Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Steak!

June's Online Block Party - Steak!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:05 am
QJuju well done
well done

Aight... I'm jumping in. We do steak on the weekend a lot anyway so here is last nights meal. We were planning fillets and the CFO came home with 2 beautiful bone-in ribeyes-- who was I to complain! :lol:

I think the best steak preparation is simple. So I season well with Kosher salt and let sit on the counter while the egg is firing up. I do not add pepper in advance as pepper can burn, but I add plenty when it hits my plate. Once it has reached 500+ and the cast iron grate is smoking hot the steaks go on. I worked with a 2 minute timer for these and they were cooked 4 minutes per side with a quarter turn in the middle. A side salad and some grilled asparagus-- that's as good as it gets to me.

They were a little on the small side, but I made it work. :) :lol:

edit-- almost forgot... we had an unexpected guest show up for dinner!

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:34 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Shazbot!!! :shock: Those rib-eyes are insanely droolworthy out-of-this-world, Qjuju!Image

Funny... I grilled a T-bone yesterday (which I'll post later) almost verbatim to how you describe, and the killer grid marks evaded me. MasterChef you are, I tell ya. I also notice how juicy they appear. :cheers:

(I guess your guest got word there was a block party going on! He is just too cute with his nose up in the air catching the wind like that, enjoying the aroma)!
Last edited by beercuer on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:03 am

These bone-in rib eyes look AMAZING!!!! It's not something you would see over here though I guess you could order up from a butcher. I have cooked another 2 steaks since, but the photos weren't really post-worthy. Last nights was a piece of rump from Costco. I was a bit greedy eating it all and now have horrible heartburn! Serves me right!

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:30 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:
They were a little on the small side, but I made it work. :) :lol

"Small", he sez. Those look about the right size to me. :D

Very nice spread, QJuju! Makes me want to go out and buy a slightly bigger one. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:42 pm
Trollby well done
well done

My First June steak entry:

Venison Kebobs
Pulled out some venison boneless steaks

Mixed up GF teriyaki, soy sauce, 5 cloves garlic, and fresh ground pepper

cube up the steak and add to the marinate

Place on bamboo kabob skewers with red and yellow peppers and red onion

Raining out so gasser gets the duty

Get the rice going for risotto

Just about done medium

Plated up with green beans and sun-dried tomato rissoto

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:28 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice one, Trollby! I could do with a bit of venison right now. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Kind of an impromptu cook yesterday, so I wasn't too prepared to take pics, but here are a couple I snapped of a Ribeye and Sweet PotAder. :)

20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Page 4's a winner so far - good entries!

Or should that be entrees? :lol:

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:29 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Page 4's a winner so far - good entries!

Or should that be entrees? :lol:

+1 - and it's a bit of both (entries and entrees). :D

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:23 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice work Qjuju, Trollby and tex_toby! Wow. 8)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 am
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

You guys are killing me with these photos -- they're all amazing!! And those cheesesteak calzones look exquisite! I updated the homepage with more of these great shots.

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:54 am
QJuju well done
well done

I did filets for Father's Day. I didn't get too many photos as I was focued on my dad and enjoying the day. Here is a phone pic I took.

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:14 am
BBQ Deputy

Those are some beautiful grill marks! Were you cooking on your grill at home or his?

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:29 am
BBQ Deputy

Since I eat chuck steak more than any other cut it's my contribution to the thread. Last weekend I took a package of 2 out of the freezer.

I seasoned them with salt and pepper and then one side got garlic powder while the other got onion powder and mustard powder. To top it off I sprinkled enough soy sauce to create kind of a paste, and then they went in the fridge for a day. Aside from the mustard powder this is how I used to always prep my steaks regardless of how they were going to be cooked.

Because of its fat content I generally have to grill chuck steak with the lid closed at least part of the time to prevent flareups. I leave the lid up for less fatty steaks because I like them rare but with a definitely done exterior.

Just how I like it! The day before I'd fixed some asparagus and mushrooms in a grill basket and since I'd only used half of each I used the rest this night.

I buy my beef from the same source every year, and while the chuck steaks in some past years have been a little tougher the steaks from my last couple of orders have been relatively tender. They still require a sharp knife to cut but aren't unreasonably chewy.

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 am
QJuju well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
The day before I'd fixed some asparagus and mushrooms in a grill basket and since I'd only used half of each I used the rest this night.

First... you make chuck look better than anyone I know. Makes me want to lick the screen. I really like this vege combo you've put together. I'm going to give that a try in the near future.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion