Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Best store-bought sausage I have found

Best store-bought sausage I have found

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:09 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

While staying in New Braunfels, TX this weekend on vacation, I picked up a package of this sausage at Walmart and was VERY pleased with it. The casings had a real nice snap to them. I'm guessing it is maybe just found in that region of the state because I have never seen it in any other Walmart before. It cost about a dollar per link. It looks like you can order it online, so once I cook all of it I may have to order more. If you are in the area, GET SUM! :thumbup:

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure I've seen these at one of the larger WalMarts up here too. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

sroach well done
well done

That packaging does look familiar.. I will have to grab a pack next time I see them.

Thanks Toby!

Griffin well done
well done

Southside Market in Elgin Texas. Wonder if they still make it themselves or if they have a big company making it for them now. I still need to get out there. Got some of their sauce and it was pretty tasty. I don't know that I have a favorite sausage (besides my own). Mrs. G likes Opa's. Prasek's is pretty good. I used to be a big fan of V&V when I lived down in South Texas, but haven't had it is years. I'll keep my eye out for that one, though, Toby.

QJuju well done
well done

Let's see... jalapeno, beef, pork, cheddar... oh yeah! I'd eat that.

There is also a brand called Kiolbassa that is outstanding as well.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, Mideon2000! It'd be great if you could go to the "what does your username say about you" thread and introduce yourself!

Cactus1 well done
well done

Not to far up I35 from New Braunfels is San Marcos. First time I ever walked into a HEB (grocery store) in San Marcos, I wanted to go find out where I could rent a refrigerated truck, so I could load it up and drive back to Illinois. Best overall sausage case I ever saw and the whole meat department was just as good looking.
* IHP Cactus Farm & Sauce Shack *
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:57 am
jhumpert well done
well done

Diva Q (Danielle Dimovski) went to Southside Market on BBQ Crawl episode 1 in case you want to see where they come from. Those Cheddar Jalapeno sausages are her favorite and she has them shipped all the way to Canada. They make them right onsite in Elgin.
Jeff,
Green Mountain Grills Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker - TBD
Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

BBQ Deputy

Even though Wisconsin has a great sausage tradition I'd definitely like to try some Texas sausages sometime.

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:11 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Even though Wisconsin has a great sausage tradition I'd definitely like to try some Texas sausages sometime.

Went to the Woodman's in N. Aurora yesterday. They have a pretty good sausage section. Thought maybe I'd get lucky and find something from Texas. No luck, but a lot of good Wisconsin sausages. Bought some Johnsonville And Klement's jalapeno cheddar brats for a comparison and bought some plain Klement's brats.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 am
BBQ Deputy

If you (or anybody else, for that matter) ever get up near Watertown you should make a point of checking out Glenn's Market. It's like a meat warehouse and they make some good varieties of sausage, like this Buffalo/Blue Cheese brat.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
If you (or anybody else, for that matter) ever get up near Watertown you should make a point of checking out Glenn's Market. It's like a meat warehouse and they make some good varieties of sausage, like this Buffalo/Blue Cheese brat.

Oh wow - I'd second that. In fact, if I lived in the area I'd be a weekly visitor.

There are a couple of local butchers in my area that do something similar, but on a smaller scale. Glenn's selection of venison sausages alone are about 4x what I get at the local butcher's. Nice call, Brad! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:51 pm
Cactus1 well done
well done

Butcher in Plainfield, IL, Tischler's, that makes a variety of brats and other sausages. Lange's Old Time Meat Market in Michigan City, IN does to. Unfortunately in my travels I don't get in either direction that frequently.
18 1/2 & 22 1/2" WSM
22 1/2" OTS
26 3/4" OTG

Return to General Discussion