Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Easily amused!

Easily amused!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:58 pm

Bought this meat injector ages ago, but completely forgot about it. I have now given these thighs a wee boost of Stubbs and covered with a quick rub I threw together. Most fun I've had in ages!!! (Should've been a nurse! Lol)

Served with salad and jersey royal potatoes. These have just come into season, they have a very short appearance on our shelves, they can only be grown in Jersey which is a very small channel island between England and France. I serve them with butter and mint.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Those look great, KA! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Wow, Stubbs in the UK. What a small world. Nice work KA!
36" Argentine Grill
WSM 22.5, Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber Performer
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Fri May 31, 2013 1:30 am
christinebbqb medium-rare
medium-rare

Nice stainless steel injector and that looks like one great dinner!

Post Fri May 31, 2013 5:59 am
QJuju well done
well done

Yes that is a nice injector. I have not been a fan of injecting because most of them are not very durable. The chicken looks tasty and it was a very colorful plate too! I'd be more than amused if that was my dinner. :wink:

Post Fri May 31, 2013 8:28 am
sroach well done
well done

+2 on the injector, that is much nicer then my plastic one.

And I 100% agree on how nice that plate looks.

Post Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

scorched_porch wrote:
Wow, Stubbs in the UK. What a small world. Nice work KA!
Look at the size of the bottle, too...looks like it might be bigger than the ones I see in the stores here.

Post Fri May 31, 2013 12:28 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
+2 on the injector, that is much nicer then my plastic one.

And I 100% agree on how nice that plate looks.

No kidding! I need to shop around for an injector like that!

Here is my current injector after only 2 uses. The body cracked for no apparent reason and I wasn't going to even waste the $0.25 worth of epoxy to fix it:

This is the last known pic of this injector. 30 seconds after it was taken, the injector mysteriously "disappeared". If you know the whereabouts of this injector, please don't bother contacting anyone. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks!!

The injector is from Lakeland an online uk kitchen store. I bought so much at their flagship shop last summer whilst on holiday, that my parents had to cart home a lot of our luggage in their car :D :D :D

The Stubbs bottles are HUGE. I found them in Costco. I may actually have screamed a little at finding them as I haven't seen Stubbs stocked in at supermarkets for years now. I have about 8 bottles squirrelled away as the best before date is 2016. Last year costco stocked Cattleman's classic, but I much prefer this :lol:

Post Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Kitchenangel wrote:
Thanks!!

The injector is from Lakeland an online uk kitchen store. I bought so much at their flagship shop last summer whilst on holiday, that my parents had to cart home a lot of our luggage in their car :D :D :D

The Stubbs bottles are HUGE. I found them in Costco. I may actually have screamed a little at finding them as I haven't seen Stubbs stocked in at supermarkets for years now. I have about 8 bottles squirrelled away as the best before date is 2016. Last year costco stocked Cattleman's classic, but I much prefer this :lol:

I'd take Stubbs over Cattleman's any day. I'm not a big fan of Cattlemans as my folks bought a giant bottle of it last year and poured it on everything till we got sick of it altogether. But I rank Stubbs in about the same catergory as Tony Roma's, Kraft, or Heinz barbecue sauces - which is to say they're OK for a general purpose sauce but still fairly ordinary. I use all of the above for "doctor" sauces, though - they're a good base to make your own sauces from.

Where I really have a lot of fun is making batches of sauces from Steven's books and then canning them. Since most homemade sauces have a lot of vinegar or other acidity they can usually be canned in a boiling-water bath instead of a pressure canner. It's great to spend a couple of hour in the afternoon cooking 4 or 5 batches of sauce, and then storing them up for later months, too. (One big tip - if you can find the canning jars with the glass lids and a rubber washer, they last longer than the metal jar lids, which can corrode because of the acidity.)

As for that injector, I changed my mind as I happened to find a spare tube of epoxy. I tried filling the cracks so we'll see if I can fix it well enough until I find a better one like yours. :D

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:30 am

I would be quite keen to learn how to 'can' homemade sauces. Many moons ago, I would always have made my own bbq sauce. I really must get back to doing that.

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:09 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Kitchenangel wrote:
I would be quite keen to learn how to 'can' homemade sauces. Many moons ago, I would always have made my own bbq sauce. I really must get back to doing that.

It's actually very easy. Almost all barbecue sauces have sufficient acidity that they just take 20-25 minutes of processing in a boiling water bath. Some sauces may need a pressure canner, but I haven't run across one yet. Check some websites on canning to be sure - I like this one:
http://www.bernardin.ca/

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:32 pm
sroach well done
well done

CharredGriller wrote:
Here is my current injector after only 2 uses. The body cracked for no apparent reason and I wasn't going to even waste the $0.25 worth of epoxy to fix it:

I have the same exact injector, so this is what I am in for... huh?

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 am
QJuju well done
well done

sroach wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

+1 My last attempt to use an injector.

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:18 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

QJuju wrote:
sroach wrote:
CharredGriller wrote:

+1 My last attempt to use an injector.

It was so weird, too! I used it quite gently and washed it in very warm but not scalding hot water. Then I looked at it on the drying rack and it had cracked.

I broke down and used the 5-minute epoxy on Friday and tried sealing it. I used an old woodworking trick, which was to coat the the cracks on the outside of the syringe with epoxy and then pull back the plunger. The vacuum created looks like it sucked the epoxy right into the cracks just enough to seal the thing without leaking into the inner syringe.

So it now looks ugly as sin, but it works again. :twisted:

Next

Return to General Discussion