Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Steak!

June's Online Block Party - Steak!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
christinebbqb wrote:
I'll be putting your pics from the online block party on the [url]BarbecueBible.com[/url] homepage. Beercuer, I just posted yours!

Most grateful, honored, and humbled! :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:26 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
Back with another offering. Those of you who belong to the Secret Steak Society know that chuck eye steak is arguably more tender, more flavorful, and considerably less expensive than filet mignon. That's what I bring to the pit and the table this time.

I opted for my favorite go to marinade--a light olive oil coat and balsamic vinegar. Ordinarily, I'm a basic S & P kind of guy, but felt the desire to go dressier this time. I included miinced garlic and rosemary for further seasoning.

Image

Onto the hot, hot grill it goes. You should be able to see the smoke of mesquite rising up into the air. Man, that smells goood!--As does the aroma of the cooking garlic, coarse pepper, and rosemary filling the neighborhood. Now that's a must have for a block party! (And time for a shot of beer).

Image

Well, I started with pretty grill marks, but I did not finish with them. I heard that nice sizzle when I first put this chuck eye on to sear.

Image

Alright Friends, let's plate this up. This time I followed the spirit of CG and Wolfpack with alternative dinnerware. So, what goes good with steak? How about a side of baked potato with cream and chives, chili beans, and steamed broccoli?

Image

And finally for your macro shot, revealing the interior. Actually, this steak is cooked less than it appears. It got to rest perhaps a little longer than I perhaps could have let it to get that red in the pic for you. I wish you could try eating it though. It did not suffer for want of flavor and tenderness!
:cheers: :bbq:

Image
Got beer???

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 am
QJuju well done
well done

Posts: 1918
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

That is one fine steak BC... The bar just got raised boys and girls! :D :bbq:
Image

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5865
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
beercuer wrote:
Back with another offering. Those of you who belong to the Secret Steak Society know that chuck eye steak is arguably more tender, more flavorful, and considerably less expensive than filet mignon. That's what I bring to the pit and the table this time.


Great looking steak, BC! Another name for chuck-eye steaks according to my butcher is "cross-rib steaks). I've tried them under both names and he seems to be correct. :cheers:

But beercuer, you let out the secret about chuck-eye steaks! Be careful or the Secret Steak Society might come over and take away your membership. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:47 am
Heebzman medium
medium

Posts: 157
Location: Milwaukee, WI
My wife and I are chuck eye fanatics, and I am always afraid that the word will get out on these and the prices will go higher. But for the last few years prices have remained steady. Sooooo tender and tasty, my second favorite steak right next to rib-eyes, and less than half the price !!! :D
Two 18.5 WSM's...the Twins ! / Performer / Q200

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:32 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Posts: 1303
Location: MadCity, WI

Chuck-eye steaks have gone up alot around here in the past 3 years, use to be $2.99 or so per pound, now $5.99 average :(

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5865
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Trollby wrote:
Chuck-eye steaks have gone up alot around here in the past 3 years, use to be $2.99 or so per pound, now $5.99 average :(


The same thing happened to flank steaks, skirt steaks (in some regions), and chicken wings. As soon as some new thing comes out, the greedy butchers double or triple the price. Flank steak and wings used to be very inexpensive until all the cooking shows started flogging them. :evil:

So let's start a craze for some cut of meat that very few people like - sort of a distraction. That way the prices on the meat we like would drop, and the mindless, crazed, hipster foodies would all spend their cash on the cuts we just don't care about. I could see a big craze for beef shanks, oxtail or eye of round going well. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:36 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7500
Location: Stoughton, WI
CharredGriller wrote:
So let's start a craze for some cut of meat that very few people like - sort of a distraction. That way the prices on the meat we like would drop, and the mindless, crazed, hipster foodies would all spend their cash on the cuts we just don't care about. I could see a big craze for beef shanks, oxtail or eye of round going well. :twisted:
Good idea! It'd be nice to see some of the cuts touted as "affordable" actually be affordable again! :lol:

Beercuer, that's a terrific chuck eye! I've tried the balsamic marinade before - based on one of your posts, I think - and it really adds a nice flavor.

