Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot dogs coast to coast

Hot dogs coast to coast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:46 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dunno how many of you saw this on the home page:

http://barbecuebible.com/2013/06/26/man ... -hot-dogs/

My favorite is a deconstructed Chicago dog: Vienna Beef or similar with just mustard and a pickle spear, on the requisite poppyseed bun (preferably a "Mary Ann" from S. Rosen). Incidentally, a natural-casing dog works just as well!

I grew up eating Oscar Mayer and Ball Park hot dogs (both just fine for kids) and didn't learn about VB, Best, etc. until I lived in the Chicago area in the late '80s. To think I went over 21 years without experiencing a really good hot dog!! :(

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:44 am
Griffin well done
well done

I've always wanted to try one of those sonora dogs since I saw them on some tv show.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:34 pm
BBQ Deputy

I take it you have to head west/southwest from Dallas to easily find them?

Sometime this weekend (even though I work tomorrow it's still a 4-day weekend) I'm going to grill up some hot dogs guaranteed to annoy people in both New York and Chicago: skinless Nathan's on Chicago-style poppyseed buns. :lol:

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:54 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Brad, I did catch Steven's blog post... most interesting. I'll add my input as he requested. Everyone please understand my bias because of where I'm at, but I believe the LA area dogs are most worthy of a spot in that lineup for a few very good reasons. First of all, we have the legendary Dodger Dog, that overgrown wonder that no self-respecting spectator would be without. Then we have the world famous "Pink's" hot dog stand in Hollywood, where even the celebrities frequent. Their menu features a plethora of varieties and folks from all over the world have been there. And did you know?-- LA consumes more hot dogs than any other city in the U.S., even NY? (If I am not mistaken, CA consumes more than any other state as well). Some may also be curious to know that the bacon-wrapped dog has more or less been adopted as the official dog of LA-- pretty much the basis of a Sonoran dog.

I guess you can imagine if one were to ask me what the top three football teams are, of course I would argue the San Diego Chargers!

Moving on with this idea of personal favorites, I'll share the one I cooked up for this here 4th of July. This is what I call the "Official Beercuer Dog." I sure hope that does not sound arrogant... it's just that I'm so proud of this puppy. A few of you know that I have tried seemingly countless varieties and variations, but if I had to choose, this one would be the one. And actually, Brad, it has much in common with your preferences-- puppy seeds on the roll, lotsa yellow mustard, and pickles (albeit on the side).

So, time to get started. Like Steven, I tend to really enjoy the Hebrew Nationals, particularly though, the beef knockwurst. However, my go to choice is this regional "Hoffy" brand, which just so happens to be the very same supplier to that world famous Pink's of which I referred. Notice that these are bun length dogs-- you'll see how dachshund-like this plated dog gets.

Let's see how the cooking of these goes from start to finish. I find that I prefer to grill mine indirect, under the nuance of mesquite or hickory smoke, in this case, mesquite. I believe the dogs develop more flavor this way. Maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me, but the experience sure feels real.

Time to break out a serious roll, a long artisan filone with plenty of them puppy seeds and such. Notice I fit two bun length dogs together inside it. Generous globs of good ol' yellow 'Marican mustard followed.

That would be great in itself, but let's take the flavor up a few notches. How about some potato salad and sliced tomato for more toppings? Pickles on the side and some nice pretzels to go with it (and don't forget your beer/ale!).

Lastly, here's the long view, if interested. I failed to get in the pic the coarse ground pepper with which I finished it. Optionally, a little celery seed could get included. Makes my top ten list anyway-- barkin' good. :D :cheers: :bbq:

Perhaps others would like to post their pics here as well?

Got beer???

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 am
Griffin well done
well done

I don't often make it to Ranger's games over in Arlington, but if I did, I wouldn't mind trying the "Boomstick". A $26 2 foot long hot dog smothered in chili, nacho cheese, carmelized onions and jalapenos.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/03/31/pf/boomstick-hot-dog/index.html

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 pm

I read that blog post as well and was happy to see that these made the list-

They are made at a local meat processor about 12 miles south of me in Bangor, W.A. Bean and Sons, a family owned business established in 1860. They are the last hot dog maker in the state of Maine.
Red dogs are summer in Maine.

