it up on the grill?

SR


I heat it up with a growing collection of hot sauces. Check it out in this thread:
http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24335
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:48 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7324
Location: Stoughton, WI
I didn't realize that chiles can contain up to 6 times the amount of vitamin C found in oranges, but I'm still not too likely to have a glass of chile juice with breakfast. :wink:

Many years ago I grew some cayenne chiles one summer, and hung them up in the basement to dry. For the first couple of months my eyes would water when I passed them, just because of what was evaporating.

I'm surprised that New Mexico's green chile cheeseburger isn't replicated here more often.

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:23 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
I heat it up on the grill and in the smoker.

These jalapeno peppers are dripping into a pot of your famous Best Beans on the Planet:
Image


I dehydrate Habaneros in the smoker, then grind them in a blender and mix 50/50 with sea salt to make "Dragon Salt":
Image

Image


These ribs were glazed with a mixture of preserves and Ghost Pepper sauce:
Image

BTW, it was 106° here in town. Hot enough for ya? :lol:
Image

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:31 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7324
Location: Stoughton, WI
Neat idea to drip the ABTs into the beans, Bob. Do they add a fair amount of heat?

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5795
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Bob-BQN wrote:
I heat it up on the grill and in the smoker...

I dehydrate Habaneros in the smoker, then grind them in a blender and mix 50/50 with sea salt to make "Dragon Salt".


I was wondering about that stuff. Now I absolutely have to make some.

And the timing couldn't be better. The Italian grocery store I often frequest is bringing in literally tons of peppers of a couple dozen different varieties in about 2-3 weeks. They always have habaneros, but I think I'll pick up a few others too. Of course, they may even have ghost or Trinidad scorpions this year too so if I find those I'll pick up a few pounds. (Yes, that's pounds. Folks outside the chili belt don't usually buy that many at once.)
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:00 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Posts: 741
Location: Indian Head Park, IL.
Bob and CharredGriller - You have my deepest admiration. You are chili pepper geniuses!
Don't think my wife would ride home in the car, ever get back into the car, or let me bring them into the house if I scored a couple pounds of Trinidad Scorpians + an assortment of other good chilis.
Go back a few weeks and check my post about that burger I ate with Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpian, Habanero, Thai Chili, Jalapeno, and Cayenne in some form on it. Told the owner of Back Alley Burger last night, that I wasn't coming last night, but next Tuesday or Tuesday after to eat another one, if his daily/weekly special burger doesn't intrigue me.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:21 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5795
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Cactus1 wrote:
Bob and CharredGriller - You have my deepest admiration. You are chili pepper geniuses!
Don't think my wife would ride home in the car, ever get back into the car, or let me bring them into the house if I scored a couple pounds of Trinidad Scorpians + an assortment of other good chilis.
Go back a few weeks and check my post about that burger I ate with Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Scorpian, Habanero, Thai Chili, Jalapeno, and Cayenne in some form on it. Told the owner of Back Alley Burger last night, that I wasn't coming last night, but next Tuesday or Tuesday after to eat another one, if his daily/weekly special burger doesn't intrigue me.


Thanks, Cactus1. I remember that post, and I remember thinking how that burger would likely burn what's left of my hair right off. Funny thing is that it's the Thai chili that often gets me, and not usually the hotter ones, which is odd.

Or maybe it's just that you can build up a tolerance to hot foods. 10 years ago if I'd had 1/16th of a teaspoon of Blair's Sudden Death or Dave's Insanity sauce I'd have been in pain for hours. I tried that amount of Dave's Insanity last weekend and while it was still blindingly hot, it only hurt for a few minutes.

As for those artificially-enhanced hot sauces like the ones above, I don't use them anymore because they really don't have much taste. The all-natural (?) hot sauces pack plenty of heat but also have a lot of great taste too - and that even applies to Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Scorpion peppers as you might have noticed.

Oh - and this week for a change I'm going to be cooking with a bit of Tiger sauce. It has some heat but is also sweet and citrusy as well. I found an unopened bottle when I was clearing out some of the old sauces last weekend.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:18 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Chicken - Most of the drippings are from the bacon. Since the beans already have jalapenos and pablano peppers in it anyway, I wouldn't think that much of the heat would come from the drippings. I'll admit, we've never had a bad batch of beans cooking them this way! :D We made them in Missouri last year for a family reunion and got a LOT of compliments. My mom kept commenting on how spicy they were and have to mix them with some sweet "pork-n-beans" baked beans that my aunt made. Look at the pictures above... The rib meat (pork brisket) on the paper plate is what we save for the beans. One of the comments made at the family reunion when the two pots of baked beans were compared was, "Oh, your beans were the ones with all the good stuff in them!" I sorta felt sorry for my aunt because she was sitting right next to me.

