Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Homemade Kimchi ... Almost

Homemade Kimchi ... Almost

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Bought turnips when I produce shopped this weekend with the intent of roasting them in the coals but decided to do a homemade kimchee instead. Didn't feel like going back to the store last night so I used what I had on hand - 3 medium sized turnips, a bunch of red radishes, and a red onion. Used my mandolin to slice uniformly. Layered turnips and sprinkled fine ground sea salt over, radishes with more sea salt, more turnips w/ sea salt, red onion w/ sea salt and sprinkled crushed red pepper flakes over. Continued my layers until everything I sliced was used up. Sprinkled more pepper flakes over top. Let it sit on the counter last night to start to ferment but put in refrigerator this morning. I will probably alternate, about 8 hours on counter then 8 hours in refrigerator, for about a week. Will drain excess liquid that develops every couple of days.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:40 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Short of cabbage and carrots, that seems like a pretty authentic kimchi since there are many types. I look forward to seeing and hearing about the results!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:16 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Short of cabbage and carrots, that seems like a pretty authentic kimchi since there are many types. I look forward to seeing and hearing about the results!

Carrots in my refrigerator went into my compost pile. It was getting late in the evening when I decided to do this and did not feel like running to the store - multi-ethnic where I buy most of my produce was closed - and did not feel like running to grocery store for carrots, cabbage and/or bok choi.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:00 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Cactus1 wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

Carrots in my refrigerator went into my compost pile. It was getting late in the evening when I decided to do this and did not feel like running to the store - multi-ethnic where I buy most of my produce was closed - and did not feel like running to grocery store for carrots, cabbage and/or bok choi.

I know the feeling. I've done that with celery, cabbage and carrots a few times. However, the biggest culprit for this in my experience are bean sprouts. After a few days in the fridge, they're mush.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:30 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Cactus1 wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

I know the feeling. I've done that with celery, cabbage and carrots a few times. However, the biggest culprit for this in my experience are bean sprouts. After a few days in the fridge, they're mush.

I don't buy sprouts for exactly that reason. Almost bought a a sprouter last weekend - Mason Jar with a plastic screened lid. Figured why spend $14.95? I've got Mason Jars - just need to get a small piece of nylon sceren cut at local Ace Hardware and I'm going to have the same thing.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Wow - I have a couple big clean pickle jars and I just re-screened a couple of windows so I have some screen left. Do you think that would work as a sprouter?

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:24 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Wow - I have a couple big clean pickle jars and I just re-screened a couple of windows so I have some screen left. Do you think that would work as a sprouter?

Don't see any reason for it not to work. Your screen is nylon? You got the jars and going to probaly throw away the leftover screen. Got nothing to lose. Go for it!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion