Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brined Chicken

Brined Chicken

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:43 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Made up some Orange Ginger Brine for some chicken and cooked at 250-275*F for 4 hours with Hickory wood.

Sorry forgot to take pictures when done or plate, had new neighbors over for a welcome dinner.

Made my special twice smoked Potatoes and grape salad for desert.

Putting chicken on

2 hours in, nice color and the potatoes are almost done, ready for stuffing and placed back in smoker

Sorry no finished pictures of the taters or the chicken, the neighbors came over and we started talking having beers....

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:03 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The Welcome Wagon has arrived! Did the real estate listing for the house mention that you grill and barbecue? :wink:

After the potatoes are first smoked and then stuffed, how long does the second smoke take?

Of course, being Madison I assume you checked to make sure they weren't vegans before you decided on chicken... :lol:

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Sorry no finished pictures of the taters or the chicken, the neighbors came over and we started talking having beers....

No worries, Trollby. The last pic gives us a very good idea on how they probably turned out. And they look like they all turned out fabulous! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:41 pm
Trollby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
The Welcome Wagon has arrived! Did the real estate listing for the house mention that you grill and barbecue? :wink:

After the potatoes are first smoked and then stuffed, how long does the second smoke take?

Of course, being Madison I assume you checked to make sure they weren't vegans before you decided on chicken... :lol:

I like to give them atleast 40-60min since the BBQ temp is lower than oven temps, they come out with a nice golden edge and tasty

CharredGriller wrote:
Trollby wrote:

No worries, Trollby. The last pic gives us a very good idea on how they probably turned out. And they look like they all turned out fabulous! :cheers:

They turned out great, I like to cook them breast side down since the dark meat juice then runs down and keeps breast more moist (Or I could just be crazy ;) )

Post Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:45 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I've been craving some brined chicken lately. Got any of that delicious looking bird left? A fine job right there! 8)

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:16 am
Griffin well done
well done

Beautiful color on those birds. What's in the brine? Sounds intriguing.

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:25 am
Trollby well done
well done

Griffin wrote:

Modified version of the Apple Brine from Virtual Weber

2 quarts apple cider
1 pound brown sugar (light)
1 cup Kosher Salt
3 - 3.5 quarts ICE
4 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
10 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced

Here is the original:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Griffin wrote:

Modified version of the Apple Brine from Virtual Weber

2 quarts apple cider
1 pound brown sugar (light)
1 cup Kosher Salt
3 - 3.5 quarts ICE
4 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
10 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced

Here is the original:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Wow - I figured that's one big batch of brine and a lot of ginger! (And then I noticed it was for a whole turkey so it made sense.) In any case that brine looks like it would be fantastic.

Mind you, I only brine fish and pork chops. For some reason I've never needed to brine a chicken even if it's a scraggly old utility bird. It must be the rotisserie that does it for me. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:37 am
Trollby well done
well done

That is one reason I brined two chickens, really I could of done three if I had a third in the freezer I would of done three chickens, great left-overs

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:38 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Is that, forget the name offhand, BBQ place still in Madison? Or the pasty place near the Capital?
I don't brine, don't have the room to do properly. Maybe look at Labor Day weekend sales - H H Gregg likes to see us walk through the door for a holiday weekend sale. Went in to spend a grand and walked out spending three +, 4th of July in 2012. Wife loves her new stove and convection oven - it senses my animosity and hates me. One good reason to have grills and smokers going as often as possible. New frige in the kitchen means old frige in the garage for me. Then I'll have room to get into brining.
Did a reheat of leftover double baked potatoes, that wife had originally done in the oven one night last week. Wrapped in foil but just tented the tops and stuck down in the coals for about 45 minutes. They were great!
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:50 am
Trollby well done
well done

Cactus1 wrote:
Is that, forget the name offhand, BBQ place still in Madison? Or the pasty place near the Capital?
I don't brine, don't have the room to do properly. Maybe look at Labor Day weekend sales - H H Gregg likes to see us walk through the door for a holiday weekend sale. Went in to spend a grand and walked out spending three +, 4th of July in 2012. Wife loves her new stove and convection oven - it senses my animosity and hates me. One good reason to have grills and smokers going as often as possible. New frige in the kitchen means old frige in the garage for me. Then I'll have room to get into brining.
Did a reheat of leftover double baked potatoes, that wife had originally done in the oven one night last week. Wrapped in foil but just tented the tops and stuck down in the coals for about 45 minutes. They were great!

Smokin John's? (Off 113 near Warner Park) if so yes

I do it the easy way:

Have Reynolds Roasting bags on hand
Make up brine
Place meat items in bag and pour in Brine
Remove air from bag, seal and place that bag "inside" trash bag for double safe
Place in cooler and cover with ICE in bags (or use two liter soda bottles frozen with water in them)
Every 8 hours flip the bag with meat to mix
if you have good cooler should be fine at 36*F or less for two days before need new ICE

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 am
Trollby well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
I only brine fish and pork chops. For some reason I've never needed to brine a chicken even if it's a scraggly old utility bird. It must be the rotisserie that does it for me. :D

I do it more to add more flavor than anything.

I rotisserie alot too but still brine to deep penetrate the meat with flavor, the rotisserie keeps it moist the brine adds the flavors

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:12 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:
Smokin John's? (Off 113 near Warner Park) if so yes
Yep, Smokey Jon's still going strong. Incidentally, he and I have the same last name but are unrelated except for barbecue. :lol: There's also Fat Jack's on Monona Drive, which has been a favorite of mine for years.

Last I knew Myles Teddywedgers was still open and selling pasties.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:00 pm
Trollby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Last I knew Myles Teddywedgers was still open and selling pasties.

Now owned by an Ex-coworker of mine and her husband

Return to General Discussion