Charred - My wife likes spicy foods but I suppose Dragon Salt might be a little too spicy as I see her using it. However, several of my in-laws, my boys, and myself go through plenty of it. If you like it on the HOT side you'll enjoy Dragon Salt. :twisted: But be warned... If you smell it while you are shaking it on you food, THEN, you will sneeze! :lol: My tongue can tolerate it but my nasal passage can NOT. Some day I may give the hotter peppers a try.

Cactus - Never claimed to be that smart! :lol: I just cook food that my family and I like and share it with y'all hoping you do too. Thanks for the kind words. :D
Image

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:21 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5795
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Bob-BQN wrote:
Charred - My wife likes spicy foods but I suppose Dragon Salt might be a little too spicy as I see her using it. However, several of my in-laws, my boys, and myself go through plenty of it. If you like it on the HOT side you'll enjoy Dragon Salt. :twisted: But be warned... If you smell it while you are shaking it on you food, THEN, you will sneeze! :lol: My tongue can tolerate it but my nasal passage can NOT. Some day I may give the hotter peppers a try.


You're right about the sneezing. Even powdered hot paprika can make me sneeze, let alone jalapeno or cayenne powder. And habanero powder? Look out. :D

Habanero is still one of the hotter peppers, but it's interesting how some of us don't necessarily think so anymore. Maybe we've been eating them too long and we've built up a tolerance. :twisted:

Case in point: a friend of mine owns a bar and grill and he does decent hot wings. The only problem is he bases each heat category on his own taste for heat and that's not in line with most customers. His "medium" wings I find quite hot, and his "hot" wings are incendiary. His excuse is "that's how we eat them in California", but my other Californian friends all unanimously disagree.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:41 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Would love to try some of those wings!
Image

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:41 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5795
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Bob-BQN wrote:
Would love to try some of those wings!


DISCLAIMER: Now before anyone gets their underwear in a knot, a lot of the following is meant as a bit of a joke, OK?
Don't flame me or bust a gasket just because your sense of humor is different than mine.


Bob - those wings are really easy to make. Just follow my buddy's method (that I learned from observing him): First, put your brain on the shelf but keep your ego running at full tilt. Then make a medium-spiced batch of wings, and double the spice. Finally, when someone complains, use the "California" remark as above. It works absolutely every time. :twisted:

I may be totally wrong here, but I think it's a cultural thing.

Folks outside of California don't really know what people in California eat except what they see on TV. So if you say "That's how we do it in California", in this age of tolerance for anything and everything good or bad a lot of folks may back down to risk offending you. Or - they might have a secret envy of California and defer to you because they think California is a "cooler" place than wherever they live. :twisted:

It works the same way any time you say "That's how we do it in Texas" about any barbecue-related topic, but for different reasons. Texas has a reputation for great BBQ and grilling (and it's well-deserved - read Steven's books), so many folks just naturally assume that all Texans are masters at the grill. However - I know a Texan guy who says that to justify his truly horrible fire-bombed style of cooking, too.

Incidentally - it doesn't work if you say "That's how we do it in Canada". I tried it a couple times and the remarks I heard back weren't pretty. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:17 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 12904
Location: Texas
Well, I NEVER!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since it is tough to tell the tone that most folks intend when you're reading something on the Internet, I usually read it with a grain of salt and take it lightly. Most sarcasm is meant to be humorous, at least when I'm spinning it. So that's how I read it. :wink:

Besides, we all wear ten gallon hats & side arms. I even got a spittoon around here somewhere (the spittoon part is true :lol: )

I ate an order of Wingstop's 'Atomic' wings and they were hot enough to be a little uncomfortable. Still cleaned off every bone. Now if they're hot as you say, I may just opt for a tasting instead of a meal. After all, I've only visited California, never lived there. :P
Image

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:41 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Posts: 266

Dragon salt?! You've just raised the heat to a whole new level, Bob. Great looking poppers, too! SR

Post Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5795
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Bob-BQN wrote:
Well, I NEVER!!! :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since it is tough to tell the tone that most folks intend when you're reading something on the Internet, I usually read it with a grain of salt and take it lightly. Most sarcasm is meant to be humorous, at least when I'm spinning it. So that's how I read it. :wink:

Besides, we all wear ten gallon hats & side arms. I even got a spittoon around here somewhere (the spittoon part is true :lol: )


Sorry - got burned a few times with a member or two misinterpreting things, so I'm using that disclaimer now. And maybe I should have used "age of entitlement" in there somewhere, but that might have been too obscure. :twisted:

But I carry a "sidearm" (440fps pellet gun - for crows and other pests) and wear my old brush-cutting hard hat and face shield when I do yardwork in the part of my yard that's still bush. Does that count? :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Next

Return to General Discussion