Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pork tenderloins on the Egg

Pork tenderloins on the Egg

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 am
tbk420 well done
well done

Smoked a couple of tenderloins with a little manzanita wood this weekend. Did one teriyaki, and one buffalo style:

Nice, healthy Sunday dinner. :D

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job! You even got a good smoke ring, too.

What temp were they at when they came off the grill? It's always nice to see a juice puddle under a tenderloin since they can be overcooked so easily.

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:39 am
Griffin well done
well done

:cheers: You done good. Like the sound of that Buffalo one. Love me some Buffalo style.

Post Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pork tenderloins are tough enough to grill, let alone smoke, but those look great, tbk420! How long were they smoked for and at what temps?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:46 am
tbk420 well done
well done

They went about an hour, indirect at 380. Wanted some caramelization on the sauces.

I pulled them at 150, and they likely coasted up a little bit higher during the rest.

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tbk420 wrote:
They went about an hour, indirect at 380. Wanted some caramelization on the sauces.

I pulled them at 150, and they likely coasted up a little bit higher during the rest.

Looks like you hit the sweet spot then. Nicely done! :D

So what is manzanita wood like? Is it close in taste to any other types of wood?
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:30 pm
tbk420 well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
tbk420 wrote:

So what is manzanita wood like? Is it close in taste to any other types of wood?

It's a bush that grows in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. I think it's distantly related to the blueberry.

It gives a fairly light smokiness that I think pairs well with the mildness of pork.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tbk420 wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
tbk420 wrote:

It's a bush that grows in the Pacific Northwest and Hawaii. I think it's distantly related to the blueberry.

It gives a fairly light smokiness that I think pairs well with the mildness of pork.

Thanks! I think I'll look it up. Currently I've got some whiskey barrel staves I have to prep, but I've also got a few sticks of calamansi wood I'd like to try out too.

Post Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:41 pm
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Nicely done 8)

Greg

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:31 pm
QJuju well done
well done

One of my favorites... nice cook!

Return to General Discussion