Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion June's Online Block Party - Steak!

June's Online Block Party - Steak!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Hello all!

Welcome to our first "Online Block Party"! This month's selection is.... steak, whether it's rib-eye, t-bone, striploin, filet mignon,hanger, skirt, chuck-eye, sirloin, or something else.

So - it's time to fire up the grill and show us your skill! This party is going on all through the month of June, so feel free to post as many cooks as you like in this thread. We're all looking forward to seeing the killer grill marks on your favorite creations!
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Hello all!

Welcome to our first "Online Block Party"! This month's selection is.... steak, whether it's rib-eye, t-bone, striploin, filet mignon,hanger, skirt, chuck-eye, sirloin, or something else.

So - it's time to fire up the grill and show us your skill! This party is going on all through the month of June, so feel free to post as many cooks as you like in this thread. We're all looking forward to seeing the killer grill marks on your favorite creations!

Funtastic! Drinks are over here, Friends Image
And please let no one be shy-- This is a party and not a competition. You know, I grilled an Hawaiian burger the other day and made a big boo-boo with it. I posted it anyway, because it was fun, and still great eats.

I for one also look forward to shaing our tips, methods, tricks, techniques, even recipes. Learn and have fun both, just like our own street. I hope to get my first offering out by late tomorrow night. :bbq:

And thank you especially Steven, Christine, & CharredGriller for making this come to fruition. :D
Got beer???

Post Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Glad we could get the ball rolliing!

Oh - and one thing, folks. Please post after 12:00:01 AM June 1st. Otherwise you're too early for the party... :lol:
(My first steak will take that long to defrost anyway.)

I'm really looking forward to all your posts. Steak has always been at the top of my list and there are so many ways to do it right that I figure that the board is going to creak under the weight of all the posts in this thread. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:53 pm
KJUNQUE rare
rare

I love the idea of a block party, and I think steaks is a great way to kick things off. I guess its time to visit the market and see what I can find. :wink:
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:52 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

KJUNQUE wrote:
I love the idea of a block party, and I think steaks is a great way to kick things off. I guess its time to visit the market and see what I can find. :wink:

I do like your spirit, KJ, and I am so looking forward to see! Let's set our pits together. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:37 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Okay,here we go!!!

My hope is that you will not regard this opener as a missteak, if you will. I start with a steak, a London Broil cut of top round. I'm just cooking it a little differently. I wish to present you all with a little appetizer while you get your own pits set up and fired.

I'm going Hawaiian style on this one. I learned of this magnificent treat from a couple native friends, and oh, looking back am I ever embarrassed by how I made such a pig of myself. :oops: :lol: First let me share with you the one simple ingredient you will want if you ever wish to do this yourself. It's the Kona Coast Island Teriyaki glaze. (If you can't locate that, try the Kikkoman teriyaki glaze and add a spoonful of sugar and some sesame seeds).

Now were ready. Let's thinly slice a hunk of London Broil (or what have you), into strips, oh, about 1/8 inches thick:

We want to go low and slow with this, which is still pretty quick anyway. So, time to use the side fire box, and keep the direct heat far away from these little treats.

Here we flip 'em over and you can see them cooking along with a coconut (In case you don't know, heating a nut makes it much more user friendly to extract the fruit).

What do you say we get some of that lovely sweet glaze on there?

And I present to you a little appetizer friends.

But before all is said and done, let me share with you how I plated my dinner and ate. Hopefully you can make out a bed of pineapple, topped with the coconut and my red coconut rice (made small batch incorporating the coconut milk), and the sweet steak strips. Now I'm ready to visit with you at your pits before I make another steak-- Long party everyone. Aloha! :cheers: :bbq:

Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great way to get things started, BC! They're kind of like satays without the skewers!

So by default is this month's party about beef steaks? Or do pork and other kinds of steaks qualify as well?

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:45 am
KJUNQUE rare
rare

Hey BC great way to kick things off. I really like sirloin it's also works well as shish kabobs. I love how the sesame seeds added an interesting texture component to the glaze. Do they change the flavor much? The rest of the meal looks great also. Nice photos.
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:32 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks guys!

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Great way to get things started, BC! They're kind of like satays without the skewers!

So by default is this month's party about beef steaks? Or do pork and other kinds of steaks qualify as well?

Excellent question indeed, Brad. Steven never specified, and it seems like CG intended beefsteaks, but he also said "something else." Certainly though, there are fish steaks, pork steaks, tube steaks... . I guess I should let him field this one though.

KJ wrote:
Hey BC great way to kick things off. I really like sirloin it's also works well as shish kabobs. I love how the sesame seeds added an interesting texture component to the glaze. Do they change the flavor much? The rest of the meal looks great also. Nice photos.

I find the sesame seeds really take it up a few notches and complete it. I would say that the flavor change is subtle but quite significant. The closest thing to which I can liken it is you know how it is when you salt a food so much, yet the flavor is not quite there, and just a few more grains makes it perfect?-- similar kind of thing. And it sure does wonders for texture and appearance. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Rib-eye seasoned only with s+p cooked with mushroom and onion sauted in butter and thyme .

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:07 pm
KJUNQUE rare
rare

Wow nice looking plate Kitchenangel.
My Friends Call Me KJ.

Cajun Grill
WSM 22.5
Homemade UDS
Crown Verity Gas Grill
Sausage Maker Smokehouse

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Ta.

I'm afraid the mushroom shot is a bit out of focus as mummy has been at the vino collapso. Again. :roll: :lol:

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Yowzer, BC!! That appetiser looks lush. Am loving the look of the rice, too... *drool*

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:07 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Kitchenangel wrote:
Yowzer, BC!! That appetiser looks lush. Am loving the look of the rice, too... *drool*

Thank you and likewise, Angela! You have some magnificent coloring going on. Image

What kind of wines do you like? I tend to favor a fine Chianti or Burgundy, or a Pinot Noir. I bet your meal was a real delight! :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm

I would have to say that the household regular here, is a NZ Sauvignon Blanc. I do like a nice red, but not if I'm outside!

Next

Return to General Discussion