Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Traeger grills

Traeger grills

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:58 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

So considering we are a mixed batch here does anyone else have a Traeger and if so what's your opinion, pro or con.
We picked up a Texas 075 the other day because my wife actually liked it and said it looked like something she would use and I have to admit it's not bad, well so far anyway I'm doing my first cook today, 2 chickens to see if I'll keep it, eh, we all know better than that. I know they really aren't the best thing for searing and they don't impart a heavy smoke flavor which is something the wife also likes, she isn't big on a lot of smoke on anything but pulled pork. The fuel isn't real cheap either but I have seen stuff that costs more and it's not charcoal or gas even though I have seen charcoal flavored pellets :roll: and if the power goes out the darn thing can be powered off a 400 watt inverter :shock: .
22.5 WSM - Chargriller - Traeger Texas
I cook to eat not to compete

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:14 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't have a Traeger, but Ive used a few. They're really good units for what they're designed for, which is low-'n-slow cooking.

And their rib rack is the biggest one I've seen - mine holds 8 slabs of ribs and is really heavy-duty. In fact, I'm lending it to the machine-shop guy down the road and he thinks he'll use it as a model to make some for his big offset-barrel trailer rig.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:35 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I went to Traeger's website and checked it out - looks like a pretty nice unit! Is it possible to use aftermarket, less-expensive pellets?

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:31 am
Old Smoker well done
well done

SC I've been looking into that and there are some places that will ship for free and the pellets cost less. There is one place I saw that if you have the space they'll sell you a ton and I mean and actual ton, 2000lbs for $485. The pellet usage so far isn't they say a 20lb bag lasts like to a 20lb tank on a gas grill. I still will use the WSM for most smoking and my CG for grilling, like I said this one is my wifes. :lol:

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:10 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

I have heard you can buy pellets made for a pellet burning fireplace much cheaper than pellets made for the Traeger. It's one of those things that they can charge more for because of the name slapped on it.

I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I don't know that I could explain another smoker to Mrs Tex. :)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:
I have heard you can buy pellets made for a pellet burning fireplace much cheaper than pellets made for the Traeger. It's one of those things that they can charge more for because of the name slapped on it.

I've heard the same thing, but I've also heard that it's tough to get pellets of specific woods or wood combinations that way.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:57 pm
Old Smoker well done
well done

Thats why I'm looking around, I've been told that some heating pellets are made from a mix of almost any kind of wood some of which you don't want to cook with. If Costco decides to carry Traeger grills for awhile they'll start stocking the pellets and that means cheaper than you can find them delivered. I did do a couple of birds the other day, nothing note worthy in appearance but I have to admit it did a fine job on them.

Post Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:19 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Pellets for an auger stove are not food grade.

The grilling pellets are made with clean single species woods and the machines
are kept clean like a commercial kitchen and the lubes for the
machines are food grade as well.

Lots of sources other than Traeger out there.

Trying to find time to get mine back on line.
Stored it improperly and the pellets in the auger swelled up,
locked the mech and blew the motor.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
New Braunfels Hondo offset
Bar-B-Chef offset
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Q-220

Return to General Discussion