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:43 pm
Seattle-Q well done
well done

Nothing better than a natural casing sabrett hot dog with some onion sauce and a shot of mustard.

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:49 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

I live in the Chicago area and can get all kinds of dogs - Vienna, Best Kosher, Nathan's, etc. + any number of local butchers and multi-ethnic grocers that make their own. Many of these are very good. Personally think the Vienna are way over rated. Seems like there is a hot dog place on just about every other corner especially as you get closer to the city. Chicago style dog ... bleh! Most throw a bunch in a big steamer pot or simmering water ... don't replenish til they sell what they already have. Most use the Rosen's bun but put in a steamer drawer and let sit until they're mush. Classic toppings OK but not great. I can generally get a better dog at 7-11 @ $2.22 for two.
Hot Dog that I keep a good supply of is the Kirkland Brand Beef Hot Dog from Costco. I don't even bother with the jumbo 1/4 lb'rs - just the regular bun length. These are as good as if not better than any of the commercial all beef hot dogs out there. My bun I don't worry about to much. There are some good artesian type buns out there but I stick with the cheap store brand buns. I've worked the bun line in a commercial bakery - buns are all the same - they just change the wrapper. I did get my 4th of July hot dogs tonight. Plans got changed an I grilled fillets cut from a whole tenderloin. I keep the whole gamut of toppings for others but my toppings are simple - jalapeno pepper slices and my favorite, imported from Cleveland, Stadium Mustard.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:04 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

One of my mottos in life is to try to learn something new every day. Consider my knowledge expanded with the mighty "Broomstick" and the "Official: Barbecuer's dog. (Potato salad a nice touch.) Keep the suggestions coming!

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:17 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Steven wrote:
... . Consider my knowledge expanded with the mighty "Broomstick" and the "Official: Barbecuer's dog. (Potato salad a nice touch.) Keep the suggestions coming!

Thank you, Steven. I so prefer my original name "Beercuer" (or "BC") to "Barbecuer."
Got beer???

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:23 pm
BBQ Deputy

That's a most impressive hot dog, BC! :thumbup: After it's been displayed do you cut it in half between the links?

I like the looks of the red hot dogs that Cliff posted, too. The only red hot dog I had (a few years back) was pretty disappointing because it seemed to be something like a Ballpark frank colored red, and I was expecting more in the flavor department.

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:53 am
Cactus1 well done
well done

Had friends in the Buffalo area that relocated to lower Manhatten very near the SoHO/Greenwich Village area. Their townhouse had one of the few backyards in Manhatten - very small by our standards. They were very diverse people and knew people all over the world. They would through a hellacious party on the weekend before Labor Day weekend and people would come from all over for this party. She was an artist and connected into the whole Greenwich Village thing. They'd order 3 cases of hot dogs from a butcher in Buffalo for the main meat - some very good hot dogs come from the butchers in Buffalo. I've lost contact with them and haven't been to one of these parties since 1995, but they were one helluva good time!
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 am
Griffin well done
well done

Steven wrote:
One of my mottos in life is to try to learn something new every day. Consider my knowledge expanded with the mighty "Broomstick" and the "Official: Barbecuer's dog. (Potato salad a nice touch.) Keep the suggestions coming!

Whoops. My bad. Typo. That was supposed to be "Boomstick". No "r" in it.

Glad to see you posting here now, Steven. Been a huge fan for years. :cheers:

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I suppose I would be amiss if I did not post my Woo Doggie. Here, you can see where out here we can get dogs that are already wrapped in bacon.

Set to go, so let's head out to the pit and hot smoke these with hickory. Gotta luv smoky bacon dogs. Interestingly, the LA area has adopted bacon wrapped dogs as its official signature dog.

What do you say we go deluxe and decadent with this one. We better break out the extra grande tortillas for this one. And let's start hitting it with globs of yellow mustard and chopped red jalapenos.

Perhaps add some Wolf's chili (Texas approved Griff!) and onions.

And top it all off with cheddar chunks and crumbled Frito's corn chips.

Let's roll it up and plate it. BBQ tater chips and more corn chips in the background, drizzled with more chili. Woo Doggie!-- Where's the game?! :D

Got beer???

Post Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

beercuer - That is one hellacious hot dog! I've wrapped dogs and other sausages in tortillas before but nothing that elaborate.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Next

Return to General Discussion