Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion July's Online Block Party - Chicken!

July's Online Block Party - Chicken!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:51 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This month, our Online Block Party is all about .... chicken! Whether it's wings, thighs, whole bird, or drumsticks, and whether it's BCC, smoked, grilled, or skewered, we want to see your favorites! Feel free to post as many entries as you like.

Bring on the birds! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:19 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I understand this month's ba-ba-bwak party features the honorable chicken. (Oooh, that's bad). I guess I could start things off getting two birds with one stone, seeing that saucy BBQ chicken is also a classic 4th of July treat as well.

I quartered this bird, and hit it with plenty of ground chipotle and chopped fresh sage (You know I like heat, and sage is one of my Western style favorite herbs.

Though I cooked it indirect and hot, it caught a lot of good hickory smoke.

Lastly, the yummy BBQ sauce. Sure goes mighty fine with corn on the cob, potato salad, watermelon, and a fine beer. Of course, in this kind of sweltering heat many of us are experiencing, a Margarita with lots of crushed ice is quite a tempting libation as well. :cheers: :bbq:

Got beer???

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:25 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Super excited about this block party. I thought the steak photos were amazing--grill on!

SR

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice-looking chicken, BC! The chipotle gave it some good color before you sauced it.

I hope you're not having weather like Arizona and New Mexico...are you close enough to the ocean to see a moderating effect?

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice-looking chicken, BC! The chipotle gave it some good color before you sauced it.

I hope you're not having weather like Arizona and New Mexico...are you close enough to the ocean to see a moderating effect?

Thank you, Brad. I so like the chipotle for how it enhances the flavor.

...Not even close enough to the ocean. I'm more of a desert rat than a beach dude-- about half way between Palm Springs and LA in what is known as the "Inland Empire." Just one day of this is enough to wilt a lawn. This morn I did spy some dark clouds up above, so I sure would not object to a good ol' fashioned summer thuderstorm... hope, hope, hope.
Got beer???

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:54 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

As you've probably seen by now, I'm an early riser. These sorts of photos drive me crazy before breakfast!

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 am
Griffin well done
well done

Great looking chicken!

I don't know what my problem is...I cook two chickens the day before the chicken block party starts and then cook a big ole ribeye the day after the steak block party ends. :oops: Oh well, plenty of time to cook some sheekan up still. :cheers:

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:47 am
Griffin well done
well done

This will be my first, but not last chicken post, I'm sure. I did cook the chicken on Sunday but the rest of it went together last night (7/2/13)

ON the Egg indirect at 375F for about 30 minutes

Now that was some pretty darn good enchiladas!

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:32 pm
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

That's one sexy bird, Griffin! It's showing some nice leg. And those are some red-hot-looking chicken pieces, Beercuer!

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:26 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For my first chicken post I decided to do things a bit differently. I cooked these on Canada Day (July 1) and the outdoor temps were in the 90's to 100's so I didn't want to spend too much time in front of the grill. Plus, the guests were only over for a little while before we were all heading off to another party so I needed something quick to cook.

My preference for chicken has always been thighs, because they have a combination of light and dark meat and I think they taste the best of any part of the bird. I like to skin and debone the thighs myself and save the bones for stock, and to grill the meat flat as it cooks quickly. You can cook chicken like this as a paillard and it's relatively low in fat, too.

This time, though, I decided to go even further by cutting the thigh meat in half and skewering it. This makes for an excellent kebab that cooks very quickly and can be the base for hundreds of different marinades. In fact, it's how I tested my Planet Barbecue rubs and marinades when I got them a few years ago.

This first batch is using Steven's recipe from page 17 of Planet Barbecue. It's a Malaysian marinade with lemongrass, ginger, garlic, shallots and a few other ingredients and it's also the marinade in the Malaysian Spatchcocked Spicy Grilled Chicken on ther Primal Grill website:
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=227&EpisodeID=24

Coincidentally, it's also very close to the same Malaysian marinade Steven sells in the Store on this site, too. It's a powerfully-flavored marinade in any case, and it's one of my two current favorite marinades for pork or chicken.

These skewers cook very quickly - a few minutes a side on an IR grill like this one. I decided to try a few across the grill and a few along the bars of the grill. The housing for my side/sear burner also acts as a kebab rack and keeps the meat off the grates, for the most part.

Here they are all cooked. The taste of these kebabs were absolutely amazing without being too overly spicy.

Meanwhile, on the main grill I was cooking a different lind of kebab. These are with a 6-pepper rub I came up with. The baby potatoes have been parboiled for 15 minutes, and they also have a coating of EVOO and the same rub. The chicken will be very spicy.....

... especially because I sauced the skewers with my new favorite "doctor sauce". This is a combination of Denzel's "Fire Hazard" habanero-garlic sauce and store-bought BBQ sauce in equal amounts. This was a very hot BBQ sauce indeed, but the spuds help to cut the heat as they had a natural sweetness to them.

Cooked up a few skewers of veggies as well. These got moved to the warming rack pretty quickly as they were cooking fast.

And here's the finished product. This chicken was very moist (it's a thigh, so yeah, it's moist), and the sauce was pleasantly hot and worked very well with the spices. A couple of bits were more well-done than I like but in general both of these kebabs were some of the best chicken I've ever grilled. I plan to do a lot of my chicken this way from now on.

Incidentally, these are the last-known pics of these kebabs. Everything you see here was devoured only moments later by 5 insanely-hungry diners (myself included) as an appetizer so there was no time to take more pics. That's good, right?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:19 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great job! I especially like the bits of char you got on the chicken early on and everything else looks really good, too.

You grilled everything homogeneously but because chicken needs to be cooked thoroughly it seems like it could be on the same skewer as some vegetables, as long as nothing's touching.

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Great looking chicken!

I don't know what my problem is...I cook two chickens the day before the chicken block party starts and then cook a big ole ribeye the day after the steak block party ends. :oops: Oh well, plenty of time to cook some sheekan up still. :cheers:

I did the same thing. Great chicken pieces last week and sliced up a beef tenderloin into fillets for the 4th.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

See some great chicken! I do beer can but like cut up bone in skin on pieces the best. good batch of wings is probably next up on the chicken agenda. During the week or next weekend. Rest of this weekend is committed.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:57 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Great posts, all! The chicken enchiladas make me drool and the chicken thigh kebabs with Planet Barbecue Malaysian Spice Paste make me want to board a plane headed for Southeast Asia immediately. (Hey, love the skewers, too.) We've been getting some really nice chicken here on Martha's Vineyard lately: free range birds from local farms. We spit roast them on a kettle grill with a handful of wood chips on the coals. I LOVE these block parties! Keep photos and recipes coming.

Next

Return to General Discussion