Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

Your Favorite Beer for the Pit?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Beast, I forget what part of Illinois you're in but if you're close to Chicago you might be able to find Sprecher root beer - highly recommended! Gray's (Janesville) and Point (Stevens Point) also make very good versions.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 12:59 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Been really busy with work so have not been on forums much.

My favorite beer is what ever I currently have made or have in stock from my Home brew collection.

Right now I have a Honey Maibock, Diablo IPA, English nut brown and Blueberry Pomegranate Mead for my grilling drinks

Post Wed May 29, 2013 6:44 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Trollby wrote:
Been really busy with work so have not been on forums much.

My favorite beer is what ever I currently have made or have in stock from my Home brew collection.

Right now I have a Honey Maibock, Diablo IPA, English nut brown and Blueberry Pomegranate Mead for my grilling drinks

Great to see you back, Trollby! :cheers:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

Great topic. Not sure how i missed it. I've been known to brew beer, but have not in a while (4 years? :oops: ). Stepping up my all grain system to do 10 gallon batches. Just need the time to weld together a brew stand.

Many brews have peaked my fancy

Bear Republic Racer5 is probably my all time favorite brew. This is a must drink for any IPA fan
Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye. Rye IPAs are fantastic. If you are a home brewer, you need to brew Denny's Rye IPA
Anchor Steam
Anchor Liberty
Anything from Speakeasy is usually very good
Pliny the Elder will knock your socks off and is the best DIPA I have ever had
Anderson Valley Boont Amber
Mendocino has a great selection of ales
Moylans Kilt Lifter
Gordon Biersch Marzen
Firestone Walker has great beers. Try the Wookey Jack Black IPA

the list is long... this is the short version

Post Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks for the input fellas. A side not about the root beer... to think we were just talking about the A & W brand, which I always enjoyed, but my favorite used to be the Shasta "Draft." Remember that? In the 60's, there used to be really entertaining TV commercials.

Ah,... finally getting around to posting this Primo Bombucha, labeled an Island Lager, suggestive of Hawaii. If I understand correctly, Primo has some kind of association with Pabst. No indication of alcohol percentage on the bottle. I found it to be light and crisp and very drinkable for the really hot days. Apparently, it had more kick than I recognized at the time, as it seemed to effect my cookout the other day. :lol:

Got beer???

Post Thu May 30, 2013 9:21 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

:cheers: Beercuer you have been on a mission finding new brew. I did a search on that beer it is from the Pabst brewing company it is 4.6 ABV. From my research this is the recomended food pairings for that beer. Cuisine (Barbecue, Indian, Latin American, Thai, Pan Asian) Cheese (peppery; Monterey / Pepper Jack)
:bbq:

Post Thu May 30, 2013 10:43 am
Jackalope well done
well done

Good call, Wiseguy....I also am a Fat tire fan. Like it with lamb. Guinness is my old-time staple for the heavy-duty beef and venison stuff. There's a craft place here in town called "Light the Lamp Brewery"...I'm fantasizing of crafting something called either "Angry Birds" or "Grumpy Cat" (If I could only get past the copyright infringements) but, sigh, it will remain a fantasy... :(

Post Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jackie, I picked up the pale ale from 2 Brothers (Warrenville) when I was in the Chicago area over the weekend. It's pretty good; light and without too much bitterness (30 IBU) or alcohol (5.2% IIRC), which made it fine for grilling.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:02 am
Jackalope well done
well done

Thanks Brad - I have a good friend living in Wheaton nearby who comes up on weekends for my cooking, and the name sounds familiar; I'll get him to pick up some for me for a grilling weekend marathon...it's just too dratted hot and humid down here to even look at the stove, or anything in my kitchen other than the fridge! :shock:

Post Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 am
Trollby well done
well done

If you want to start brewing the easiest way is if you have a "Turkey Fryer" or a Propane burner stand (not a side burner).

You get a pot for brewing and outside Smoking Ribs and making beer :)

I got this one awhile back for pretty cheap and has the spigot for emptying to the carboy

Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:38 pm
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Trollby do you have the brand name and store that sells that turkey fryer? I am planning to buy a fryer for brewing. Image

Post Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

This isn't the Same as Tobys, but to give you an idea

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-S ... /10211714/

Post Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 pm
Trollby well done
well done

wiseguy wrote:
Trollby do you have the brand name and store that sells that turkey fryer? I am planning to buy a fryer for brewing. Image

Mine is not Stainless but works well, I paid something like $38 for it at Menard's after MIR, but Menard's MIR is store credit not cash back

Brand was "Saf-T-Cooker"

Post Thu May 30, 2013 1:42 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I should add right now is Maibock time, so this year I made a new recipe I am trying to "tweak". Because of this I did a small batches to keep retrying

Honey Maibock - BIAB

Post Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 pm
Wolfpackbbq well done
well done

A couple pics of my newly converter kegs. One of my customers worked for a beer distribution company and the kegs were damaged and not usable to brewery. They are usable for me! It cost me a 12 pack of Racer and a 12 pack of homebrew once I get set up.

My 5 gallon pot (actually 7.5-8 but you need extra space for brewing 5 gallons) with 10 gallon coolers. I will retain one of the coolers as a Mash Tun. The converted kegs will be a Boil Kettle and Hot Liquor Tank

Last edited by Wolfpackbbq on Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion