Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot dog! We're having hamburgers!

Hot dog! We're having hamburgers!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Since it was just me and my younger daughter for supper on Father's Day I decided to make some burgers. I started with a pound of ground beef, some smooth, meltable blue cheese I found in the fridge (had to trim off a little mold first), and a healthy dose of Steven's Black Forest rub.

I mixed everything by hand until I had a log that could be cut into 4 relatively equal pieces, because I had 4 buns that needed to be used.

But not 4 burger buns - 4 hot dog buns.

And not 4 plain burgers, either - 4 cheeseburgers.

I also grilled some of my new favorite bacon.
Image Image

One advantage of putting a burger on a long roll is that the bacon fits a lot better! The assembly order was bottom bun, bacon, burger, mustard, bacon, top bun.

General consensus was that the burgers were really good (even Mrs. Chicken's burger that she reheated for lunch the next day) and I'll go so far as to say they were some of my best ever. There wasn't really a noticeable blue cheese flavor but there was sort of a tangy essence, and the Black Forest mix really went well with the beef. And we all know what bacon brings to a burger! :wink:

Post Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Brad, those are some of the wickedest burgers I've seen in a while! I'm going to do this for my own spare hot dog buns too.

And Country Pork Jowl? That stuff sounds great too. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:50 am
QJuju well done
well done

I like it! Good stuff in that burger to be sure.

Post Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Awesome and ingenious. Oscar Meyer who?!

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:59 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Shhh...don't say that too loud. OM's right up the road from me and I don't want that black Wienermobile parked in front of my house... :wink: :lol:

Return to General Discussion