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:08 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
Thank you fine gentlemen! That was a fun one.

CharredGriller wrote:
Great looking steak, BC! Another name for chuck-eye steaks according to my butcher is "cross-rib steaks). I've tried them under both names and he seems to be correct. :cheers:

But beercuer, you let out the secret about chuck-eye steaks! Be careful or the Secret Steak Society might come over and take away your membership. :twisted:

Most interesting, CG. In my parts, they make a distinction, and the meat appears to be different. The cross-ribs here remind me very much in texture and experience to a tritip.

Doh! I did boo-boo, didn't I? Did not think that one through well enough.

Heebzman wrote:
My wife and I are chuck eye fanatics, and I am always afraid that the word will get out on these and the prices will go higher. But for the last few years prices have remained steady. Sooooo tender and tasty, my second favorite steak right next to rib-eyes, and less than half the price !!!


Roger that, and especially now since the price of all beef has rocketed. Reminds me of the old movie "Soylent Green."

Trolby wrote:
Chuck-eye steaks have gone up alot around here in the past 3 years, use to be $2.99 or so per pound, now $5.99 average

Ouch! I should consider myself lucky for getting mine at $4.49/lb.

CG wrote:
The same thing happened to flank steaks, skirt steaks (in some regions), and chicken wings. As soon as some new thing comes out, the greedy butchers double or triple the price. Flank steak and wings used to be very inexpensive until all the cooking shows started flogging them.

So let's start a craze for some cut of meat that very few people like - sort of a distraction. That way the prices on the meat we like would drop, and the mindless, crazed, hipster foodies would all spend their cash on the cuts we just don't care about. I could see a big craze for beef shanks, oxtail or eye of round going well.

How about it? Wings for example at $3/lb?-- for what?-- they should be made out of lobster or King crabs. A distraction yes... I'll try to make reparation for my boo boo by trying to do something with one of these other cuts here in this steak thread, in the wild hope of making a start. What do you all suggest, a shank, round eye, or other (oxtail would be hard for me to find). ?

SC wrote:
Good idea! It'd be nice to see some of the cuts touted as "affordable" actually be affordable again!

Beercuer, that's a terrific chuck eye! I've tried the balsamic marinade before - based on one of your posts, I think - and it really adds a nice flavor.

I know! The price of London Broil has literally doubled within the past two years around here. Might as well try some of these other cuts like round eye and shank more often!

Most glad you enjoyed the marinade, Brad. I believe I learned that from a movie somewheres, of all things. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5865
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
BC - no worries. Chuck-eye steaks have been a not-so-well-kept secret after all. I first read about them on this forum over 10 years ago, so the secret's been out for a while. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:37 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
CharredGriller wrote:
BC - no worries. Chuck-eye steaks have been a not-so-well-kept secret after all. I first read about them on this forum over 10 years ago, so the secret's been out for a while. :D


Thanks CG. That's a relief.
Got beer???

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:55 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Posts: 3712
Location: Lexington, SC
Wow, lots of great stuff here so far! Thought I'd join in the fun and post these up. We've done Cheese Steak Calzones before, but they were so good we had to do them again! Here is the more detailed post from when I did them the first time: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... =2&t=24355

The Flat Iron Steak was seasoned with Truffled Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper:

Image

The Calzones got assembled with Mozzarella, Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions, and the Blue Cheese and Wine Sauce:

Image

And the finished Calzones got sprinkled with a little more Truffled Sea Salt:

Image
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Image

Post Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
Once again, rather masterful calzones there, my firend.! I really like your combination of ingredients. And what's not to :heart: about flat iron steak?! Image
Got beer???

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:29 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7500
Location: Stoughton, WI
Dyal, the calzones look just as good the second time around!

After all, summer is the season for re-runs... :wink:

Post Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Posts: 2287
Location: Southern Californy
Dear Friends,

Please know that one does not have to post pics to participate in this thread. The idea here is to be a local watering hole, if you will, to come together and chew the cud, and this month about beefsteaks. How about ideas, observations, experiences? This forum is only as good as we make it. Doesn't that include participation/interaction? Excuse me, let the party resume... . Image :bbq:
Got beer???

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

cron