Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Char-broil or Chargriller

Char-broil or Chargriller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri May 24, 2013 11:06 am
SteveQC rare
rare

Hi,

I am looking to buy a large grill with a sfb. I am looking at either the Chargriller (Super pro + SFB, or Outlaw+SFB) or a Charbroil 700.

What do you think about Char Broil ? It is seem cheap I think, but I didnt saw a Chargriller by my own eyes to compare.

Also, my first choice would be an Chargriller Outlaw+SFB but I cannot find anywhere to buy it in Canada (or web store that could deliver it for a reasonable charge). Homedepot.ca has the SuperPro, but i would really like to have the extra space of the Outlaw. Charbroil seem easier to get here....
Steve

Weber kettle 22", Broil King Crown 90

Post Fri May 24, 2013 3:53 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Welcome, SteveQC! If you can find a Char-Griller retailer he might be able to place a special order for you. Or are you restricted to online ordering for anything Char-Griller?

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:14 pm
SteveQC rare
rare

Thanks for welcoming me back, I had to create another account as I got problem with my other one. I come here everyday since 2008 but I didnt post often (50 post)

I am pretty much restricted to online ordering since there is no retailer of Chargriller around. I have heard that no store want to keep them stock as there is no french on the box and no french instruction. There is so many stupid law like this in Quebec :twisted: .

But I have almost solved my problem, I could rder it through amazon.com and let them ship it to a proxy in Plattsburg, Ny. There is company that rent their adress for a small fee. (25$), then I can make a 2.5h trip to get to Plattsburgh and finally pay the custom fee (50$ about)

Even with my all those fee I will still save 100$ compare to what Chargriller was asking me to ship (about 225$).

Finally I will get my dream grill :D
Steve

Post Sat May 25, 2013 3:02 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Hi Steve!

Sounds like your heart is moved toward the CG, so that's probably your best choice anyway. I'm still in :heart: with mine after over 7 years now. Congratulations to you! :D :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Sat May 25, 2013 10:25 am
SteveQC rare
rare

I would have bought it a long time ago if it was not the avaibility problem.

Can someone tell me how big is the main chamber?
Steve

Post Sat May 25, 2013 5:00 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Better than tell you, I can show you. I own an Outlaw with SFB, and I bought it through Barbecue Country in Edmonton. But I think that Home Depot or Lowe's may be able to het the Outlaw on special order too.

By the way, I'm cleaning this Outlaw up over the next few weeks. This one is 5 years old and needs a bit of cleanup, but keep in mind that it's been out in the elements without a cover for all that time so it's holding up really well.

That changes this year for the better as I've got a large cover for it. I picked up a decent 65" cover at Princess Auto for about $15 (clearance price).

As you can see, the main cooking surface is 36x20 inches (720 sq. inches). In practical terms that's a lot of room. With 2 Traeger racks you can fit 16 slabs of ribs and a couple of small beer-can chickens on it.

I've looked extensively at the Char-Broil rigs and I'm not really a fan. The lid design doesn't allow it to close as tightly as I'd like without modification, and the firebox isn't as good as the CG (vents aren't tight enough and it leaks a bit). There's also a lot less room vertically so it's a bit small. Plus - the CGs double as grills, but I didn't see that feature on the Char-Broils.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 5:09 pm
SteveQC rare
rare

Thank you for the information.

I will order mine this week for an early birthday gift to myself.

This week is the week where I am getting my outdoor kitchen done.
Steve

Post Sat May 25, 2013 6:13 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

SteveQC wrote:
Thank you for the information.

I will order mine this week for an early birthday gift to myself.

This week is the week where I am getting my outdoor kitchen done.

Wow - be sure to post pics of the kitchen, too! Mine's been in planning for a few years now. :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:33 pm
SteveQC rare
rare

Sure, I will post some pic. I was lucky to get my hand on 2 piece of granite countertop for free. One piece is 2'x3' and the other piece is 3'x6'. I will make a hole to integrate a weber kettle and a small sink.

I did the design, then my father is doing all the wood work, as I am not very manual. I am much better to handle IT problem.
Steve

Return to General Discussion