Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Basic barbecue sauce - Barbecue bible

Basic barbecue sauce - Barbecue bible

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:46 am

What is tomato sauce? This is what we call ketchup, but that is also listed seperately in the ingredients!

Thanks, Ang

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:23 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Tomato sauce: available canned and made from cooked pureed tomatoes. Thinner than tomato paste and not sweet like ketchup.

Like a thin passata?

wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Tomato sauce is cooked and often has other ingredients like onions, garlic.

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Kitchenangel wrote:
Like a thin passata?

Yes - it's exactly like passata di pomodoro. Try to find one without a lot of added spices and other ingredients. I prefer it to our canned tomato sauce as it has a "brighter", less-processed flavor, and I get it from a local Italian market at the same price as a can of tomato sauce. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Cool. I just so happen to have a carton of plain passata in the cupboard!! I am planning to use the basic sauce recipe and build on it. I don't have pineapple juice, but will get some tomorrow. Interesting as I notice Sweet baby Ray's has pineapple juice in its ingredients, too! ( and a LOT of sugar or high fructose com syrup as it is called). Quite surprised by that a little put off by it, too :?

Ang

Return to General Discussion