Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion ash buildup in firebox during long cooks

ash buildup in firebox during long cooks

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
jhumpert well done
well done

After long cook sessions I am getting lots of ash buildup in my firebox and I am pretty sure that is killing my airflow. Currently I have 3 paver bricks sideways across the bottom of the firebox then 4 bricks lengthwise 2 on each side which my grate rests on then I build my fire on that. Seems like I am having a super hard time keeping my fire going because the ash cant get past the bricks and is choking my airflow. I have bad problems keeping my fire going sometimes and lose my heat quick sometimes. When I beat on the firebox to help drop some ash away I always have ash drop out of the gap on the end vent.

Any budget friendly ideas that I could do to get rid of the bricks possibly and still keep my grades high enough in the firebox to get the heat at the mouth of the cooking chamber but yet allow the ash to drop down where I can maybe get some pulled out to keep airflow?
Jeff
Char-broil offset smoker- Freenie, Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Yes - try using a charcoal basket I picked up a pair at a local superstore for $8 and they're just those metal ones. Mine are about 10 inches wide x 12 long x 10 deep and they work well.

The nice thing about a charcoal basket is you just need to give it a few shakes (using gloves or tongs of course) and the ash falls right out. You don't lose much heat at all as the process is very quick.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

jhumpert well done
well done

I was thinking possibly getting a piece of gride metal and having it bent so it sits inside the firebox and would leave the center open to drop ash down the set my current grid on top of that possibly. Would need to measure how much room I have to slip it the door opening
Jeff
Char-broil offset smoker- Freenie, Pit Barrel Cooker- Barry

Trollby well done
well done

did not see you posted this twice, see other post for my solution

Return to General Discussion