Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion German Style Meatloaf

German Style Meatloaf

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:08 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Got to cue another meatloaf on Sunday, and this one I opted to go German style. I was most looking forward to trying out a mustard that was new to me (which I posted in Qjuju's mustard thread), and duplicate here. It is French's Horseradish Mustard. All thumbs up by the way for me.

Some of the ingredients that went into this loaf include ground pork, chopped onion, lotsa sauerkraut, beef knockwurst (yes indeed), Bavarian rye breadcrumbs, caraway seeds, celery seed, Worcestershire, eggs, black pepper, etc. Took it to the pit to go indirect under the nuance of mesquite smoke.

And here is the finished creature:

And here she be plated with my ham colored parboiled potatoes and brussels sprouts, with that mustard for dippin'.

A little bit closer look...

And..., we must not forget the leftover sammich I made with the mustard again, of coarse, but piling on the Monterrey Pepper Jack cheese, sliced tomatoes, and more sauerkraut, on a Bavarian rye bread.

Oh yeah, I'm ready for Octoberfest with this one! :D :cheers:

Got beer???

Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice loaf! How well could you taste the caraway seeds? They're a favorite of mine but I've never used them outside of rye bread.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 am
QJuju well done
well done

You had me at the mustard, but the meatloaf looks really tasty. I like the rye bread dealio... I bet that added a lot of flavor.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 9:02 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Nice loaf! How well could you taste the caraway seeds? They're a favorite of mine but I've never used them outside of rye bread.

Thank you kindly, Brad :D

I'd say the flavor was there, but maybe a little more mild than what one would expect. I put in two teaspoons. Of course, the more one adds, the more noticeable the flavor becomes. They are a most wonderful additon to loaf I find.

Qjuju wrote:
You had me at the mustard, but the meatloaf looks really tasty. I like the rye bread dealio... I bet that added a lot of flavor.

And thank you, Qjuju :D Yes, the rye gave the loaf a personality that was nicely different from other loaves. And that's one of the things I really appreciate about loaf ishow it can be used to create styled recipes from all around the world. :lol:
Got beer???

Post Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 am
sroach well done
well done

BC,

That's a nice looking meatloaf you got there, I hope you washed it down with a stein of beer. :cheers:

Post Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice meatloaf, BC, and great choice on the mustard. I bought a new bottle of the stuff after the last post on that mustard thread you mentioned.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

sroach wrote:
BC,

That's a nice looking meatloaf you got there, I hope you washed it down with a stein of beer. :cheers:

Say, thanks Steve :D I must admit to enjoying it very much. I'm thinking for the next one going a bit toward the Italian style, kind of life a "pizza loaf" if you will, with muschrooms, olives, bellpeppers and what have ya, and top with cheese and pizza sauce.. And yep, you bet... I even had a craft beer (or two) with which to wash it down.

Canada wrote:
Nice meatloaf, BC, and great choice on the mustard. I bought a new bottle of the stuff after the last post on that mustard thread you mentioned.

And thank you, Canada. :D That's great news about the mustard. I'm so looking forward to trying it out on other things, too. First up may very well be some of them smoked pork chops! :D
Got beer???

Post Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 am
sroach well done
well done

BC, Italian style sounds good, but you lost me with the mushrooms.. YUCK!

Post Thu May 30, 2013 9:59 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

What a cool idea! How about taking smoked meatloaf around the world? Mexican style, Jamaican, Italian, Greek, Chinese, Thai. Indian? Whoops--no beef allowed, but why not lamb?

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:00 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Steven wrote:
What a cool idea! How about taking smoked meatloaf around the world? Mexican style, Jamaican, Italian, Greek, Chinese, Thai. Indian? Whoops--no beef allowed, but why not lamb?

Thanks, Steven! Not a baad idea with the lamb! :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:19 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's one of the nice things about mustard - heat reduces the bite. So when you cook with a lot of mustard you get the taste, but the heat mellows down. Not so much with the horseradish, though- you still get some heat from that.

I had a brief fling with Indian cooking, and I used a lot of mustard oil. That stuff is really hot and pungent when it's raw, but the heat mellows it down to a rich, nutty flavor instead. I don't do much Indian cooking now as a lot of my guests don't like curry, but I still use the mustard oil for other things (including stray dog repellent). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion