Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Renaming the slider

Renaming the slider

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat May 25, 2013 2:06 pm
TheSauce raw
raw

One of the new favorites in grilling lately is to make sliders. The term "sliders" is used today to mean any type of miniature sandwich whether ground beef, chicken breast or fileted beef. But does anyone realize that the name "slider" was first used to described the tiny burgers at White Castle restaurants? The thing is, "sliders" was a durogatory term that referenced the effect White Castle's burgers had on some people's digestive system.
So if "sliders" means and has always meant something that makes someone sick, why are so many restaurants, chefs, etc. calling every small burger a slider? I think we need a new name for the small burger. I usually just call mine mini burgers but I wonder if anyone out there can come up with a better name that could be catchy enough to have universal appeal and not remind people who know about the real meaning of "slider".

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

TheSauce wrote:
One of the new favorites in grilling lately is to make sliders. The term "sliders" is used today to mean any type of miniature sandwich whether ground beef, chicken breast or fileted beef. But does anyone realize that the name "slider" was first used to described the tiny burgers at White Castle restaurants? The thing is, "sliders" was a durogatory term that referenced the effect White Castle's burgers had on some people's digestive system.
So if "sliders" means and has always meant something that makes someone sick, why are so many restaurants, chefs, etc. calling every small burger a slider? I think we need a new name for the small burger. I usually just call mine mini burgers but I wonder if anyone out there can come up with a better name that could be catchy enough to have universal appeal and not remind people who know about the real meaning of "slider".

I agree. The term "slider" has always had sort of a creepy, negative connotation about it and I wish someone would think up a better name. But "think" isn't normally in the dictionaries of marketing drones who would rather jump on a bandwagon than come up with something original.

Take "pulled pork", for example. In 2004 one single restaurant in my hometown served pulled pork, period. That was only on July 4th, too. I remember well because I spent 17 hours the previous day smoking and pulling it as a favor to the restaurant owner, and I had about 60 pounds of the stuff when I was done. (And that's also why I joined this board, actually.) :D

July 4th, 2004 was a nasty, rainy day so we only had about 20 people show up. The remainder of the pulled pork got served as a lunch special the next week, and the restaurant had a lineup around the corner all that week for takeout because it was just that good. (And thanks to all you members on this board who helped make it so, too!)

So what happened 2 weeks later? About 20 different restaurants started selling "pulled pork". Most of the stuff I tried was greasy, cardboardy, stringy braised-in-a-slow-cooker junk drowned in Bulls-Eye barbecue sauce.

The stuff was so awful that even 9 years later, if you mention "pulled pork" in Edmonton, Alberta a lot of folks will make a sick face accompanied with a gagging noise. :mrgreen:

So that's creativity for you - with most restaurants it just doesn't exist. And with the current "slider" craze the bandwagon's axles are ready to crack. :evil:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:57 am
QJuju well done
well done

Welcome aboard...

Around here the name slider isn't derogatory. We think it is about how easy they slide down... not out! :D

I like mini-burgers too... we could go with that.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:10 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

White Castle used to use the term "slyder" but now it appears they've switched to "slider". The story behind the name never really bothered me and I think everyone uses it now because it's so entrenched in general vocabulary.

I've heard small burgers described as "burger bites" by Hubert Keller on his "Secrets of a Chef" TV show.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I remember when the Jack in the Box chain always claimed their "Mini Sirloin Burgers," never referencing the term Slider. :D
Got beer???

Post Tue May 28, 2013 11:07 am
tex_toby well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
I remember when the Jack in the Box chain always claimed their "Mini Sirloin Burgers," never referencing the term Slider. :D

Funny commercial, too. :lol:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue May 28, 2013 11:22 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

tex_toby wrote:
beercuer wrote:

Funny commercial, too. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely! You know, I still miss that commercial, Toby. :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:04 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We have a burger chain up here called A&W - don't know if they have it in the US, though. Anyway, their line of burgers is the Teen Burger (bacon cheeseburger), The Mama Burger (single), the Papa Burger (double), the Grandpa Burger (triple), the Uncle Burger (sirloin) and so on.

They introduced a line of mini-hamburgers several months ago. They call 'em the "Buddy Burger". :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:53 pm
TheSauce raw
raw

The Spanish and Portuguese word for mouth is boca. "Little mouth" in Portuguese is Boquinha (bo-Keen-ya) and in Spanish it's Boquita (I think...) which sounds like "poquita" and (I think) that means "a little bit". Boquita would not be mainstream enough...so still no new name.

Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
We have a burger chain up here called A&W - don't know if they have it in the US, though. Anyway, their line of burgers is the Teen Burger (bacon cheeseburger), The Mama Burger (single), the Papa Burger (double), the Grandpa Burger (triple), the Uncle Burger (sirloin) and so on.
Sounds like the chain that was started in California over 90 years ago. I remember the burger "family" from the 1970s...

Post Wed May 29, 2013 8:43 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
Sounds like the chain that was started in California over 90 years ago. I remember the burger "family" from the 1970s...

Also famous for their delicious root beer :D
Got beer???

Post Wed May 29, 2013 10:47 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
ScreamingChicken wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

Also famous for their delicious root beer :D

Yes - that's them. A&W - also known as "Allen and Wright" when they're selling gourmet coffee. :D

Post Thu May 30, 2013 8:19 am
Griffin well done
well done

Canada - we have the A&W chain down here in Dallas as well. Haven't been to one in years, though. I believe they are owned by the same company as Long John Silvers.

Whoops....just looked it up. Yum used to own A&W, Long John Silvers, Taco Bell, Pizza Hutt and KFC, but sold A&W and Long Johns off back in 2011 to focus on the other 3.

Return to General Discussion