Board index Barbecue Board Best BBQ Joint My Favorites ...

My Favorites ...

What's your favorite place (aside from your backyard) to eat BBQ?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I have several that I'm partial to ... Chisholm Trail in Lockhart, Tx., City Barbecue in Columbus, Oh., BoneDaddy's in Midland, Mi., Pappy's in St. Louis, Mo., Sweet Baby Ray's in Wood Dale, Il., 17th St in Marion & O'Fallon, Il.
Best of these is either Pappy's in St. Louis or Bonedaddy's in Midland, Mi.
I'm a long time fan of Skip Steele, pitmaster at Pappy's or maybe by now ex-pitmaster. Skip has his own place not to far from Pappy's - Bogart's (I haven't been to Bogart's yet) - and Skip was doing double duty - being pitmaster at both the last I knew. Or Bonedaddy's in Midland, Mi. owned by legendery ribber Billy "Bones" Wall's son Bill. Bill is also the pitmaster. BoneDaddy's competes at the Best of The West, in Reno, over the Labor Day weekend and consistently either comes home with the Championship trophy or People's Choice award.
My local favorite is Uncle Bub's in Westmont, Il. Mark Linc is the owner and pitmaster. Uncle Bub's is a restaraunt, caterer, and competition barbecue team - I don't compete but got to hang out with them a couple years ago at Westmont's Red, White, and Barbecue over Memorial Day weekend. I'm partial to Uncle Bub's rib tips and burnt ends. My wife likes their chicken. Mark and his team went to Best of The West for the first time in 2011 and came home with the Best Sauce trophy. Uncle Bub's also bottles their barbecue sauce and it is available either at the restaraunt or on their web site - www.unclebubs.com .
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:41 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's a pretty nice list, Cactus. I've never eaten at any of them but know their reputations.

While driving around Indy on I-465 yesterday I saw a sign for City BBQ, so apparently the franchise has expanded beyond Ohio.

Post Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:33 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

I had heard that they're in Indy and think they've opened up somewhere else in Ohio. Hope they don't expand to much. To hard to control quality when you try to go to big. I remember Famous Dave's when Dave wasn't so famous and just starting out as a ribber. His ribs were great and he became a consistent winner quickly. Started to open and franchise restaraunts. While they are still quite good, you can definitely tell a difference from location to location, especially if you eat at one in Minnesota, one in Illinois, and one in Ohio for example.
We both know that this happens in just about all aspects of the food industry. Used to see Sonic advertised on cable all the time - none in Chicago area - ate at my first in Arizona several years ago and it was really good. Have eaten at more than a few since and really good. Have expanded more into Illinois and Chicago area in the past few years. Quality is not as good as I remember Sonic to be. Ate at one in Metropolis, IL last summer so bad we could not finish what we ordered. When I said something to the manager he was very indifferent. Should have complained to Sonic corporate but I didn't.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to Best BBQ Joint