Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Jucy Lucy Night With The Son

Jucy Lucy Night With The Son

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon May 27, 2013 7:58 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Posts: 657
Location: Noblesville, IN

My wife and 2 youngest children took a road trip to Key West to see my Brother In Law get married (Could he have picked a more remote place, heck why not Cuba)

Anyhow, my son and I love Jucy Lucy's but I was at Bed Bath and Beyond and I saw a nice Stuffed Burger Press for 7 bucks so I figured I'd give it a shot...

Made 4 burgers a little more than 1/3 lb each. 3 stuffed with American Cheese and 1 with Bleu Cheese (I was not happy with the Bleu Cheese I bought)

Got the Egg preheated to about 400 and put them on after they were in the freezer for about 30 minutes

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

After about 14 minutes or so I would say they were ready and really didn't have much of a blow out at all. This press created such a great seal!!!! It really was worth the 7 bucks

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

I'm a plain person when it comes to stuff on my burger. Ketchup, mayo, pickle slice and that's it....Most of the time I'll put an onion on it but didn't have any

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

Here is where my disappointment lies...The bleu cheese just didn't melt and I don't know why. It was some Bleu Cheese made by Athnos maybe the Greek version of Bleu Cheese isn't all that good but that's what I get for sending my son over to the cheese department and telling him to get me it...

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

Well after the disappointment with the first one I had to try one of the american cheese ones....And wow this knocked my socks off, When I squeezed it to get the cheese for this picture juice just squirted out all over me....This was the best jucy lucy I've made and the press made my life so easy....Here is the MONEY SHOT

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

Burgers were fantastic and they weren't seasoned with anything else but S&P

Post Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 am
sroach well done
well done

Posts: 1160
Location: Warrington, PA
EddieK1376 wrote:

Well after the disappointment with the first one I had to try one of the american cheese ones....And wow this knocked my socks off, When I squeezed it to get the cheese for this picture juice just squirted out all over me....This was the best jucy lucy I've made and the press made my life so easy....Here is the MONEY SHOT

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

Burgers were fantastic and they weren't seasoned with anything else but S&P



You're not kidding, that is an awesome looking burger! Was it just sliced american cheese or a slice form a block?
Image
_________________
XL BGE
18.5 Kettle Gold
18.5 WSM

Post Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Posts: 657
Location: Noblesville, IN

sroach wrote:
EddieK1376 wrote:

Well after the disappointment with the first one I had to try one of the american cheese ones....And wow this knocked my socks off, When I squeezed it to get the cheese for this picture juice just squirted out all over me....This was the best jucy lucy I've made and the press made my life so easy....Here is the MONEY SHOT

Image
Jucy Lucy by EKomrska, on Flickr

Burgers were fantastic and they weren't seasoned with anything else but S&P



You're not kidding, that is an awesome looking burger! Was it just sliced american cheese or a slice form a block?


Thanks :) It was just regular american cheese

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:13 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Posts: 2638
Location: Northeastern MA

Hey Eddie! Great lookin' burgers there!!

The mothership has a stuffed burger press in the 2013 catalogue so I have been waiting to see if it shows up in the stores soon. I have been wanting a Juicy Lucy for a while now and your pictures don't help this. Several questions if I may: I don't know if BB&B has more than one burger press, but what brand/name was yours?

Also I was looking at your fire and I noticed it looked like there were some areas where you didn't have lit coals. This made me want to ask a question. I cook many things at 550-600 degrees, so I consider 350 to 400 to be a "low" temperature cook, and I struggle a bit with them. With the great insulation from the ceramic walls of the Egg it doesn't take a whole lot of lit coals to hit 400. So you end up with areas with lit coals and others with unlit. I know you use WGWW and with the big pieces of lump you really can't redistribute the lit coals to help even things out. So I am wondering how you deal with a 400 degree direct cook when you need to use most of your grill?

TIA
Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
Image
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:21 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Posts: 657
Location: Noblesville, IN

Hey bud! Here is the link I got http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/128 ... press.html I thought it was well worth the 7 bucks :)

When I light my coals I put 3 of those rutland fire starters right smack dab in the center of the fire, however, if I have to use more real estate I would just let the fire get bigger but can still maintain a temp of 400 by really choking down those vents....

The only things I cook at like 550 or higher are pizzas and steak...

Just as a side note this lump I used is the off brand of BGE that my ACE sells. Made by the same company that sells BGE but about 10 bucks cheaper a bag :) It's called Grill Mark....Good stuff :)

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 7453
Location: Stoughton, WI
Nice burgers, Eddie! :thumbup:

Some blue cheeses don't melt well inside burgers, so what you can do is stir the cheese into some melted butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until the consistency's smooth, chill the mixture until firm, and then cut into pieces for the burgers. I've done this before and it works pretty well.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

Posts: 277

A nice twist on the inside out cheeseburger!

Post Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 am
wiseguy User avatar
medium-well
medium-well

Posts: 229
Location: New Jersey
That looks great. I held off on buying a stuffed burger press because I assumed it didn't make a great seal. I know what I'm going to buy this weekend. Is this the press you bought? http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40568140
Image

Post Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Posts: 657
Location: Noblesville, IN

wiseguy wrote:
That looks great. I held off on buying a stuffed burger press because I assumed it didn't make a great seal. I know what I'm going to buy this weekend. Is this the press you bought? http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40568140


You betcha! For 7 bucks I figured it was worth a shot and the seal really is much better than I have been doing in the past...

Post Tue May 28, 2013 1:00 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Posts: 5839
Location: Central Alberta, Canada
Great looking burgers, Eddie. And you're right about the Greek version of blue cheese too - it's more like feta so it doesn't melt as well. Maytag blue, gorgonzola, roquefort, and Danish blue cheeses melt fairly well, though.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 28, 2013 2:21 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Posts: 1916
Location: Louisville, Kentucky

Nice burgers... the pic with the ketchup made me smile inside and you know I am a serious fan of meat and cheese! :bbq:
Image


Return to General Discussion