Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling on a shovel

Grilling on a shovel

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:33 pm
QJuju well done
well done

I think anything done over a ranch kettle looks mucho macho and wicked cool, but the shovel is an awesome presentation!

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:55 am
Attrill well done
well done

Years ago I used to work on a trail crew and we did this over campfires on a fairly regular basis. We actually had a pretty nice set up with campfire cooking tools, so it was really done for the effect more than out of necessity. The big advantage of cooking with a shovel is that you let it sit in the fire for awhile and let the shovel get screaming red hot. This gives you an incredible sear on the meat. There are loads of other ways to replicate this effect, but I think the sear is the main benefit for the flavor, and the presentation is great.

Post Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:50 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Attrill wrote:
Years ago I used to work on a trail crew and we did this over campfires on a fairly regular basis. We actually had a pretty nice set up with campfire cooking tools, so it was really done for the effect more than out of necessity. The big advantage of cooking with a shovel is that you let it sit in the fire for awhile and let the shovel get screaming red hot. This gives you an incredible sear on the meat. There are loads of other ways to replicate this effect, but I think the sear is the main benefit for the flavor, and the presentation is great.

True enough. The only ways I've gotten as good a sear as a screaming-hot shovel is either to hit it with my 500,000 BTU weed torch, or to cook it directly over a lit chinmey of charcoal.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:09 pm

Here is a youtube video of a shovel steak dinner I did back in April 2012. The story is on the video page. Got the idea from Steven cooking Lamb Chops, but in Texas, we cook steaks.
In fact, the image Steven is using on the BarbecueBible page showing the shovel steak dinners is my photo :) Happy that he used it. He had my permission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxPlU2aA3mw

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:59 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Neat video...and welcome to the board! :thumbup:

Previous

Return to General Discussion