Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pulled Beef Sammies

Pulled Beef Sammies

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

My wife and I were looking for a Boneless Chuck Roast the other day to make our go-to pot roast in the crock pot...I know, it's sacrilegious to some, but it's convenient and very tasty during a busy week. ;) Publix didn't have any Boneless Chuck Roasts, but they did have a few Boneless Shoulder Roasts. The shoulder roast didn't seem to have as much marbling or fat pockets, but we decided to get it anyways since it was all they had in stock. Well, we got sidetracked and ended up not even making the pot roast. Yesterday, we had extra time on our hands and I wanted to smoke something up on the grill....and since I had the 2.8 lb shoulder roast in the fridge already, I figured I'd give it a try for Pulled Beef.

Smoked it up with some Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Oak Chips....I've been on an Oak kick lately, and I love the aroma of the whiskey barrel chips.

It shrunk up quite a bit, and I was counting on it being super dry since it didn't have much fat at all. But it actually wasn't all that bad, and the added sauce compensated for the leanness quite a bit.

The sauce was a mixture of Horseradish, Mayo, Lemon Juice and S&P. My wife doesn't like Horseradish all by itself because of the spiciness factor, so this was a great compromise. I have to admit, I think I liked this sauce more. My neck hairs weren't standing up on end and I wasn't breathing fire out of my nose with each bite. :lol: The Lemon Juice gave it a nice refreshing flavor as well.

Served up with some fresh Squash and Zucchini Casserole. We picked the veggies yesterday morning from our garden, which we are very excited about. It's the first time we've been able to keep a garden alive!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:41 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal, that's one fine looking sammich. I love your choice of sauce as well - I've tried the same sauce and it's a family favorite. :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Looks lovely, as do your home grown veggies!

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:07 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Looks fantastic. Your sauce sounds like Stevens "pit beef" sauce in BBQ USA. It really compliments beef without overpowering those who don't like the horseradish bite

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:41 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Why do I always seem to read these before breakfast when I'm starving? Nice work!

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:31 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Steven wrote:
Why do I always seem to read these before breakfast when I'm starving? Nice work!

You and me both. I had a homemade huevos rancheros and steak burrito this morning. It was very good but I'd choose the dinner above over it anytime. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Looks really good. I'll have to give it a try.

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, D! Like Wolfpack said, your sauce contains all the ingredients in Steven's pit beef sauce and it's definitely very tasty.

No need to apologize for the crockpot. When time's at a premium it's often the right tool for the job; we like to use ours for corned beef.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 am
sroach well done
well done

Awesome looking piece of beef you made there Dyal, and that Squash and Zucchini looks really yummy too.

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:41 am
Griffin well done
well done

Very nice @Dying_SC. Did you foil at all during the cook?

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks y'all! I had no idea the sauce was similar to Steven's recipe. That is one of the few books of his that I do not own. I got the advice for the sauce from another forum. Sorry about that Steven! :)

Griffin, I didn't foil....just let her go low and slow until she was done. Only lifted the lid once at an internal temp of 170 deg f to make sure the bark wasn't getting dried out.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

Dyal - try foiling next time. The au jus you get is divine.

Post Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:31 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Pulled beef is wicked tasty... and I think i just ruined another keyboard... and I agree with Griff... foil for the jus! Thats why they call me jus jus! :lol:

Return to General Discussion