Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grilling on a shovel

Grilling on a shovel

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:46 am
TheSauce raw
raw

What is the best (but inexpensive) shovel to use for grilling? This is a technique I would love to try but I am not sure where to find a "food grade" shovel.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 am
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Most I've seen are galvanized so stay clear of that.
Maybe just find a hunk of carbon steel and pretend.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 am
sroach well done
well done

Never heard of this.. Google and youtube here I come.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:17 am
jayeffel well done
well done

I've heard of this but never seen or used the technique. I can be safe in suggesting you don't clean out the barn or turn compost with the shovel before grilling - afterward okay. :bbq:

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=164&EpisodeID=39
Chargriller King Griller (Kamado)
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:25 am
QJuju well done
well done

I think Steven uses that technique for lamb, if memory serves, in Planet Barbecue.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 am
sroach well done
well done

OK, maybe I'm an idiot, but I have to ask why?

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:09 am
jayeffel well done
well done

I have to ask why?

Look at the link I entered, from Aussie land believe. May have been a necessity or nearly so at one time, probably novelty idea now. :cheers:
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:38 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've actually tried this a couple times, and it's definitely a novelty. I found a cheap, basic carbon steel shovel at a discount home center and used it. Just make sure that you sand off all the paint first. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:48 am
jayeffel well done
well done

Be something to surprise someone - go on a camping outing and then spring it on them when you grill. Of course, they may wonder why you have a shovel with you; then again maybe they are not that observant.
Chargriller Duo w/SFB;

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:10 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jayeffel wrote:
Be something to surprise someone - go on a camping outing and then spring it on them when you grill. Of course, they may wonder why you have a shovel with you; then again maybe they are not that observant.

I figure that carrying a shovel while camping would go unnoticed, generally. Camping is the only place I know where you can get away with carrying a beer in one hand and an axe in the other, so a shovel wouldn't be that big a deal. Just make it clear that you'r not digging latrines with it. :twisted: :mrgreen:

Try walkng around downtown with a a beer in one hand and an axe in the other, though, and you'll be saying "Something wrong, officer?" in about a minute flat. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm
QJuju well done
well done

sroach wrote:
OK, maybe I'm an idiot, but I have to ask why?

I asked why too. :D I think it started out of necessity, kind of like hoe cakes, and now it's a novelty. It would be sort of cool to pre-heat the shovel and slap a steak on it! Old school. :D

That reminds me of a humorous story. There was an assault in a surrounding county a few years ago and the sheriff was giving the details on the radio. He said, and I couldn't make this up. "A Bullitt County man was struck in the back by a hoe, a garden implement, this afternoon while leaving his home." :shock: :D :roll:

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:20 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Well, it's important to be precise.

Thankfully, "shovel" only means one thing. :wink:

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 pm
TheSauce raw
raw

Well, it is a novelty (and not practical) form of grilling. But think of the looks on your friend's faces when you say "Dinner's done!" and carry it over on to the table on a SHOVEL. I saw it on one of Steven's videos and it look like fun. So maybe I just buy any old shovel and grind off the glaze?

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:35 am
QJuju well done
well done

TheSauce wrote:
Well, it is a novelty (and not practical) form of grilling. But think of the looks on your friend's faces when you say "Dinner's done!" and carry it over on to the table on a SHOVEL. I saw it on one of Steven's videos and it look like fun. So maybe I just buy any old shovel and grind off the glaze?

Agree... awesome presentation. Be sure to get some pics if you do it. I am sure I am not alone when I say we would love to see the results.

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:12 am
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Hi, I asked Steven about the type of shovel to use, and here's what he said:

Use a steel shovel. You must burn any dirt, impurities, or sealer off of it. Do not use aluminum.

And here's a piece Steven wrote for the website in 2011 on grilling lamb on a shovel:

http://barbecuebible.com/2011/02/19/lamb-on-a-shovel/

Next

Return to General Discussion