Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Buffa-Cue Shrimp

Buffa-Cue Shrimp

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed May 22, 2013 3:32 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

It's been a while since I made these - they're on the Primal Grill website (as well as a few of Steven's books, I believe):
http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_details.asp?RecipeID=71&EpisodeID=13

Here's the basic sauce - melted butter plus a couple of hot sauces I had in the fridge. I had to skimp on the butter a bit because I didn't have much, and the dish doesn't work well at all with light margarine. :D

The sauces weren't really that hot at all. Next time I'll use a different mix.

I didn't have U-10s. These are smaller - 18-30 count I think?

Shrimp this size are literally done in a few minutes. Here they are going on...

... and after the first turn (both sides have now been sauced)....

... and they're done! Total cooking time was only about 6 minutes in total on a screaming hot grill.

NOTE: that's actually a really big bowl. There were more than enough for two people even with the smaller shrimp.

Next time I'm going to try to find bigger shrimp, use a hotter sauce and use a bit more butter in the sauce. These were great, but they were fairly small when fully cooked. I still love this recipe, though, as it tastes fantastic.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I like that idea! Those shrimp do look tasty, CBG! Sounds like a more enticing meal than a hot seafood cocktail sauce. I'd help you eat those anytime, and like you, especially with more heat! :D :thumbup:
Got beer???

Post Wed May 22, 2013 4:24 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

beercuer wrote:
I like that idea! Those shrimp do look tasty, CBG! Sounds like a more enticing meal than a hot seafood cocktail sauce. I'd help you eat those anytime, and like you, especially with more heat! :D :thumbup:

Thanks, BC! You should try 'em out - the marinade is simple and the link to the recipe is at the top of the post. :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 7:34 am
sroach well done
well done

CBG,

I will be making those this weekend for sure. They do look tasty. Can I ask what did you serve them with?

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This is 1 shrimp recipe I can't remember trying and clearly I've been missing out. :wink: My boss was telling me about a local grocery store that's been selling big shrimp for $12.99/lb but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Hey...I wonder how well the recipe would translate to "Buffa-Cue Lobster"!

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:49 am
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

ScreamingChicken wrote:
This is 1 shrimp recipe I can't remember trying and clearly I've been missing out. :wink: My boss was telling me about a local grocery store that's been selling big shrimp for $12.99/lb but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Hey...I wonder how well the recipe would translate to "Buffa-Cue Lobster"!

The same idea crossed my mind too. The butter and hot sauce on a lobster might just taste fantastic! :D

This would be one of those instances where I might keep the heat of the sauce down a bit, as I wouldn't want to overpower the taste of the lobster.

As an aside - there's also one huge thing I learned a long time ago when marinating fish or shellfish in lemon juice: keep the marinating time short (30-60 minutes). If you marinate seafood overnight in highly-acidic marinades overnight you'll find it actually "cooks" the fish. This is great if you want to serve ceviche but not so good otherwise (though it might make the shellfish go on the skewer more easily).

Post Mon May 27, 2013 11:38 am
QJuju well done
well done

Butter... Hot Sauce... Shrimp... Grill... perfect-- I must try this soon!

Return to General Discussion