Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Manly Salad

Manly Salad

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 am
Griffin well done
well done

Still trying to eat healthy whenever possible. Plain salad is getting boring, so why not add some steak to it and make it manly?

Took a flat iron out to defrost and then marinated it in red wine with some sprigs of rosemary and thyme from our garden, couple of bay leaves, 1/2 onion roughly chopped and 4 or 5 cloves of garlic roughly chopped for about 4 hours.

While that was marinating, I whipped up a horseradish dressing. First time grating horseradish...that'll clear up your sinuses nicely. Let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

•1 cup mayonnaise
•1 tablespoon minced garlic
•1/2 cup grated horseradish (yes, freshly grated, not out of a jar. I’m not sure how much you would use if you use the jarred stuff)
•Juice of one lemon
•1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
•1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
•1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (we like Louisiana hot sauce, but Franks or Tabasco or whatever you prefer will be fine)
Fired up the Egg at around 600F and grilled the flat iron steak about 2 minutes per side and pulled it roughly around 135 and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While it was resting, we tossed the salad with the dressing. Time to slice, ain't that purdy?

Layed the strips of steak on top of the salad and then shaved some thin slices of Parmesan on top.

I was really impressed with the salad. It was filling and mostly healthy except for that cup of mayo (we did use light mayo, though). Horseradish always pairs nicely with beef and it gave the dressing just a hint of heat, but it was also, cool, creamy and refreshing. I went to bed satisifed. We've been so busy and out of town much, I haven't had much chance to get on the Egg, so it was nice to get back to grilling again.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice! It looks a lot like Qjuju's salad except with beef instead of chicken, and the steak is done just right!

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:10 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin wrote:
While that was marinating, I whipped up a horseradish dressing. First time grating horseradish...that'll clear up your sinuses nicely.

Excellent job on the salad, Griffin! :cheers:

And yes, grating fresh horseradish is quite a tear-jerking experience. Growing it is no less fun - the stuff is considered an invasive weed in some places. The stuff can take over your yard if you don't confine the roots.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 11:44 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Now that's a salad, Griff! I like your way of thinking. 8)
Got beer???

Post Tue May 21, 2013 1:04 pm
sroach well done
well done

Nice looking salad, steak salads are one of my favorites.

Post Tue May 21, 2013 2:34 pm
QJuju well done
well done

That is a fine looking salad, although I would have used Cindy's Real Blue Cheese dressing-- my favorite. Hard to go wrong with steak no matter how you serve it. I believe I am inspired.

I have found that after a year of eating healthy it is all I want to eat or crave. The things I used to eat that are bad don't even appeal to me anymore. Have you found that to be your experience as well? I ask because you mention that in the beginning of your post.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 am
Griffin well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:
- the stuff is considered an invasive weed in some places. The stuff can take over your yard if you don't confine the roots.

I had no idea. Ya learn something new every day.

QJuju wrote:
I have found that after a year of eating healthy it is all I want to eat or crave. The things I used to eat that are bad don't even appeal to me anymore. Have you found that to be your experience as well? I ask because you mention that in the beginning of your post.

I've been doing my best to stick with the Primal diet, but have only been at it for around 7 weeks. I will say that I have lost a lot of cravings. Potatoes don't hold the appeal they once did (except French fries, I miss those), bread I miss less and less, I never think about cookies or chips anymore. For salty snacks, I go with nuts, usually almonds or beef jerky. I do get cravings for hamburgers and pizza occasionally. That's hard to fight, but I don't feel good (upset tummy and heartburn) afterwards. IN 7 weeks, I've lost 10 more lbs (mostly due to diet, little exercise), my A1C went from 8.1 to 5.4, and my blood sugar went from 303 to hovering around the 90-100 mark most mornings when I get up. I feel great and have tons of energy as well. Oh...and I'm not hungry. I eat all the meat, veggies and fruit I want. As they say on Primal, if our ancestors could catch it, kill it or find it, you can eat it. :D

Post Wed May 22, 2013 9:35 am
QJuju well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
I've been doing my best to stick with the Primal diet, but have only been at it for around 7 weeks. I will say that I have lost a lot of cravings. Potatoes don't hold the appeal they once did (except French fries, I miss those), bread I miss less and less, I never think about cookies or chips anymore. For salty snacks, I go with nuts, usually almonds or beef jerky. I do get cravings for hamburgers and pizza occasionally. That's hard to fight, but I don't feel good (upset tummy and heartburn) afterwards. IN 7 weeks, I've lost 10 more lbs (mostly due to diet, little exercise), my A1C went from 8.1 to 5.4, and my blood sugar went from 303 to hovering around the 90-100 mark most mornings when I get up. I feel great and have tons of energy as well. Oh...and I'm not hungry. I eat all the meat, veggies and fruit I want. As they say on Primal, if our ancestors could catch it, kill it or find it, you can eat it. :D

Sounds very much like my story. In January 2012 my A1c was 11.5 and I was taking 9 meds. I didn't do the primal/paleo, but similar to be sure. I read 4 books on the subject and a lot more blogs/forums/websites before piecing together my own plan. I haven't had sugar of any kind, grains of any kind, alcohol, fruit, rice, beans, or anything made with flour since February 1st 2012. I do lift weights 5 days a week and work with a personal trainer one of those days. Not because I think it helps me lose weight, but I like it, needed to increase my muscle mass, and I think it is part of a healthy lifestyle. My A1c in April was 5.2, cholesterol normal, blood pressure normal, I'm off all but 2 meds, and I have lost about 152 pounds. The best part for me is wife has lost 82, daughter 115, son 90, and countless others at our works have joined in.

I tell you this because I want you to know that the cravings will all go away. Stick with it. Stop eating carbage and none of it will sound good in short fashion.

Here is a before...

and one with steven...

And 2 weeks ago...

I will stop hijacking your thread now... My anti-carbage passion runeth over from time to time. :D

Post Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 am
sroach well done
well done

Holy Moly Q, that is awesome progress, you could argue they are three different people.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 10:17 am
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

This crew sure knows how to grill a steak perfectly. It would also be awesome over a salad of grilled romaine lettuce hearts.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

sroach wrote:
Holy Moly Q, that is awesome progress, you could argue they are three different people.
With the last one apparently being a Christopher Kimball impersonator! :wink:

Post Thu May 23, 2013 1:59 pm
Griffin well done
well done

:shock: Wow, Juju!! That is awesome. Congrats. You inspired me to work at it even more. :D

Steven wrote:
This crew sure knows how to grill a steak perfectly. It would also be awesome over a salad of grilled romaine lettuce hearts.

Thanks Steven!. :D

Post Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Awesome salad, Grif! And that is one helluva before and after, Qjuju! Proud of you!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:47 am
QJuju well done
well done

I have been without a PC for about 4 days so I apologize for the late reply. I appreciate the kind words... and I aint done! :!:

Return to General Discussion