Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BBQ Sauce of the Month

BBQ Sauce of the Month

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:25 pm
ddog27 medium-rare
medium-rare

Has anyone ever tried this? If so how were the BBQ sauces they sent you?

http://www.bbqsauceofthemonth.com/

:)

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:05 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Some people consider it sacrilegious to wrap smoked meats in aluminum foil, and some like me consider it sacrilegious to buy BBQ sauces. Here is a link to the recipe for my sauce. http://www.roffee.org/BBQRedSauced.htm

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:00 pm

Thanks Roff, I do intend to start making my own sauces, that seems like a good place to start. I do, however love Big Bob's championship white sauce which I keep on stock. It is probably derived from the Eastern Carolina sauce based on vinegar and not tomatoes. I will have to try to reconstruct it sometime. Thanks for the link- I will wip up a batch and let you know what I think. Cheers

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:01 pm
chagan well done
well done

The previous post was mine. Thanks again Roff.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:31 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I agree with those who say make your own sauce. With little effort you can do better than almost any commercial sauce. As the man says..."Anything, made in large enough quantities will be vile." I use the Basic Barbecue Sauce recipe in Steven's "Barbecue Bible", with some changes to adapt to our tatse. Since the first time I made it, my wife won't eat commercial sauce. I usually make a double batch and freeze it in serving size batxches in zip-lock bags.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:24 pm
dkirn well done
well done

In my house the 11th commandment is "Thow shall not use a commerical made BBQ Sauce"!! :lol:

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:16 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I agree with everybody else but my own dirty little secret is that I always have a bottle or two of bought sauces in the pantry, right next to the processed parmesan cheese. Both are used in the same way, emergence situations or when I'm just too darn lazy. A bottle a month would just never get used. Find a steak of the month club and I'm in!!

Post Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:45 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

I hate a BBQ sauce that's too thick, too sweet, and slides off the meat. So we make our own. We do keep a store bought bottle around for visiting kids in case they need sweet. I am interested in the sauce that ThrRoff linked and may give it a try. Thanks Roff!

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:02 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Most of the time if I can avoid using BBQ sauce, I do. In my house, my wife likes a lot of sauce, and I'm just the opposite. I do enjoy it at times, but not heavy and gooey. :?

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:46 am
chagan well done
well done

One can always go for a dry rub while cooking, and serve the sauce on the side- this way everyone can control how much/little sauce they want. This is the more popular method in some areas of the country.

No, it ain't burnt- it's barbecue

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:35 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I've found that a good dry rub can exponentially improve the quality of even a ho-hum bottled sauce.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:22 pm
Airfoils well done
well done

I think it depends on your definition of what a commercial sauce is. I have no interest in Kraft or KC Masterpiece but I would have interest in someone like dkirn's when he comes out with his and gets into 'production'. At BBQ events you can always find a lot of unique sauces and rubs and I'm not opposed to sampling those as I'm always looking to expand my pallette and knowledge of what's possible. The sauces you find at those are IMHO handcrafted even though they have a proper bvottle and label and are being retailed. I guess for me the line between handcrafted and commerical is more vague for me than some of you.

This BBQ sauce of the month outfit has this to say on their site: "Receive two different BBQ sauces every four weeks from small batch, hard-to-find chefs and restaurants from California to Carolina and Texas to New York."

Sounds like it's an ok gamble to me although I'm not a huge BBQ sauce guy, but if BBQ sauce is your thing than I say it looks like an ok deal to me. Give it a whirl! 8)

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:34 pm
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

Airfoils you've brought up a good point. When someone mentions a "bottled" barbecue sauce I tend to think of a conglomerated corporation, which has never been near a ‘pit’, mass producing a store bought, thick reddish sauce aimed to please the mild palate of masses that have never enjoyed slow smoking genuine BBQ and have no idea how the perfect blend of spice and smoke excite the buds.

A sauce from a professional pit master that complements the essence of his magnum opus is another story. I’ve never heard of the sauces they offer but if they are made by up-and-coming chefs like Dave (dkirn) then I am sure most of them are worth trying. As I’ve mentioned before, I like variety when it comes to food so I would be pleased with the tasteful adventure.

I’ll still stay away from the thick, glossy, overly sweet, so-called BBQ sauces.
:wink:

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:42 pm
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Bob you are truely eloquent on the subject. Any man who can refer to another mans bbq as his "magnum opus" is alright in my book.!!

You and Airfoils made me think abou the topic differently. Maybe I'll try some of the "small batch" sauces. As for the sauce of the month, the more I think about it far be it for me to turn down any gift especially if it means more time on the grill.

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:23 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I agree with everyone about a small company or chef that bottles their own sauce - I enjoy them for their differnt flavors and it gives me new ideas to try for my sauces. The only problem that I find is that once someone starts selling their sauce they end up have a commercial kitchen prepare and bottle their sauce for them and never even taste the product let alone make it themselves. I think this is one of the reasons that so many people have asked me to bottle my sauces. I will be making only small batches (all made by me and sampled for quality control!) so that perservatives do not need to be added for along shelf and warehouse life.

I appreciate all of the support of those who said they would be interested in trying some of my sauces when I start bottling. I will post some info and a website when I have everything running so that you guys and give me some feedback!

Next

Return to General Discussion