Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Grill Covers...are they worth it.

Grill Covers...are they worth it.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:39 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I have a very nice custom cover over my grill, I wanted to protect my investment/baby. But now as the weather turns its a pain in the butt to take on and off. However my thought is that this is the time of year that its needed most. To do it quickly it almost takes 2 people otherwise it get hung up or doesn't go straight and is just quickly becoming a pain. I have a Weber Summit D stainless and the question I'm now asking myself is...Is the cover really necessary? Does everyone use a cover, if not what has been you experience? Does anyone have any ideas or opinions??

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:45 am
hickory pete well done
well done

All of my grills have covers. I bought mine the same day I purchased the grill. It not only protects the investment, but it keeps the junk, like sand, from getting in during those windy days. My covers are the standard type that have a draw string and pretty much cover the entire grill. Nothing expensive, just the cheap type from Wal-Mart. I wouldn't have a grill without a cover, especially in the winter months.

Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:14 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

My grill sits under a covered patio. I don't have to worry much about the elements since it's dry most of the time. It does get dusty on the outside from windy days and dry conditions but an inexpensive charcoal grill won't be damaged by a dusting. Since it is a fairly light weight grill I believe that if I had a nice cover, it would catch the wind and blow over causing damage instead of protecting it.

In my opinion a grill cover on a nice gas rig is a wise investment but not so for my situation.

Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:58 pm
hickory pete well done
well done

I've always had covers on my grills. One thing for sure, the flimsy elastic ties that came with them does not do much for securing the cover. I usually have to use bungee cords to make sure it doesn't wind up in the neighbors yard.

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:11 am
ThrRoff well done
well done

Covers..........I certainly use them.....in our weather in the Midatlantic.....

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:12 am
Grand Scale BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

So I guess the answer is that for as much as a pain in the but it is I should still use it. Thats what I thought. Thanks.
Roff we still have to get you grilling in this weather. You're not that far from me (1 1/2 hr) and if I can do it anybody can!!

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:57 am
hickory pete well done
well done

Thanks ThrRoff for the picture..That's one of the reasons I use a grill cover. It hasn't happened yet, but I know the snow will be here sooner or later. For sure, you don't have to worry about the cover blowing away with all that snow on it. Hope you are able to start grilling real soon.

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:54 am
Bob-BQN User avatar
well done
well done

You know...it's all coming back to me now. That photo, it brought back those repressed memories of when, as a child in misery, I mean Missouri, I had to go out and shovel that stuff. Now I remember why I flew south.

Post Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:59 pm
ThrRoff well done
well done

Grand Scale,

I do grill and smoke most of the year. My cut off is about 40 degrees. Below that the charcoal and wood fired stuff just doesn't cut it for proper cooking, Not to mention the comfort of the chef.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:24 am
Luke medium-rare
medium-rare

One must never forget the true enemy of the grill cover... two seventy pound labs. Mine are all torn up. But I still use them. Have to cover with brick (I really like bricks) or the texas wind will send them flying. Also It is messy to cook for a few days after rain.
Live Different

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:06 pm
MaxDog rare
rare

Aww come on you guys. I grew up in Maine (you know, that part of Canada where the Gulf Coast winter spends its summer vacation). I remember digging a path through 3 feet of snow so Dad could light up the hibachi for London Broil. Eventually he figured out he could grill steaks over the coals in our wood stove, so I only had to dig out to the wood shed after that. The only trouble with winter was you had to bake beans in the stove and not in the bean hole.

As for covers -- I believe in 'em. I nursed a Thermos grill through six years of year round grilling here in Springpatch Illinois with one. Actually, two -- the first cover was pretty light weight and blew away one blustery day. I had to replace the burners only twice on that grill and the ignitor I never replaced (that is when it crapped out after a year, I didn't bother to replace it) But the grilled worked (note lack of postive qualification) But keeping it as dry as possible I think is the key to stopping corrosion. So -- if ya wanna keep 'em long, keep 'em covered.
How lovely it is to do nothing and then rest afterwards

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:39 pm
PaulP well done
well done

I think tyour problem is the "custom cover" part. Sounds like it's so well-fitted that it's hard to get on and off. Save your money and agrivation and go buy one from Wal Mart. They cost about $20, are heavy plastic, and come in sizes to fit all but the largest grills. I've been using one for 3 years and it's still going strong.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:33 pm
dkirn well done
well done

I have covers for all of my outdoor cookers (even my new smoking rig). For my grill (which is what is used most often) I have a cover that is made by the manufacturer specifically for my grill. It is tight fitting but still easy enough to get on and off. Both sides have velcro straps to sinch the bottom tighter.

Post Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:21 pm
PaulP well done
well done

BTW...I never use the funky little straps they put on the covers. My cover survived hurricane Isabel just hanging there even though a huge oak tree was blown over in my yard. When I lived in Florida, I stopped using a cover on my cheapie Char Beroil after a routine thunderstorm (45 mph winds) used the cover as a sail and blew the grill, with wheels locked, all the way across the patio and into the grass where it overturned. Good thing it did or I would have had to fish it out of the pond.

PaulP
PaulP
If you don't like the food, have more wine

Post Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:45 am
hickory pete well done
well done

ThrRoff,

That picture you posted sure says alot about what's to come this season. Are there any easy to follow step by step procedures for posting pictures?

Next

Return to General Discussion