Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Vacation

Vacation

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:02 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Not going on, but back from. Last week the Chicken Family headed to northern Wisconsin for our annual getaway, and that always means a fair amount of grilling. And even though it's mostly simple stuff it always tastes extra-good up there. :wink:

Saturday night was a skillet of forgettable ground beef and mushrooms because things hadn't thawed yet, but by Sunday the sirloin was soft enough to use. I'd planned on just grilling it whole but my older daughter had put together some menus for the week and first up were steak-and-shrimp skewers, so I cut up the sirloin.
Image Image

The shrimp marinade involved olive oil, garlic, and I think a little bit of vinegar.

We threaded the beef, shrimp, and some mushrooms onto the skewers and she made a salad of peppers, tomatoes, black olives, and feta cheese.
Image Image

The trick to getting everything to cook reasonably evenly was to put the beef part of the skewers directly over the coals while having nothing under the shrimp so they would cook indirectly and not be rubber by the time the steak pieces were done. We lost a few mushrooms along the way. :wink:

Monday was burger night and since my younger daughter's boyfriend had never had a Jucy Lucy that's what I decided to make. I started by grilling some ears of corn for a pasta salad.
Image Image

Then it was time to make the burgers and put them on the grill. The orange tint is from Weber seasoned salt, and because the grill was outside it made it easy to get some action shots.
Image Image

When they were getting close to done (I actually temp-checked them this time) I put a slice of American cheese on the top of each.
Image Image

I used a 2-year aged cheddar and some of Steven's Black Forest rub for the burger filling and was very happy with how it turned out, and the burgers tasted very good. In fact, Alex ate one cold for lunch a couple of days later...

More to come...

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow, Brad - is that a smoke ring on that burger? :shock:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:00 pm
BBQ Deputy

I wish!! :lol: No, that's just bacon. My daughter probably took it off hers and gave it to Alex to put on his.

Post Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:45 pm
BBQ Deputy

The week before we left I'd picked up 15 drumsticks at the store so Tuesday was Chicken Night. The only seasoning I brought along was the Black Forest so the drumsticks got a nice sprinkle that morning.

There was no way I could cook all the chicken indirect unless I grilled it in several batches, so I simply made sure the fire wasn't too hot. And since we had a couple of ears of corn left I made room so they could be reheated.
Image Image

After close attention and frequent turning to make sure the skin didn't burn, the drumsticks were done. The skin was nice and crisp and the meat had good flavor.

We also had some of the tomato-pepper salad left so I decided to toss it in the grill basket to see how it would turn out. The response was generally favorable except for one common item: the black olives, which got bitter.
Image Image

Wednesday we ate leftovers and went out for pizza that night, so the grill got a break. And Thursday night was the resort potluck/fish fry dinner so I made a batch of broccoli and mushrooms while my older daughter made some twice-baked potatoes. Well, maybe they weren't baked twice...microwaved once and grilled once would be more accurate. But they were actually quite good and none were left after the party.
Image Image

Our last day was Friday and since we were going out for fish that night it was necessary to eat a big lunch. We had a pound of shrimp left from Sunday and I had prepped 6 pork chops (Black Forest again) Wednesday afternoon for Thursday dinner before learning of the potluck, so they were quite well-seasoned. The shrimp went in a quick marinade of olive oil, salt, dried oregano, and a little vinegar. Oh, and some bacon that had been partially cooked in the microwave and then chopped.
Image Image

The shrimp went in the basket and after it was done the chops went over direct coals. I had to borrow a little bit of charcoal from one of the neighbors in order to have enough heat to get through the cook. I wish I'd taken a photo of the sliced chops because they came out very good; firm but moist and flavorful - almost as if they were slightly cured. And the bacon really added some good flavor to the shrimp, too.
Image Image

The night before Erin and Alex had caught some crawfish in the lake so they got boiled as a side dish. They turned out OK but the best part was the story of them encountering a black bear near the lake...fortunately nothing happened except for them heading back to the buildings and the bear running into the woods.

My older daughter had been wanting to try making cookies so we bought some chocolate chip dough and put the cookies into a couple of foil pans.

However, she used olive oil to grease the pans so the cookies had an interesting flavor! :lol:

It was a good week. The weather stayed on the cool side (70s) and the only day we lost to rain was Friday, and I even managed to get my golf game working somewhat relatively well. Only 50 weeks until we go back!

Return to General Discussion