Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion "Theme of the Week" Idea Poll

"Theme of the Week" Idea Poll

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

What do you folks think/feel about the idea of having a "Theme of the Week" cookout. We could consolidate all the themed cookouts in one thread for all who wish to participate. Then we get to see and appreciate everyone's take on a particular cook. By no means am I implying a competition throwdown... more like in the spirit of an art show. So for example, we could have weeks of burgers or dogs or ribs or wings, or pizza, etc., etc., or even go by national/cultural categories like Italian, Mexican, Hawaiian, Asian, whatever. I see that we need to generate enough interest and participation. And perhaps the Mods would like to declare the themes? Let's all talk about this.
Thanks for your responses. :D :bbq:
Got beer???

Post Thu May 23, 2013 7:29 am
sroach well done
well done

HAHAH, that's a great idea.

Maybe announce the week before. Next week is going to be pizza week, or kabob week.. then have at it.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 9:08 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We could certainly give it a try...

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:02 am
QJuju well done
well done

I've seen that to be fun other places. I'd be game to give it a go.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That would be fun! I especially like the "art show" idea instead of a competitive one, because:

A) A good-looking pic doesn't necessarily mean a good-tasting dish, and a not-so-good-looking pic may hide a really great dish. (And I speak from experience as I run a pen-making business on the side and sell stuff at a lot of shows every year).
    B) It shows off the diversity of members of this board - their styles, techniques, grills, creativity and so on
    C) Competitiveness is far too overrated. :twisted:
It should be all about "What could I do with this idea?" rather than "How can I win this?". Besides - this site runs contests a few times a year anyway.

And for a bonus, wouldn't it be cool if Steven or some of the rest of the staff posted an entry as well?

Weekly might be a bit much, though, as that's 52 new ideas a year and a lot of members might not want or be able to keep up. How about a montly theme instead?

The other reason I like a monthly theme is because you can really but some thought into it and do some planning, whereas weekly you might be scrambling a bit if you really wanted to participate in this idea a lot (and I know a lot of us would). And that often means not rushing through a dish or cutting corners. I for one have posted the odd dish and then thought a week later "Gee - I should have done this, or added that" and so on.

So how about a monthly or even bi-weekly theme? (And I think bi-weekly might even be the way to go here too).

BC - please send me a PM as we can possibly put together an actuall poll for our members, too.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 12:01 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

Count me in for once a month :thumbup:
Last edited by tex_toby on Thu May 23, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Thu May 23, 2013 12:35 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I'll throw in my two cents worth here. I think it's an interesting idea first off. Next I think once a month might be a realistic timeframe. It gives people time to get ready. For people who can't do it during the week, it gives them multiple weekends to try something out. I agree with everybody who says we should leave the competitiveness out of that. One of the things I've always liked about this board is it's a friendly group of people who are sharing what they do, as opposed to trying to one up each other. I think it can be a "grate" learning experience for all of us, but if you make it competitive it changes the whole atmosphere.

Plus realistically if you think about it: while smokin'gal seems like a wonderful person who is always very kind and encouraging in her replies to all the folks here, if this became competitive she would probably smoke our butts every week she entered. Me, I don't have a problem with that-I thoroughly enjoy her amazing posts and learn lots from them. But if she or anyone else was winning all the time, it might discourage others from entering. Also someone who is winning all the time might feel bad and not post to give someone else a chance. I wouldn't want to miss a post by a good cook because the poster is trying to give some others a break. In addition, what would we do about pros like Steven? I'd love to see anything he came up with, but it would complicate things if this was a competitive venture.

In terms of learning experience, we could pick topics to suit areas of interest tow the members. So cooking on a wok, cooking a turkey on the grill, pizza on the gril, fish on the grill, veggies, breakfast the list goes on. ln other words things that are great on the grill, but not everybody does them that way.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Thu May 23, 2013 1:52 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Great idea. I'd be down for once a month. Maybe bi-weekly, but definitely once a month.

Post Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

jfm0830 wrote:
In addition, what would we do about pros like Steven? I'd love to see anything he came up with, but it would complicate things if this was a competitive venture.

That's why I figured the non-competitive aspect would be a good one. It would allow Steven to show his prowess as well without anyone feeling uncomfortable. And I'd bet there would be a number of members who'd be pretty good contenders if it were competitive.

Keep in mind that this site usually has a few contests each year and I hope this continues. This should be a good outlet for those who have a competitive streak, anyway.

So - how about I post an actual poll again? I'm thinking the options ought to be "none", "weekly" bi-weekly" and "monthly".
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Fri May 24, 2013 4:25 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Most grate-ful, Friends, for all your valuable input. The thought also came to me that we could regard it as our own little online "Block Party" kind of thing. Yes, that makes it even sound suggestive of festivities, community, good times, etc. What do you say we even call it that, like (if we get to do this), "This month's (or whatever) Block Party is (or features) ... (eg., hamburgers).?
:bbq: :cheers:
Got beer???

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:25 am
tex_toby well done
well done

I like it, bc! :thumbup:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Fri May 24, 2013 12:21 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I like the idea too! I think monthly would be good too. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat May 25, 2013 3:15 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Friends: I know sometimes it is easy to overlook the "Stickies" section, so I just want to remind all that the voting poll is up there.
Here if you want a magic carpet ride. Please vote.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24348

Dyal_SC wrote:
I like the idea too! I think monthly would be good too. :)

Woohoo! Thanks, Dyal & Toby. :cheers: Here's a brewski, and welcome to the Block Party! :bbq:
Last edited by beercuer on Sun May 26, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Got beer???

Post Sat May 25, 2013 2:25 pm
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

The poll is up and it's a sticky so we don't lose it. Please vote - it should be up till Wednesday, Mar 29.

Post Sun May 26, 2013 2:27 pm
Steven Grilling Guru
Grilling Guru

I think this is a TERRIFIC idea. Themes will help focus creativity while suggesting the infinite possibilities for iconic foods ranging from steaks to ribs, from pizzas to desserts on the grill; from Mexican to Thai to Texan. I think that once a month is the right frequency: it gives us time to consider the options, plan menus, fire up our grills and take photos. I suggest we start June 1 and if you like, we could start with one dish that almost all of us grill often: steak. I'll join to the extent that my travel schedule permits. Let's refine the idea through your posts and draw up a list of themes based on your suggestions. Perhaps our new community manager, Christine, can help put the suggestions together. Finally, I agree--this should be cooperative and coeducational, not competitive. I'm psyched!

SR

Next

Return to General Discussion