Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Thinking about buying a KitchenAid stand mixer. Opinions?

Thinking about buying a KitchenAid stand mixer. Opinions?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Seattle-Q well done
well done

I am debating buying a KitchenAid stand mixer. My biggest debate is how often I would use it compared to the price. I would mostly use it for making pizza dough and maybe buy the grinder attachment.

My question to you who do own a stand mixer is do you use it more often then you thought you would and are you happy with the investment?
Last edited by Seattle-Q on Wed May 29, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We have a KA 6QT mixer and use it a lot more than I thought we would.
I even use the "Bull's Horn" dough hook to pull pork.

Look and shop quite a bit.
They can be had for a decent price.
Tough to beat Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon though.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

lostarrow well done
well done

When my mother-law went to a small appt we inherited her 1950's model K45SS .
Still works perfectly .
My 32 y/o daughter cooks a lot & uses her 11 y/o 6 qt a lot.
This is one purchase that you can hand down to your kids.

New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

lostarrow wrote:
Still works perfectly .

Wow - does that mixer take all of the attachments as well?

Seattle-Q - I'm seriously looking into getting a KA mixer myself as they last a long time and are very versatile. However, getting one on sale is a very good idea as they're pricey.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

QJuju well done
well done

We have one, bright red model from about 5 years ago. When we baked we used it weekly. Great appliance and they are very durable as the others have said.

lostarrow well done
well done

Buy the professional 600 @ bed,bath& beyond with their 20% off coupon.
Runs about $360 before taxes
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

I have the artisan model. I use it maybe once or twice a month. I did bake a lot with it, but trouble is, I then end up eating most of said baking!! :shock:

Other than that, I might make bread a couple of times a year, use it for mashed potatoes and Yorkshire puddings.

Waaaay back when I lived in Singapore, had a cleaner and only one child to contend with, I really got into sausage making. The grinder and sausage stuffer are really great and I really must get back into this again.

Also. It looks good on the worktop! :D :D :D

YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
lostarrow wrote:
Still works perfectly .

Wow - does that mixer take all of the attachments as well?

Seattle-Q - I'm seriously looking into getting a KA mixer myself as they last a long time and are very versatile. However, getting one on sale is a very good idea as they're pricey.

Apparently, every attachment fits every KA mixer ever made.
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

sroach well done
well done

Seattle-Q,

I may not use it often, but when I do I am very glad that I bought it. sometimes it sits in the cabinet for weeks at a time sometimes it's out on the counter for days on end.

If you have the means I would recommend it, if you own it you'll find a reason to use it.

Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I look at my KitchenAid stand mixer the way I do any grill or tool--an investment in the future. I try to buy the best one I can and I've always found that if I buy more grill or tool than I need now, it will stretch me to grow into it. Send photos to let us know how it works out. SR

jfm0830 well done
well done

I have only been baking for the last six or seven years and I've used three tools to knead dough: My hands, a KA 7-speed portable mixer and a KA stand mixer. While some people like kneading dough with their hands, and find it relaxing and therapeutic, I don't. I also noticed when I graduated to the portable mixer that my doughs were coming out better and more consistent. The same is true when I got my KA stand mixer last summer. I inherited it from my father-in-law who was moving to a small apartment and could no longer use it. He owned it for two years and it was his pride and joy. Since I received that I've been learning to do more types of baking so that I am worthy of my inheritance. I find the doughs I mix in the stand mixer come out the best yet. The other thing I like about it is while the mixer is kneading the dough, I can be doing the cleanup and I'm accomplishing two things at the same time.

I also bought the grinding attachments for the mixer as well as the juicer and sausage stuffer. These accessories All work well for grinding small batches of hamburger, making small batches of sausage or small batches of juice. As long as you don't plan to go into mass production these accessories will serve you well.

That picture of the circa 1950s KA is amazing.
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Return to General Discussion