Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion What did dad teach YOU?

What did dad teach YOU?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Father's Day is almost here. To celebrate, I asked 3 grill masters what they learned from their fathers. Check it out here: http://barbecuebible.com/2013/06/06/14-fathers-day-lessons-about-barbecue-life/#.UbEZhpU5ulI

What lessons about barbecue--and life--did YOUR dad teach you?

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:01 am
Trollby well done
well done

Sorry to say my father was not a good cook, he could grill "o-kay" but when I got to my teens I took over the home grill duties.

I think since I started at young age it helped me get interested in cooking, wasn't until I met up with other grillers and smokers that I started to get much better.

This forum helped alot with this, kind of like the big-brothers of Grilling

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 am
Griffin well done
well done

About cooking? Unfortunately, nothing.

About being a good person? Everything.

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:39 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

My dad has never cooked a day in his life.

So not much in the cooking department :)

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Sorry to say my father was not a good cook, he could grill "o-kay" but when I got to my teens I took over the home grill duties.
That's how it was for me, too. My dad only knew well-done (at least today he's managed to accept "medium") so he kind of taught me in reverse because I learned to grill in order to get my burgers and steaks how I liked them.

He did teach me how to light charcoal with an acetylene torch, though...that kind of fun's tough to beat! :twisted:

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:06 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

When I was 5 years old my dad taught me how to carefully light a charcoal fire, way back in the days of lighter fluid. He also gave me basic tips on how to grill a steak well-done, which is the only way he'll eat meat. I learned how to cook it rare and medium-rare from a neighbor. :D

My dad also taught me how to assemble a gas grill and test the gas lines, but he never taught me how to do it without making a mistake and swearing up a storm. I learned the proper (non-cussing) way to assemble a grill later on my own too - it's called "reading the instructions". :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:26 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
When I was 5 years old my dad taught me how to carefully light a charcoal fire, way back in the days of lighter fluid. ... :

CG, do you ever get nostalgic and fire up with lighter fluid? I will confess that I do. Moreover, I never did realize what some folks maintain about an icky taste effect working it's way into the food. Rather, to me it's like how some people maintain the superiority of CD discs, but I much prefer the warmth and timber and quality of LP Liccorice Pizzas. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 am

My dad taught me that a recipe is only a 'guide' and I think that was a really useful point to make!!

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:44 am
QJuju well done
well done

As others have said, mine taught me everything, but he is the reason I cook. He wasn't a barbecuer per se. Oh he would throw some burgers on the foil wrapped hibachi and chicken too. His real cooking passion was in the kitchen. He read the cook books and tried the recipes. He would take a few things and throw them together. His beef stew is still famous in our family and Christmas wasn't Christmas without his Harvard Beets.

He was a great teacher of many things... and he didn't have to be.

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:16 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:
When I was 5 years old my dad taught me how to carefully light a charcoal fire, way back in the days of lighter fluid. ... :

CG, do you ever get nostalgic and fire up with lighter fluid? I will confess that I do. Moreover, I never did realize what some folks maintain about an icky taste effect working it's way into the food. Rather, to me it's like how some people maintain the superiority of CD discs, but I much prefer the warmth and timber and quality of LP Liccorice Pizzas. :cheers:

Nostalgic for lighter fluid? If it were any other day, I'd just say "no, I don't".

But on this particular day I had a bit of a rant worked up so rather than hijack this thread, I posted it separately here:
http://barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24444
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:41 pm
Andy medium
medium

Dad taught me all the ins & outs of the Weber kettle. Although he generally made only basic stuff, he did it extremely well. If his eyesight was better, he would still be grilling.
Andy

Weber Genesis 1000
Weber 22.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 18.5" One-Touch Silver
Weber 14.5" Smoky Joe

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:14 am
Attrill well done
well done

My Dad was (and still is) decent with a grill, but is actually better at cooking in the kitchen. The first important thing that he taught me was that food matters, and in our family you were expected to cook a meal for everyone once a week after you turned twelve.

He taught me a lot about basic cooking principals in the kitchen, but as a 12 year old I was naturally drawn to building fires and live fire cooking. My Father helped me with that, and even refused to buy a gas grill when I asked for one since "gas has no flavor". At the time I thought my Dad was grilling genius with years of experience. 20 years later I learned he didn't really like to grill, but learned about it since I was interested in it. Now that I am a father myself the biggest thing he taught me was to encourage your kids in anything they're interested in, even if it doesn't exactly line up with your own interests.

Return to General Discussion